The Death Penalty

Inspector_50

Reaction score
This one is hard to really take a side on. Do I want some people that did evil things dead? Yeah I have seen things that I would want that person dead for doing what they did. The issue is, its all over the map. In some states you have a guy getting executed for a murder he did at 17 when he is 45 years old, then in other states you have a guy that killed 5 kids who dont get executed. I will be honest, if I did something and the choice was spend my life in jail or be executed...that would be a tough choice. So, its really hard to say. I am not really for or against, I just think if its going to exist, it needs a lot of work.

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
This is why it is such a bad idea as of now.

AnOldTroll

Reaction score
My solution would be take those convicted beyond a shadow of doubt out on a boat like waay out there, push them overboard. and well let whatever happens be.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
With todays technology and ability to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt I am all for it. That said, I think the crime should be one of such magnitude that the possibility of rehab is futile and the only cure is the DP.
Still nothing is 100 percent, but I cannot say that if someone harmed someone close to me that I would be against it, but then maybe serving the rest of your life in jail is just as bad.

shecolt

Reaction score
The death penalty was a topic of discussion today on the FB page of a Ft. Wayne TV station. The discussion was prompted by the grisly murder of a man. Those who committed this heinous act were caught with the body parts and have confessed. So, it's not like this would be a case of an innocent person receiving the punishment of death.

However, the reactions were mixed. There were those who wanted them both to die a gruesome death. There were others who wanted a life sentence for one, but not the other. There were those who would have been more lenient because they felt the two men needed psychiatric help.

All I know is that I would have a hard time assigning the death penalty to anyone. I'd be more likely to give these creeps a long time to a lifetime to rot in jail.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
One wrongly executed person is way too many, though.
How many otherwise avoided murders (due to the death penalty looming) are you willing to allow to be killed?

Who's side are you on? The victims or the murderers?

I'm on the side of the victims so they can NOT be murdered.

And before you go there, do you know why I don't drive 90 on the freeway?

Steve-o

TACOS
Reaction score
How many otherwise avoided murders (due to the death penalty looming) are you willing to allow to be killed?

Who's side are you on? The victims or the murderers?

I'm on the side of the victims so they can NOT be murdered.

And before you go there, do you know why I don't drive 90 on the freeway?
Again, one single person wrongly put to death by the state is too many.

You don't seem to trust the state to do anything, but you trust them to put people to death?

patswin

WTF
Political Forum Moderator
Reaction score

You don't seem to trust the state to do anything, but you trust them to put people to death?
I think of outfits like the Innocence Project who've gotten quite a few convictions overturned. It's a tough issue. There have been people executed who were no-doubters in terms of their guilt and the horror of their crimes, and I don't disagree with those.
But as you note what about someone who is revealed by technology to be not guilty? If I was a DA that prosecuted that guy I don't know how I'd sleep at night.

Perhaps with the advances in DNA there will be less doubt about someone's guilt in the future, as opposed to revisiting old cases and finding out they didn't do the crime. I don't know, just throwing it out there.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score

So you are willing to sacrifice many innocent victims...

Interesting.

Inspector_50

Reaction score
I think of outfits like the Innocence Project who've gotten quite a few convictions overturned. It's a tough issue. There have been people executed who were no-doubters in terms of their guilt and the horror of their crimes, and I don't disagree with those.
But as you note what about someone who is revealed by technology to be not guilty? If I was a DA that prosecuted that guy I don't know how I'd sleep at night.

Perhaps with the advances in DNA there will be less doubt about someone's guilt in the future, as opposed to revisiting old cases and finding out they didn't do the crime. I don't know, just throwing it out there.
I mean if I was pushed into saying which way I would go, I would say that I am against the death penalty, but I do not fight on a wall for that opinion, because as I said, its hard to think about some things people have done and say, oh yeah
he should still live. I guess one of the issues I have is, its really all over the place. I have seen people executed for something they did 30 years ago when they were 19 or 20 that pales to what others have done and only got 25 years in prison.
I think the unevenness of it is where I have the biggest issue. Texas was killing everyone while people who killed a child was getting out on parole in other states and yeah I know that is a state decision and that is how we want things, but it really made for some pretty messed up stories.

There was a documentary on a prison guard in Texas who basically was the guy who took the person in and strapped them down and spent the last hour with them, and he had to actually resign from doing it because
it took a huge toll on his mental state. He would say that he knew that it was his job and so he did that to the best of his ability but there were a number of times he took that guilt home or he felt that the person did not deserve
their sentence. I think sometimes we forget how many people are affected by things and its hard to make things black and white. Like I said I just have a hard time saying yes or no on it, because I really can see both sides.

deec77

Reaction score

I agree I’m actually leaning with you and inspector......unless it comes to a child then I’m hard pressed to find a reason not too without really compelling evidence.

~Dee~

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
I agree I’m actually leaning with you and inspector......unless it comes to a child then I’m hard pressed to find a reason not too without really compelling evidence.

~Dee~
Inspector?

Rumor was he quit this place the other day. Did he lie about that?

Steve-o

TACOS
Reaction score
There are alternatives to the death penalty, such as life imprisonment, so the "you don't care about the children" angle is weak.

Coltsfan2theend

Custom Titles, we don't need no custom titles
Reaction score
I think the death penalty has a place for the most heinous crimes and for sure when the person convicted for sure did it. There was a local murder many years ago where two people were convicted and sent to death row. Many years later, the conviction was reset and they were freed. They could've been retried but didn't. They sued the state and won a settlement. Is there innocent people on death row, for sure. Is there people that deserve it, for sure. The big problem is that they sit on death row so long, sometimes natural causes take them because of the legal process involved with those types of cases.

He still has many hurdles to go through to get his money also.