The Fitness Thread

It's been a while. I'm still maintaining my routine, it's one of the things that has got me through these hellish past couple months. Had a little scare at the dentist today. They always check our blood pressure right off the bat. Mine was really high. Like so high that I actually noticed that something wasn't right. :ROFLMAO: They didn't retake it and the more I thought about it I wondered if it had something to do with the way I had my hoodie sleeve pushed up. It was one of those wrist monitors so I pushed my sleeve up past my elbow. I'm thinking maybe that kind of cut off my circulation a little and made things go haywire but I'm not a doctor so WTF do I know? Anyway this made me decide that I should probably have a blood pressure monitor at home so I can check it regularly since my doctor just recently told me that he was moving my check ups to once a year instead of every six months. I have been doing a little looking on Amazon and there are a lot to choose from. Do any of you have any recommendations?

It's been a while. I'm still maintaining my routine, it's one of the things that has got me through these hellish past couple months. Had a little scare at the dentist today. They always check our blood pressure right off the bat. Mine was really high. Like so high that I actually noticed that something wasn't right. :ROFLMAO: They didn't retake it and the more I thought about it I wondered if it had something to do with the way I had my hoodie sleeve pushed up. It was one of those wrist monitors so I pushed my sleeve up past my elbow. I'm thinking maybe that kind of cut off my circulation a little and made things go haywire but I'm not a doctor so WTF do I know? Anyway this made me decide that I should probably have a blood pressure monitor at home so I can check it regularly since my doctor just recently told me that he was moving my check ups to once a year instead of every six months. I have been doing a little looking on Amazon and there are a lot to choose from. Do any of you have any recommendations?

My cardiologist recommended this specific model. Cheapest I found it was online at Office Depot (crazy, I know). Order details below.

Omron Evolv Wireless Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor - For Blood Pressure - Bluetooth Connectivity, Clinically Validated, Irregular Heartbeat Detection, BP Level Indicator
Item #8453541

Unit Price: $75.99/each

Qty Ordered: 1

Attachments

• F474755B-7188-4172-9DAA-0B40417C6B2D.jpeg
    F474755B-7188-4172-9DAA-0B40417C6B2D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
Hey Alk. Not sure what your routine is,You are younger than me. Too much to think about for you. Definitely screws up the BP
Do more walking. Helps me. 25 to 40k steps a day. Mostly work related. I am on the upper end. I do bands, also, I believe that energy has to be released somehow. Or you can pop.

Yep Omron. Not sure what model I have. but 2 people can keep track. Got it when wifey had upper aorta replaced.

Its challenging for me to keep the BP down

Try to get better sleep. I struggle.

I am realizing it doesn't get any easier the older you get,

I think my blood pressure is most related to what I think about. Changing that is difficult.

TMI? I tend to do that. But know you are in those thoughts almost daily, Be well, do your best.

Attachments

• image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hey Alk. Not sure what your routine is,You are younger than me. Too much to think about for you. Definitely screws up the BP
Do more walking. Helps me. 25 to 40k steps a day. Mostly work related. I am on the upper end. I do bands, also, I believe that energy has to be released somehow. Or you can pop.

Yep Omron. Not sure what model I have. but 2 people can keep track. Got it when wifey had upper aorta replaced.

Its challenging for me to keep the BP down

Try to get better sleep. I struggle.

I am realizing it doesn't get any easier the older you get,

I think my blood pressure is most related to what I think about. Changing that is difficult.

TMI? I tend to do that. But know you are in those thoughts almost daily, Be well, do your best.
Thanks for the tips. I work out five days a week. Two days of running 3 plus miles and three days of weights. I got my blood pressure meter. The reading was lower than at the dentist but still too high for my liking. I'm afraid I'm just battling genetics here. My dad and his dad both had blood pressure/heart problems. I was on a very small dose of blood pressure and cholesterol medications up until last June when my doctor decided it was safe to take me off of them since I had improved my health so much. I'm not scheduled to go back until December but I don't think I'm going to wait that long.

Thanks for the tips. I work out five days a week. Two days of running 3 plus miles and three days of weights. I got my blood pressure meter. The reading was lower than at the dentist but still too high for my liking. I'm afraid I'm just battling genetics here. My dad and his dad both had blood pressure/heart problems. I was on a very small dose of blood pressure and cholesterol medications up until last June when my doctor decided it was safe to take me off of them since I had improved my health so much. I'm not scheduled to go back until December but I don't think I'm going to wait that long.
Don’t wait. Some of those blood pressure medications can cause sleepiness. Simple answers to take it before bed. Also, bring your new blood pressure monitor to the doctors office with you and have them check it against their machine.

Well, the no meds experiment is over. I just got put back on my blood pressure medication. This whole thing kind of freaked me out a little. I asked my doctor if I could continue working out today but haven't got an answer so I think I might just take the rest of the week off and let these little pills work their magic.

After a med change to correct a weird heartbeat scare and a three week "vacation" which involved 20K plus steps almost every day, this was my first official workout. Had a checkup with the doctor first and all of the numbers looked great so I went out for a three mile run in this lovely Midwest heat. I really REALLY love AC right now. 😂 Tomorrow I will start back on my weight training.

that's honestly one of my biggest worries w/vacation...getting out of shape. i'm bad on my own 😄

that's honestly one of my biggest worries w/vacation...getting out of shape. i'm bad on my own 😄
I was not good at all on vacation. I ate whatever the hell I wanted. I'm sure all of the walking helped to offset thst a bit though.

Kind of a funny situation at the gym today. It all started with a post by one of my friends on Facebook. She posted about how she was picking up a food order and the employee told her that it was pretty heavy and asked if she was sure that she could lift it. She went on to say how that really bugs her when people just assume that she isn't strong enough. Anyway, fast forward a few hours to me at the gym.

I had literally just sat down on my bench with some dumbbells. As I looked at the mirror to check my form I see a woman laying on the bench behind me on a smith machine with the bar laying across her chest. Now mind you it was only the bar, no weights. That equals 20 lbs. That Facebook post was the first thing to enter my head. I kind of looked at her and she made eye contact with me. Then I looked again and decided that she must be resting because after all we're taking 20 lbs here. Then just as I'm finishing my set I hear her ask a guy walking by for help and said she was stuck. 🤣 I kinda felt like an ass because I didn't help her but I'm gonna blame Facebook.

Kind of a funny situation at the gym today. It all started with a post by one of my friends on Facebook. She posted about how she was picking up a food order and the employee told her that it was pretty heavy and asked if she was sure that she could lift it. She went on to say how that really bugs her when people just assume that she isn't strong enough. Anyway, fast forward a few hours to me at the gym.

I had literally just sat down on my bench with some dumbbells. As I looked at the mirror to check my form I see a woman laying on the bench behind me on a smith machine with the bar laying across her chest. Now mind you it was only the bar, no weights. That equals 20 lbs. That Facebook post was the first thing to enter my head. I kind of looked at her and she made eye contact with me. Then I looked again and decided that she must be resting because after all we're taking 20 lbs here. Then just as I'm finishing my set I hear her ask a guy walking by for help and said she was stuck. 🤣 I kinda felt like an ass because I didn't help her but I'm gonna blame Facebook.
Maybe she wanted you to hit on her and make a move… :coffee:

• Haha
Reactions: Alk
Pretty disappointing day yesterday. I've been sticking with my diet and workouts. I had my checkup with my doctor including lab work. I have packed on a pretty considerable amount of weight. I'm attributing some of that to muscle. Since I have been taking protein after workouts, I have noticed a difference in my build but all of my clothes still fit exactly like they did before. The really bad part is that my cholesterol was back up. I had my doubts when my doctor recommended that I stop my cholesterol meds since it was so low but I agreed to go along with it. My following checkup my cholesterol had gone up but not enough for him to worry but this time around it was just too high so I start the cholesterol meds again today. So I guess the moral of the story is diet and exercise can't beat genetics but science sure as hell can. :ROFLMAO:

Pretty disappointing day yesterday. I've been sticking with my diet and workouts. I had my checkup with my doctor including lab work. I have packed on a pretty considerable amount of weight. I'm attributing some of that to muscle. Since I have been taking protein after workouts, I have noticed a difference in my build but all of my clothes still fit exactly like they did before. The really bad part is that my cholesterol was back up. I had my doubts when my doctor recommended that I stop my cholesterol meds since it was so low but I agreed to go along with it. My following checkup my cholesterol had gone up but not enough for him to worry but this time around it was just too high so I start the cholesterol meds again today. So I guess the moral of the story is diet and exercise can't beat genetics but science sure as hell can. :ROFLMAO:
Back on the statins? They are a wonder drug and a life saver.

Back