The Classical Music Thread

Thank you so much. I'm looking into it now. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iJnJjpMdT3Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>era,

No smoother more adept seducer than Don Giovanni. Watch the studly Rodney Gilfrey conquer Zerlina

Title: The Thieving Magpie Overture (La Gazza Ladra)
Composer: Rossini

I've always enjoyed this version that Kubrick chose for "A Clockwork Orange"

Title: The Thieving Magpie Overture (La Gazza Ladra)
Composer: Rossini

I've always enjoyed this version that Kubrick chose for "A Clockwork Orange"

Great piece, great version and great movie.

Title: Nessun Dorma
Composer: Puccini
Performer: Luciano Pavarotti

Brilliant.

My ex-brother in law is an opera singer and always said Luciano is nothing but a trained parrot.

There is no uglier emotion than envy, to me.

Title: Pizzicato
Composer: Delibes

Here's another piece where you might not know either the title or the composer, but you'll recognize the music (or maybe not, depends on how many cartoons you watched when you were a kid).

Title: Final Chorus from Fidelio
Composer: Beethoven
Performance: Seiji Ozawa conducting Vienna Philharmonic

I Saw Seiji conduct a number of times. A few at Tanglewood. What a place to see a show.

Title Night on Bald Mountain
Composer Mussorgsky

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCEDfZgDPS8

Freshman year of college after drinking a few adult beverages with friends we were walking down the halls of a ladies dorm when classical music is playing from a room. I yelled. " Listen, it's Night on Bald Mountain" which it was and the guys laughed thinking I was making it up. The lady who was listening came running out thinking it was someone who appreciated classical music. Instead, it was half drunk freshman.... Disappointed she went back in her room and whenever she saw me on campus over the next few years gave me dirty looks as she couldn't figure out if it was a lucky guess (nope) or I actually recognized the music (yup) or if I was just an a**hole ( true). It is pretty distinctive, the music that is.....

I Saw Seiji conduct a number of times. A few at Tanglewood. What a place to see a show.
I never went to see the BSO when Seiji was conducting - huge oversight on my part. :sosad:

I have been to Tanglewood, and that venue is one of the reasons the Berkshires made our list of possible retirement locations.

Title Night on Bald Mountain
Composer Mussorgsky

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCEDfZgDPS8

Freshman year of college after drinking a few adult beverages with friends we were walking down the halls of a ladies dorm when classical music is playing from a room. I yelled. " Listen, it's Night on Bald Mountain" which it was and the guys laughed thinking I was making it up. The lady who was listening came running out thinking it was someone who appreciated classical music. Instead, it was half drunk freshman.... Disappointed she went back in her room and whenever she saw me on campus over the next few years gave me dirty looks as she couldn't figure out if it was a lucky guess (nope) or I actually recognized the music (yup) or if I was just an a**hole ( true). It is pretty distinctive, the music that is.....

I first saw and loved this sometime in the mid to late fifties on a Fantasia re release (and again later)., the music, the fantasy and the animation make this my all-time Disney favorite. Love Bald Mountain and thanks for bringing the Classical Thread back to page one. Lots of wonderful music,

Cheers

Last edited:
Title: Song Of The Angel
Composer: Tavener
Performance: Jane Sheldon - Soprano

Here's a little something in the spirit of the season.

If you like that, then you may wish to check out post #59 (Simple Gifts).

Last edited:
Title: 3rd Symphony - 4th movement
Composer: Beethoven

Although no one is quite sure of when Beethoven was born, it's accepted that it was around December 15, 1770.

So it's the 250th anniversary of his birth. The local classical music station here is all over it - lots of Beethoven, every day.

Back