The Fitness Thread

Just a little update from me on my fitness journey. I stepped on the scale tonight after my four mile run. 199.2 lbs!!! This is the first time in for as long as I can remember that I have cracked the 200 lb barrier. It has to have been at least 20 years. So far this summer I have been taken off of all of my pills and dropped below 200 lbs. If I can get my golf score below 100 this will be the miracle summer. 🤞

Last edited:
Just a little update from me on my fitness journey. I stepped on the scale tonight after my four mile run. 199.2 lbs!!! This is the first time in for as long as I can remember that I have cracked the 200 lb barrier. It has to have been at least 20 years. So far this summer I have been take off of all of my pills and dropped below 200 lbs. If I can get my golf s ore below 100 this will be the miracle summer. 🤞
Sincere congrats!!!!!

Just a little update from me on my fitness journey. I stepped on the scale tonight after my four mile run. 199.2 lbs!!! This is the first time in for as long as I can remember that I have cracked the 200 lb barrier. It has to have been at least 20 years. So far this summer I have been taken off of all of my pills and dropped below 200 lbs. If I can get my golf score below 100 this will be the miracle summer. 🤞
That's awesome, Alk. You're an inspiration to me!

Reactions: Alk
I lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks but my body hit the brakes and haven’t lost or gain the past 3 days…

Reactions: Alk
5 more lbs until i get to my goal. this last 5 is like an annoying relative.it's been haging around too long and i can't get it to leave! 😄
It will happen. I was hovering just over 200 for a solid three weeks before I finally got it.

You guys rock! You really do.

Medication made me gain where I became the heaviest I ever been. Weight from meds is rather hard to lose

I finally lost 15 pounds which helps and it took a while to get to this point, but working to lose more.

Medication made me gain where I became the heaviest I ever been. Weight from meds is rather hard to lose
Especially meds that mess with hormones. Even worse when 'unintended consequences/side effects' come into play.

I started the keto diet and did extremely well, however after doing a lot more research there’s a drawback it’s called your metabolism slowing down and that’s not good either so what I’ve decided is to try to keep my carbs under 100 a day. This way you don’t slow down your metabolism but at the same time you’re Messing with your blood sugar too much. When you’re 55 like me I have to be extremely careful with carbs.

The good news is I took a dump this morning and I lost a pound right afterwards. I always recommend take a dump first before you weigh yourself.

Pig,

I'd be curious to read that about BMR slowing from keto as I don't believe it is correct. In fact, based on my research the only thing to really slow metabolism is eating too often (distinguished from too much), and calorie restriction. (even though calories in themselves are kind of bullshit).

This is because of insulin. When you eat, your blood sugar rises - a lot with carbs, some with protein, and none with fat. When blood sugar rises, insulin is released.

But here is the kicker - when insulin is high, it acts like a switch. It shuts off fat burning. If you are restricting how much you eat, the only option the body has is to slow metabolism as it can't access your own fat stores.

None of this is gospel though, find what works for you. I first went keto about 10 years ago now with great success. I am still keto, but now even more focused than I was back then.

Pig,

I'd be curious to read that about BMR slowing from keto as I don't believe it is correct. In fact, based on my research the only thing to really slow metabolism is eating too often (distinguished from too much), and calorie restriction. (even though calories in themselves are kind of bullshit).

This is because of insulin. When you eat, your blood sugar rises - a lot with carbs, some with protein, and none with fat. When blood sugar rises, insulin is released.

But here is the kicker - when insulin is high, it acts like a switch. It shuts off fat burning. If you are restricting how much you eat, the only option the body has is to slow metabolism as it can't access your own fat stores.

None of this is gospel though, find what works for you. I first went keto about 10 years ago now with great success. I am still keto, but now even more focused than I was back then.
Thank you for your input. I’ll continue to research more. It’s something I came across on the Internet. Like I said it could be bullshit. I was shedding pounds like crazy and then I hit a wall. I haven’t gained any weight by increasing my carbs, but maybe that’s because I’m at a equilibrium right now and I need to cut back on carbs some more. I also found out when we get into the fat burning stage during a keto diet you should stay below 50 carbs, however that depends on how active you are. I am considered moderately active. I swing 80 pound gas canisters around all day. So I’m reasonably fit for a fat fuck lol 😂.

Thank you for your input. I’ll continue to research more. It’s something I came across on the Internet. Like I said it could be bullshit. I was shedding pounds like crazy and then I hit a wall. I haven’t gained any weight by increasing my carbs, but maybe that’s because I’m at a equilibrium right now and I need to cut back on carbs some more. I also found out when we get into the fat burning stage during a keto diet you should stay below 50 carbs, however that depends on how active you are. I am considered moderately active. I swing 80 pound gas canisters around all day. So I’m reasonably fit for a fat fuck lol 😂.
Yeah it can be hard to wade through all the contradicting information and 'bro science' that is prevelent with fat loss and fitness. It's why I always keep open minded and take in as much information as I can hold, but never not willing to change my mind.

I've certainly made plenty of errors along the way.

The most important thing is for everyone to find what works for them and makes them happy. You are your own n=1 experiment. 😊

Yeah it can be hard to wade through all the contradicting information and 'bro science' that is prevelent with fat loss and fitness. It's why I always keep open minded and take in as much information as I can hold, but never not willing to change my mind.
The internet has been a blessing and a curse. More info is available but so is more b.s.

I've found a few people I trust. Jason Fung at the top. Sen Ekberg. Mindy Pelz. Thomas De Lauer sort of sometimes. These are people into teaching and explaining how your body works. Mostly. Pretty much all say to eat real food, restrict how often you did, limit carbs. None tell me I can lose 15 pounds in a week by taking just one teaspoon of [whatever] every night,

Roughly 3500 calories in or out equals 1 pound. The math is simple. Are there ways to temporarily cause your body to move in one direction or another weight wise? Yes. But at the end of the day, how much you take in minus how much you expend (just to live plus exercise) determines weight gain or loss.

Over the last 3 1/2 years I have figured out I need a net intake of about1800 cal to maintain my weight. My exercise routine requires about 850 to 1200 cal. per day so 2500 to 3000 cal consumed equals steady weight for me. i’d like to lose what’s left of my love handles so I am keeping it around 2000 to 2250 right now.

I have to keep things really simple and easily repeatable.

This is outside of what prescription medicine can do, of course.

For those of you that are almost there and need just a little boost. The thing that seemed to really help me was weighing my food. I had finally made the decision to start meal prepping for Monday thru Thursday lunches. Friday is my cheat day to go out to eat with my wife. I originally figured I would just have a chicken breast for lunch with a vegetable. After at least a month I saw absolutely no change in my weight. Then I decided to just google what a serving size of chicken should be. 4 ounces!! I was shocked. So I started weighing things out and couldn't believe that two good sized chicken breasts were enough for four lunches. So to this day on Sunday afternoon I grill up some chicken. Sometimes I treat myself with steak (3 ounces). So my breakfast every day is two eggs, scrambled, a small bowl of cheerios and one slice of toast with peanut butter and honey. Then lunch is either chicken or steak with broccoli and a cup of fruit yogurt. At first I would get hungry by the end of the day so I would bring an apple, banana or almonds but lately I really haven't been getting hungry until dinner time. I'm really not very careful about what I eat at dinner. If it sounds good I will make it. I'm not trying to torture the rest of my family with my eating habits. :ROFLMAO: I'm just careful about how much I eat for dinner.

What are everyone's fitness routines? How do you like to exercise? How do you track progress if you track?

Something I find very useful:: Apple Watch has a feature that tracks your VO2Max while walking and running OUTSIDE. I don't know how precise it is, but as a tool for tracking relative improvement it is fantastic. I find it motivating especially if social events (vacations etc) cause me to skip my normal routines and the watch highlights the corresponding decline in fitness. I am motivated to regaining my prior level and then higher. It basically measures your body's ability to process oxygen so your heart, lungs and muscle. It takes into account your age and body characteristics like height and weight as well. If you are competitive ( I am) then it can be fun to share this data with friends of like minds.

Apple has a really nice write up of it here: https://www.apple.com/healthcare/do...h_to_Estimate_Cardio_Fitness_with_VO2_max.pdf

From the paper:
"Definition
VO2 max is the maximum volume of oxygen an individual can extract from inhaled air and consume 
 through cellular metabolism. As such, VO2 max is a good overall indicator of cardiorespiratory fitness 
 (CRF) because it incorporates multiple organ systems and is influenced by a number of factors at various points along the pathway, from respiration to end-organ oxygen consumption.1 VO2 max values are 
 typically normalized for body mass and reported as milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body mass in one minute (ml/kg/min). They normally decline with increasing age and, at a population level, differ across biological sexes.2"

Don't let the paper make you think using this feature or tracking it is hard. It is VERY easy as the watch will do it for you without you even asking. It will then show your score and track progress for you in the Health App on your iPhone. Simply record your walk/run on your watch and that is all you have to do.

Last edited:
What are everyone's fitness routines? How do you like to exercise? How do you track progress if you track?

Something I find very useful:: Apple Watch has a feature that tracks your VO2Max while walking and running OUTSIDE. I don't know how precise it is, but as a tool for tracking relative improvement it is fantastic. I find it motivating especially if social events (vacations etc) cause me to skip my normal routines and the watch highlights the corresponding decline in fitness. I am motivated to regaining my prior level and then higher. It basically measures your body's ability to process oxygen so your heart, lungs and muscle. It takes into account your age and body characteristics like height and weight as well. If you are competitive ( I am) then it can be fun to share this data with friends of like minds.

Apple has a really nice write up of it here: https://www.apple.com/healthcare/do...h_to_Estimate_Cardio_Fitness_with_VO2_max.pdf

From the paper:
"Definition
VO2 max is the maximum volume of oxygen an individual can extract from inhaled air and consume 
 through cellular metabolism. As such, VO2 max is a good overall indicator of cardiorespiratory fitness 
 (CRF) because it incorporates multiple organ systems and is influenced by a number of factors at various points along the pathway, from respiration to end-organ oxygen consumption.1 VO2 max values are 
 typically normalized for body mass and reported as milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body mass in one minute (ml/kg/min). They normally decline with increasing age and, at a population level, differ across biological sexes.2"

Don't let the paper make you think using this feature or tracking it is hard. It is VERY easy as the watch will do it for you without you even asking. It then show your score and tracks progress for you in the Health App on your iPhone. Simply record your walk/run on your watch and that is all you have to do.
My fitness watch is an Android/ Apple hybrid. We are Android users in this house. It does VO2 and I try to pay attention to that. I mostly use my recumbent bike and keep track of my calories- lately I been burning off 600- 700 per session. I'm addicted to that number now where before I was aiming for 500. I been drinking more water than anything else. I always take the stairs and increases my veggies and fruit.

However I been dropping weight fast which makes my mind go with is there something wrong for me drop that quickly. I am not sure.

But what I wrote above has made me lose 15 lbs.

Back