The corona virus

OP
aloyouis

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score

Here we go!!! The LEFT demanding never ending restrictions!!!

Who would have thought???? SHEEP!

johnlocke

Reaction score
My friends in philosophy and life are heroes. Congratulations on a job well done this year and opening a new art gallery in Jackson Hole, WI. Get outta that hellhole that is CA.

After suffering under the lockdowns they fought along with help from the incredible Pacific Legal Foundation whom I have worked with over the years on environmental issues and they won. They reopened this day last year.

And anyone who thinks art is non-essential doesn't understand art and those that call any business non-essential understand nothing about life.

Quent Cordair

"Today we celebrate the first anniversary of reopening the gallery in Napa, after having been shut down and locked out for seven weeks. Supporters marched and cheered in front of the gallery. Threats and condemnations were called in, written in, screamed from across the street. Demands to have us jailed were repeated in council chambers. Congressmen singled us out for reprobation. Reporters and TV cameras were bees to a hothouse garden. Old friends disappeared. New friends appeared. Authorities threatened fines and restraining orders, implying worse. Armed security was hired and posted.

Happy Freedom Day! (aka QCFA Day, Living Day, Not Dying Is Not Living Day, Resistance Day, Resurrection Day, FU Day … You’re welcome to vote for your favorite or offer an alternative in the comments below. April 27th, the day we posted our declaration to reopen, is already our Independence Day.)

To our May 4th’er friends, we reply, with a smile, “But you are the force. There is none greater in the universe. What you do with your force, with yourself, with your life, is up to you.”

#notdyingisnotliving

83146340_280919706652298_6656842124796038279_n.jpg

johnlocke

Reaction score
From Quent in the comments and oh, however so true.

Of the essence, the "greater" good isn't, never has been, and never will be.

"The tribal notion of “the common good” has served as the moral justification of most social systems—and of all tyrannies—in history. The degree of a society’s enslavement or freedom corresponded to the degree to which that tribal slogan was invoked or ignored.

'“The common good” (or “the public interest”) is an undefined and undefinable concept: there is no such entity as “the tribe” or “the public”; the tribe (or the public or society) is only a number of individual men. Nothing can be good for the tribe as such; “good” and “value” pertain only to a living organism—to an individual living organism—not to a disembodied aggregate of relationships.
'“The common good” is a meaningless concept, unless taken literally, in which case its only possible meaning is: the sum of the good of all the individual men involved. But in that case, the concept is meaningless as a moral criterion: it leaves open the question of what is the good of individual men and how does one determine it?

"It is not, however, in its literal meaning that that concept is generally used. It is accepted precisely for its elastic, undefinable, mystical character which serves, not as a moral guide, but as an escape from morality. Since the good is not applicable to the disembodied, it becomes a moral blank check for those who attempt to embody it.

"When “the common good” of a society is regarded as something apart from and superior to the individual good of its members, it means that the good of some men takes precedence over the good of others, with those others consigned to the status of sacrificial animals. It is tacitly assumed, in such cases, that “the common good” means “the good of the majority” as against the minority or the individual. Observe the significant fact that that assumption is tacit: even the most collectivized mentalities seem to sense the impossibility of justifying it morally. But “the good of the majority,” too, is only a pretense and a delusion: since, in fact, the violation of an individual’s rights means the abrogation of all rights, it delivers the helpless majority into the power of any gang that proclaims itself to be “the voice of society” and proceeds to rule by means of physical force, until deposed by another gang employing the same means.

"If one begins by defining the good of individual men, one will accept as proper only a society in which that good is achieved and achievable. But if one begins by accepting “the common good” as an axiom and regarding individual good as its possible but not necessary consequence (not necessary in any particular case), one ends up with such a gruesome absurdity as Soviet Russia, a country professedly dedicated to “the common good,” where, with the exception of a minuscule clique of rulers, the entire population has existed in subhuman misery for over two generations."
~ Ayn Rand, Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal

Inspector_50

Reaction score
I've got my vaccine appointment set for this Friday. I'm excited, I know it takes a couple of weeks to develop the protection, but the end is in sight for me. My nightmare scenario during all of this was getting it and then giving it to my Mom who is 74 with COPD and killing her. My Mom got her first shot a couple of weeks ago now, so she should be good.

Soon this nightmare will be over for us, and I hope the rest of humanity soon thereafter.
You are a great person man, and I say that because you thought outside of yourself. That is the one thing that has given me great disappointment with people since this started is not caring about giving it to someone else. It was always, I am not afraid of it, or I will take the chance. You thought about your older mother and that gave you excitement to know that she will be more safe. You are a good man.

NSPatsFan

I'm disrespectful to dirt.
Reaction score
I'm Down From Canada and they think I'm slow Eh?
You are a great person man, and I say that because you thought outside of yourself. That is the one thing that has given me great disappointment with people since this started is not caring about giving it to someone else. It was always, I am not afraid of it, or I will take the chance. You thought about your older mother and that gave you excitement to know that she will be more safe. You are a good man.
Thanks man. I've always been a care more about others than myself kind of person. Sometimes to my own detriment. 🤣Some of it is selfish of course, the thought of having to live with knowing I'd killed my Mom, or really anyone is a good deterrent for me, and of course I've heard horror stories about people who have gotten COVID and the unimaginable suffering they've endured. But yeah my first thought is to protect those around me.

i resent being told i don't care about others because i won't take an emergency shot.
I mean, I don't know your situation of course, but that's an unfortunate fact of the virus. If you have a choice to get vaccinated and choose not to and then get sick and make someone else sick and that person suffers and/or dies it's your responsibility. If you can live with that more power to you, but I couldn't.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Thanks man. I've always been a care more about others than myself kind of person. Sometimes to my own detriment. 🤣Some of it is selfish of course, the thought of having to live with knowing I'd killed my Mom, or really anyone is a good deterrent for me, and of course I've heard horror stories about people who have gotten COVID and the unimaginable suffering they've endured. But yeah my first thought is to protect those around me.

I mean, I don't know your situation of course, but that's an unfortunate fact of the virus. If you have a choice to get vaccinated and choose not to and then get sick and make someone else sick and that person suffers and/or dies it's your responsibility. If you can live with that more power to you, but I couldn't.
Yeah, my friend went through the same thing, he lost his mom to cancer, and was afraid that he could pass covid on to his dad, and it caused a lot of anxiety. He was very relieved when him and his dad got the shot. Its almost harder to watch someone you love go through it than yourself. I watched my wife get very sick from it. There were some days when she was in the hospital you go through those scenarios in your head.

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score
@NSPatsFan
we are under state mandate to wear masks and social distance. per the information put out to us as fact, it is 100% prevented by that. and others have the choice whether to risk their own health or not by going in public if they are nervous. i don't feel the need to care about someone else's health more than they do about their own, no. to each his own 🤷‍♀️

NSPatsFan

I'm disrespectful to dirt.
Reaction score
I'm Down From Canada and they think I'm slow Eh?
@NSPatsFan
we are under state mandate to wear masks and social distance. per the information put out to us as fact, it is 100% prevented by that. and others have the choice whether to risk their own health or not by going in public if they are nervous. i don't feel the need to care about someone else's health more than they do about their own, no. to each his own 🤷‍♀️
Yeah, but would you voluntarily wear a mask and social distance if you weren't required to? I doubt it.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
Yeah, but would you voluntarily wear a mask and social distance if you weren't required to? I doubt it.
I lost my sister to COPD two years ago, and its hard enough even without a lung virus going around. I would have worried endlessly about her if she was alive during the pandemic. My wife and I did lose a good friend that we have known almost 20 years. He had a 4 year old little girl and its tough when we go over and I see her, she worshiped him.

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score
nope. people who are nervous can wear them and stay distanced or stay home and they are safe per information given to us by the govt.
and some would, so thats that, non political forum...He just said he felt happy that him and his sick mom could feel less afraid of her getting something that would likely kill her because of her condition, thats it.
you literally said this:

Inspector_50 said:
That is the one thing that has given me great disappointment with people since this started is not caring about giving it to someone else. It was always, I am not afraid of it, or I will take the chance
that is what i was responding to. i have no problem with people's choice to get the shot.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
nope. people who are nervous can wear them and stay distanced or stay home and they are safe per information given to us by the govt.

you literally said this:

that is what i was responding to. i have no problem with people's choice to get the shot.
I was talking to him, I did not direct this toward you. If you took something away from what I said to him that you feel as a knock on you, I am sorry, but I said what I said because that is how I feel about it. I do not know you, or have I ever met you. I spoke from the experiences I have seen in my life with people around me. I will not ever tell someone what they should do or not do, that has not changed, but I am going to express how I feel on things, but its not up to me
to tell anyone what to do with their lives or in their lives, so what I said, has not changed. Basically I liked that he thought of his mother of his own safety.
As far as the quote you grabbed, I still feel that way. Its not up to me to tell people what to do. There are people who do a lot of things I do not agree with, but who am I to tell them what to do. So no I have no problem with choices people make. I assume that choice will either work out for them or it wont. Its not my decision.

Anyway, this is supposed to be non-political

Last edited:

Inspector_50

Reaction score
I play in a golf league and one of my partners got it pretty bad in January and told me last week he can't walk 40 yards without running completely out of gas, so he's out for the first time in 27 years. Says he hasn't improved at all, but already had COPD to begin with.

He became the 9th person in my little Venn diagram of friends, acquaintances and relatives, approximately 75 people or so, to test positive. 3 of them were asymptomatic and the rest ran the gamut from mildly ill to wiped out, but he seems to be the hardest hit. I sat at a table last week that had 4 of them at it, but didn't give it a second thought until now.

I wonder how close my experience is to others.

As an aside, I was at a restaurant last week and saw a woman I hadn't seen for a while. She was completely trashed and totally giddy because it was the first time she'd been out to eat and drink in over a year. She ain't the only one, either. A lot of folks are just now venturing out into the world.
I only knew of a few that I was close to that had it. Two that died that I knew, 1 was perfectly healthy, the other had diabetes. My wife was hit pretty hard, week long hospital stay, had her spleen taken out. Was pretty rough. Others that I knew, said it felt like a bad cold. I think its random enough that people will experience different associations with it. You actually knew more than I did that actually had it.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
I mean, if he's playing golf in January, perhaps it was actually pneumonia - or even frostbite? Either way, that's one dedicated golfer.
Depends on the part of the country you are at. Some states January, you can play golf. I assume he was tested for covid, but I am not sure being in the cold can give you pneumonia, no matter what mom used to say, its caused by breathing in bacteria in that can go to your lungs. Honestly being in the cold would not be the issue, its when you come inside where its usually warmer than normal with the fire or the heat turned on and where bacteria thrive.

3 Point Stan

POW! Right in the kissah.
Reaction score
Depends on the part of the country you are at. Some states January, you can play golf. I assume he was tested for covid, but I am not sure being in the cold can give you pneumonia, no matter what mom used to say, its caused by breathing in bacteria in that can go to your lungs. Honestly being in the cold would not be the issue, its when you come inside where its usually warmer than normal with the fire or the heat turned on and where bacteria thrive.
Thank you for thinking I was being serious here.

:rolleyes: