The Golf thread

EDIT/WARNING: <long winded as all get out...>

Crazy. Timing is everything...

We have the Rocket Mortgage Classic going on in Detroit this week... It is a nice event at a great club. They have two 18's and the PGA picks 18 holes from both courses to create the 18 for this event. I have played both courses (pre-covid) at their Member-Guest a couple of times.

That said, and as I said above, timing is everything. Shortly after work I texted my buddy and said "let's get GA tickets for Sat or Sun the weather will be great and the beer will be expensive but cold and flowing." While awaiting his response I began to look online for tickets. Frustratingly, the link from the PGA website to the ticket vendor website (AXS) was down. I kept refreshing as I knew there were few tickets left for the weekend. No dice. 15 minutes of trying and I gave up.

Just then the FRONT doorbell rang (very unusual).

My retired special-ed teacher wife has a growing business tutoring regular-ed students that are struggling. A new client was here 15 minutes early. I welcomed them in and began to try to locate my wife leaving them in the den where I had been watching the tournament (and not getting tickets). When I came back to take them over to Lynn's "classroom" the mom asked me if I was watching the golf tournament (it was paused on the wall so, yeah). I mentioned I was trying to get tickets but was striking out with the website. She said good luck and followed Lynn and her 4th grader to the lesson.

Meanwhile, my buddy texted me back and said he wanted to go but could only go Sunday. I asked him to try to get tickets because I couldn't. He said he would when he got home.

An hour later the 3 of them appeared down the hall so I got up to say goodbye. The mom asked me what day I wanted to go because she had two tickets for Sunday if I wanted them. (IF?) I said sure and offered to pay for them. She refused telling me she is the Executive Asst. for the COO at Rocket. HAHA! 20 minutes after she left they showed up in my email complete with directions on how to pick up the wristbands for the Rocket Hospitality Chalet. LOL.

Had the website worked for me I would have purchased them and said nothing.

So, on Sunday I will be slathered in SPF 50 on the outside and barley/hops on the inside.

Crazy. Timing is everything.

Last edited:
EDIT/WARNING: <long winded as all get out...>

Crazy. Timing is everything...

We have the Rocket Mortgage Classic going on in Detroit this week... It is a nice event at a great club. They have two 18's and the PGA picks 18 holes from both courses to create the 18 for this event. I have played both courses (pre-covid) at their Member-Guest a couple of times.

That said, and as I said above, timing is everything. Shortly after work I texted my buddy and said "let's get GA tickets for Sat or Sun the weather will be great and the beer will be expensive but cold and flowing." While awaiting his response I began to look online for tickets. Frustratingly, the link from the PGA website to the ticket vendor website (AXS) was down. I kept refreshing as I knew there were few tickets left for the weekend. No dice. 15 minutes of trying and I gave up.

Just then the FRONT doorbell rang (very unusual).

My retired special-ed teacher wife has a growing business tutoring regular-ed students that are struggling. A new client was here 15 minutes early. I welcomed them in and began to try to locate my wife leaving them in the den where I had been watching the tournament (and not getting tickets). When I came back to take them over to Lynn's "classroom" the mom asked me if I was watching the golf tournament (it was paused on the wall so, yeah). I mentioned I was trying to get tickets but was striking out with the website. She said good luck and followed Lynn and her 4th grader to the lesson.

Meanwhile, my buddy texted me back and said he wanted to go but could only go Sunday. I asked him to try to get tickets because I couldn't. He said he would when he got home.

An hour later the 3 of them appeared down the hall so I got up to say goodbye. The mom asked me what day I wanted to go because she had two tickets for Sunday if I wanted them. (IF?) I said sure and offered to pay for them. She refused telling me she is the Executive Asst. for the COO at Rocket. HAHA! 20 minutes after she left they showed up in my email complete with directions on how to pick up the wristbands for the Rocket Hospitality Chalet. LOL.

Had the website worked for me I would have purchased them and said nothing.

So, on Sunday I will be slathered in SPF 50 on the outside and barley/hops on the inside.

Crazy. Timing is everything.
Ah! Those moments when you know (foshizzle) that life is a beautiful thing.

Cheers, :toast:

Some of these guys are playing to make the top 125 for a slot in the FedEx playoffs. Hard to believe that guys like Ricky Fowler and Jason Day are on the bubble.

Some of these guys are playing to make the top 125 for a slot in the FedEx playoffs. Hard to believe that guys like Ricky Fowler and Jason Day are on the bubble.
Neither plays anywhere close to a full schedule. Fowler plays more, but has played poorly missing an uncharacteristic number of cuts.

Wasn't Fowler supposed to be "the next big thing" way back?
Yup. I don't think he made the cut today either. He is 125 in FedEx points so he will play every event now to make sure he sticks if he can.

File this post under "how the guy you are playing golf with affects you".

Monday I have nine-hole league play late afternoon and am playing 18 prior to that at a different course. I'm playing the 18 with a relative of my wife who is a very nice person, claims he loves the game and is a talented player who hits the ball a ton, but he is a hothouse flower who completely loses his shit if he hits one or two bad shots. I mean, he falls apart. The extent to which he does this, and the consistency it happens, is way out there. I don't really like playing with the dude, because it's hard to relax and focused when you're waiting for the explosion. The weird part is, after this happens, he tells me he had a really good time and can't wait to play again, but I'm thinking about dipping into the "polite excuses" file the next time.

As hard as playing the actual game is there is some challenge in finding playing partners who, for instance, don't need a psychiatrist, are able to find their own golf ball, don't talk on your backswing and seem generally aware of what's going on around them. I don't even care what anybody shoots as long as they don't publically freak out or waste a ton of time dicking around.

I used to blow my stack but I got over it years ago. Maybe I thought people would be impressed with how much I cared or something, but I found out instead that I "wasn't fun to play with", so I dropped the pissed-off act and I am able to stay consistently in the middle between feeling giddy and depressed. It's like I've got one all-purpose golf course mood. Triple bogey? I forget about it and move on. Blowing a 3 foot putt for birdie? Same deal and proceed. Pissed-off partner throws a club that bangs off the roof support of the cart right next to your head? Be understanding and calm?

Not a chance. THEN, it's perfectly okay to tell him he's a fucking dangerous moron, a golf course isn't a hockey rink and then you take your clubs off the cart in a seething fury to carry them and walk the rest of the way because it's safer that way. In other words, you let him know like people once let you know. Hope you embarrass him straight. (True story but it only semi-worked).

How would you categorize yourself?

Monday I have nine-hole league play late afternoon and am playing 18 prior to that at a different course. I'm playing the 18 with a relative of my wife who is a very nice person, claims he loves the game and is a talented player who hits the ball a ton, but he is a hothouse flower who completely loses his shit if he hits one or two bad shots. I mean, he falls apart. The extent to which he does this, and the consistency it happens, is way out there. I don't really like playing with the dude, because it's hard to relax and focused when you're waiting for the explosion. The weird part is, after this happens, he tells me he had a really good time and can't wait to play again, but I'm thinking about dipping into the "polite excuses" file the next time.

As hard as playing the actual game is there is some challenge in finding playing partners who, for instance, don't need a psychiatrist, are able to find their own golf ball, don't talk on your backswing and seem generally aware of what's going on around them. I don't even care what anybody shoots as long as they don't publically freak out or waste a ton of time dicking around.

I used to blow my stack but I got over it years ago. Maybe I thought people would be impressed with how much I cared or something, but I found out instead that I "wasn't fun to play with", so I dropped the pissed-off act and I am able to stay consistently in the middle between feeling giddy and depressed. It's like I've got one all-purpose golf course mood. Triple bogey? I forget about it and move on. Blowing a 3 foot putt for birdie? Same deal and proceed. Pissed-off partner throws a club that bangs off the roof support of the cart right next to your head? Be understanding and calm?

Not a chance. THEN, it's perfectly okay to tell him he's a fucking dangerous moron, a golf course isn't a hockey rink and then you take your clubs off the cart in a seething fury to carry them and walk the rest of the way because it's safer that way. In other words, you let him know like people once let you know. Hope you embarrass him straight. (True story but it only semi-worked).

32 years ago at a golf course in Pittsfield I once accidentally hit another man’s ball and he lost his shit. He came at me hard and fast and got in my face. I told him to back off and it was an accident. In the meantime I could smell the alcohol and probably a hotdog with onion on his breath. After telling the dickhead to back off it seem to enrage him more. And he bumped his visor on my forehead and just then he found out I was the Incredible Hulk and I body slammed his ass off the turf. While he is on the ground I dropped a golf ball on his chest and said here you can have mine instead and walked away. I put away the clubs for 22 years after that…

Then I befriended a neighbor that was from Rhode Island. He was an obnoxious blowhard on the golf course, but he was freaking awesome golfer. His pace was much faster than mine. He was a low 70s golfer and I was a low 90s golfer. I felt rushed and after a while I didn’t feel like playing with him anymore. I haven’t golfed since. I think it’s important to play with people that’s got a similar skill set when it comes to golfing. You can get away with it on the bowling alley but on a golf course when you’re surrounded with golfers 20 shots better than you it’s very intimidating.

I’m out there to have fun, the day I throw a club, is the day I quit. Both my FIL and hubby get mad because I don’t take golf as serious as I “should”....lol. For example I play in a 9 hole women’s league we have a blast we play at night so a few of us may have had a drink or 2 before we even tee off. Im there to have fun and hang out, and teach the next generation of women how to play, understand the rules, golf “etiquette”. All those silly things lol, but dam do we have fun.

~Dee~

32 years ago at a golf course in Pittsfield I once accidentally hit another man’s ball and he lost his shit. He came at me hard and fast and got in my face. I told him to back off and it was an accident. In the meantime I could smell the alcohol and probably a hotdog with onion on his breath. After telling the dickhead to back off it seem to enrage him more. And he bumped his visor on my forehead and just then he found out I was the Incredible Hulk and I body slammed his ass off the turf. While he is on the ground I dropped a golf ball on his chest and said here you can have mine instead and walked away. I put away the clubs for 22 years after that…

Then I befriended a neighbor that was from Rhode Island. He was an obnoxious blowhard on the golf course, but he was freaking awesome golfer. His pace was much faster than mine. He was a low 70s golfer and I was a low 90s golfer. I felt rushed and after a while I didn’t feel like playing with him anymore. I haven’t golfed since. I think it’s important to play with people that’s got a similar skill set when it comes to golfing. You can get away with it on the bowling alley but on a golf course when you’re surrounded with golfers 20 shots better than you it’s very intimidating.
If you let it but totally understand. You should see the look I get after my surgeries... I tell my physical therapist all I want to do is be able to ski and golf still 😂.

~Dee~

If you let it but totally understand. You should see the look I get after my surgeries... I tell my physical therapist all I want to do is be able to ski and golf still 😂.

~Dee~
If I roll over in bed the wrong way I’ll be in traction. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If I roll over in bed the wrong way I’ll be in traction. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
If I can’t laugh at myself then I’d have to give up. I don’t need traction I’ve got screws and rods holding me together.

~Dee~

I think you just need to find the right people no matter how good or bad they are. One of my friends that I golf with is the best golfer that I know. He and his twin brother played golf in college. His brother went on to be a golf pro. When we go out to play he's our biggest cheerleader. We will hit 10 awful shots but when we make one good one he makes us feel like a million bucks. Then there's another guy that I know that is about on our same level but is the biggest blowhard and cheater that I know. I avoid going out to play with him at all costs but every once in awhile I will run into him on the course and he will join us. He will literally suck all of the fun out of the round.

I think you just need to find the right people no matter how good or bad they are. One of my friends that I golf with is the best golfer that I know. He and his twin brother played golf in college. His brother went on to be a golf pro. When we go out to play he's our biggest cheerleader. We will hit 10 awful shots but when we make one good one he makes us feel like a million bucks. Then there's another guy that I know that is about on our same level but is the biggest blowhard and cheater that I know. I avoid going out to play with him at all costs but every once in awhile I will run into him on the course and he will join us. He will literally suck all of the fun out of the round.
The best. You have one. Keep his hand full of beer or whatever.

Be ready. The only RULE I have taught my kids (and my wife if I may be chauvinistic for a second) is to be ready when it is your turn to play. Don't care if you topped it 3 feet or blew it straight down the gullet on a par 5. Be ready.

This is the number one rule golf. This rule will allow the 3 to play with the 32 happily. The hot head to play with the cool cat. The one time a season to play with the 3x a week.

If you are busy getting ready to play your next shot you can't be bitching and moaning (and throwing).

Well, I guess you can, but only once with me.

Be ready. The only RULE I have taught my kids (and my wife if I may be chauvinistic for a second) is to be ready when it is your turn to play. Don't care if you topped it 3 feet or blew it straight down the gullet on a par 5. Be ready.

This is the number one rule golf. This rule will allow the 3 to play with the 32 happily. The hot head to play with the cool cat. The one time a season to play with the 3x a week.

If you are busy getting ready to play your next shot you can't be bitching and moaning (and throwing).

Well, I guess you can, but only once with me.
We tend to play ready golf ....

~Dee~

Back