The Golf thread

I think the context of the club as a weapon was in the close proximity of a wild animal.
You may be right so I did update my post..... But hubby breaks clubs all the time he may need mental health when it comes to golf but not from me...lol

~Dee~

You may be right so I did update my post..... But hubby breaks clubs all the time he may need mental health when it comes to golf but not from me...lol

~Dee~

I can't remember ever having broken a club on purpose. I broke the head off of my 60° wedge, and a bone in my hand, on a root that was just under the surface a few years ago.

Hockey sticks? Yes, shamefully I have broken many, but fewer as they got ridiculously expensive (and ironically, easier to break).

I can't remember ever having broken a club on purpose. I broke the head off of my 60° wedge, and a bone in my hand, on a root that was just under the surface a few years ago.

Hockey sticks? Yes, shamefully I have broken many, but fewer as they got ridiculously expensive (and ironically, easier to break).

Yeah hes played golf all his life and sadly he breaks clubs a lot, but, he also plays a lot... like at least 5 times a week, and has been since we met.... hence my giving up softball for golf lol.

Everyone has a vice....

~Dee~

Yeah hes played golf all his life and sadly he breaks clubs a lot, but, he also plays a lot... like at least 5 times a week, and has been since we met.... hence my giving up softball for golf lol.

Everyone has a vice....

~Dee~

FIVE times a week? Awesome for him. When the kids were young that was season for me. :ROFLMAO:

FIVE times a week? Awesome for him. When the kids were young that was season for me. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah that’s a season for me since the grandkids and Covid... He put his time in and God bless him lol. Let’s see Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday... sometimes twice on either Saturday or Sunday as well lol.:ROFLMAO:

~Dee~

Last edited:
Yeah that’s a season for me since the grandkids and Covid... He put his time in and God bless him lol. Let’s see Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday... sometimes twice one either Saturday or Sunday as well lol.:ROFLMAO:

~Dee~
God bless him. He did many, many other things in order to be able to do that, no doubt.

I will play more this year than any of the last 10 years and many rounds will be with Ethan, our middle kiddo. He has the golf bug and bad. He brings humility to my game as we are often 2 clubs apart. Me shorter.

There is one in my bag. I learned a hard lesson in one of the first member/member's I played in when I found myself in a disagreement over whether a practice swing that accidentally removed a leaf from a tree is considered "improving stance".
I'll revise my statement. No one who I've played with has ever admitted to carrying a USGA rule book or pulled one out. Can you imagine how pissed the group behind will be if play is stopped while thumbing through a rule book? :ROFLMAO:

I'll revise my statement. No one who I've played with has ever admitted to carrying a USGA rule book or pulled one out. Can you imagine how pissed the group behind will be if play is stopped while thumbing through a rule book? :ROFLMAO:
And they shouldn't have to. EVER!

The idiot that called my playing partner out on that is a...well....idiot. When you are a member of the USGA they send you a rule book each year. I (loudly) told him I would have the book in my bag at the 19th hole and each year I replace the previous year with the new one.

Yeah that’s a season for me since the grandkids and Covid... He put his time in and God bless him lol. Let’s see Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday... sometimes twice on either Saturday or Sunday as well lol.:ROFLMAO:

~Dee~
I played 36 a couple or three times (reminder, I've already confessed I am useless at golf) but it wore me out, even back in the day when 3 hours was a normal round.

I played 36 a couple or three times (reminder, I've already confessed I am useless at golf) but it wore me out, even back in the day when 3 hours was a normal round.

I always thought golf got a bad rep as being a "game" and not a "sport" from snooty bitches who don't know what they are talking about.

If you walk 18 holes then you have walked somewhere between 5 and 7 miles depending on the layout of the course. If you carry your bag
it's similar to backpacking in terms of weight and caloric expenditure, meaning very high. Adding in the typical elements of elevation change and
summer heat and even young, athletic people are going to be dragging their asses at some point.

Even if you take a cart there is or can still be some significant distance to be covered on foot. Swing a club a couple of hundred times including practice swings is not nothing. I could also
mention that the concentration required and literally hundreds of decisions golf demands of it's practitioners takes a toll. It's both mentally and physically demanding.

I've done all kinds of sports and golf feels like a sport to me, however, this is a good time to quote a line from my brother:

Q: When you get over 40, the only sports guys typically play are: bowling, fishing in a boat and golf in a cart. What do
these activities all have in common?

A: They all have beverage holders.

:rimshot:

I always thought golf got a bad rep as being a "game" and not a "sport" from snooty bitches who don't know what they are talking about.

If you walk 18 holes then you have walked somewhere between 5 and 7 miles depending on the layout of the course. If you carry your bag
it's similar to backpacking in terms of weight and caloric expenditure, meaning very high. Adding in the typical elements of elevation change and
summer heat and even young, athletic people are going to be dragging their asses at some point.

Even if you take a cart there is or can still be some significant distance to be covered on foot. Swing a club a couple of hundred times including practice swings is not nothing. I could also
mention that the concentration required and literally hundreds of decisions golf demands of it's practitioners takes a toll. It's both mentally and physically demanding.

I've done all kinds of sports and golf feels like a sport to me, however, this is a good time to quote a line from my brother:

Q: When you get over 40, the only sports guys typically play are: bowling, fishing in a boat and golf in a cart. What do

I love to golf. Cup holders are required. I hate to fish, but I will sit in the boat and watch someone else fish. And use the cup holder. :ROFLMAO:

Over the years I've found that in almost every round of golf there is something that happens that I've never seen before.

Recently, I was playing a 2 on 2 match and one of the guys on the other team tried to shake me up by trying to make me watch video clips on his phone of his ex-wife giving him
a blowjob. I actually performed the wedding ceremony for them, too, and the whole thing was just wrong. I wasn't trying to see that stuff and I thought it was a sleazy trick.

Last year, I played a round with my brother Jim and he hit a laser straight into the woods on the left side of the fairway which hit a tree and caromed into the woods
on the right side. Lost ball. Never saw that.

Playing up in Alaska I had to hold my shot to the green because a Bald Eagle had camped out on the green. It wouldn't move, so I said "fuck it, I'll never hit the thing." and took
my shot. I think it's a federal crime to shoot at an Eagle even thought they are so common in Alaska they are like pigeons in an MBTA station.

What do you got?

What improbable shit have you seen on the course?
Which course did you play? I haven't golfed up since I moved up here but I have friends that play all the time in the summer, many times they've had to stop because of bears or moose.

Another story from my golf days. It was a typical Sunday at the golf course with my buddies, they all hit their shots off the first tee and I'm up. I line up my shot, take a couple of practice swings and all my buddies are watching me so I decided I was going hammer this thing onto the green (short par 4) from the tee box. As I was making my swing I took my eye off the ball for just a milli second but that was all it took. My ball gets about 10-15 feet off the ground and hook hard to the right and goes into the front door of the rental shack, it was probably one of the luckiest shots i've ever made and there were a lot of trees and obstacles between myself and the shack. I went in to retrieve my ball and thankfully nobody was hit with it. We all got a good chuckle out of it so no harm no foul.

Last edited:

Having played all kinds of sports, I found golf the toughest to pick up and play consistently Played the big 4 sports while growing up and was decent at all of them. In my late 20's though early 40s, I played tournament tennis and racquetball.
The mechanics of a golf swing has to be precise. Some little thing, that you may not be aware of, can throw your game off. I've found that it's easier to hit a moving ball. When I first started playing, I was a little shocked that it was so tough to hit that little stationary ball.

I am curious about how you feel about the events surrounding the Saudis launching a competitive (maybe) league to the PGA Tour.

For? Against? Don't care?

I'd like to see it fail. Buying their way into something like this rubs me the wrong way. Not sure they even would have gotten this far if Lefty didn't blow his fortune in Vegas.

After a fashion, I was an "A" caddy (ranking c-b-A), Almost always caddied Double (two of those bags ) and often two full rounds a day. Unless hired as a single by a member who wanted my full attention. :rofl: For some reason Playing 36 seemingly wore me out more. Have actually done 3 full rounds in a day caddying a few times,

Which course did you play? I haven't golfed up since I moved up here but I have friends that play all the time in the summer, many times they've had to stop because of bears or moose.

Another story from my golf days. It was a typical Sunday at the golf course with my buddies, they all hit their shots off the first tee and I'm up. I line up my shot, take a couple of practice swings and all my buddies are watching me so I decided I was going hammer this thing onto the green (short par 4) from the tee box. As I was making my swing I took my eye off the ball for just a milli second but that was all it took. My ball gets about 10-15 feet off the ground and hook hard to the right and goes into the front door of the rental shack, it was probably one of the luckiest shots i've ever made and there were a lot of trees and obstacles between myself and the shack. I went in to retrieve my ball and thankfully nobody was hit with it. We all got a good chuckle out of it so no harm no foul.

I played a couple of rounds at the Mendenhall Golf Course in Juneau as one of my Brothers lives just a few miles from there. In fact, when he needs ice for his cooler he drives there and grabs some chunks of deep blue ice that have floated to shore and that stuff lasts about a week it is so dense. The course was a rustic little place -- a 9 hole executive course (no par 5s). The owner was a cool old character who was a devout Christian and decorated the little starter's shack with wall-to-wall signs about Jesus and so forth, which was not something I've ever seen.

I've told the story here that as I was heading to our car after the round, I walked by a guy wearing a Seahawks hat (not unusual in Alaska) and since I was wearing a Pats hat and this was the year after Malcolm Butler we noticed the hats with little smirks and that led to a conversation. Turns out he was from Seattle and had watched the Bowl with his young Daughter. I think she was 9 or something. When the Butler interception occurred the kid looks at him with confusion and asks him "what happened, Dad? We won, right?" and Dad has to tell her "No, sweetie, I'm sorry we didn't win the game" and the kid just lost it and dissolved into helpless tears of grief.

So, I did the mature thing. I was so happy that I wasn't in his shoes I couldn't help but laugh hysterically at the situation. I just couldn't help it. He was a cool guy and took it the right way. I apologized, but I'm sure neither of them will ever forget the pain of that moment. Our unbelievable victory had a flip side, which I hadn't thought much about. I still have my "Golf Alaska" hat that I bought that day and most people think it's a joke. Nope. It wasn't Pebble Beach, but it was very beautiful in it's own way and I think of it as a really excellent golf experience.

I am curious about how you feel about the events surrounding the Saudis launching a competitive (maybe) league to the PGA Tour.

For? Against? Don't care?

I'd like to see it fail. Buying their way into something like this rubs me the wrong way. Not sure they even would have gotten this far if Lefty didn't blow his fortune in Vegas.

I realize that "the" Saudis funded Bin Laden, but which ones? Am I supposed to lump them all together and declare them all terrorists? Are PGA tour players
supposed to turn down massive amounts of cash to play based on some specious moral high ground? I guess this means that I'm responsible for slavery and dropping
atomic bombs on Japan and nobody from another country should have anything to do with me.

I have mixed feelings about the LIV tour, but I'm intrigued by the team concept. I'm also somewhat amused by the PGA Tour clutching their pearls in righteous indignation.

The whole thing is Lawyers, Guns and Money now and the shit has hit the fan, but I don't know of a single legitimate connection between the Saudi golf folks and Bin Laden
and I wonder if the PGA weasels are trying to push that ludicrous notion in order to hold onto their Goose that lays the golden eggs.

If it means more variety for televised events and some interesting innovation then I'd be curious, but so far, aside from the huge prizes, the LIV tour looks like a rudderless
ship. Their introductory press conference was a fiasco that featured a troublesome reporter getting kicked out by bouncers.

Seems like fun and I really only care about watching the 3 majors not controlled by the PGA. I feel no loyalty for them.

I’ve played the northernmost golf course in Fairbanks, it wasn’t much of a course back then but they gave you a certificate to prove you played there. That was in the early to mid 90’s.

We do have a lot of Seahawk fans up here and they show most of their games, drives me crazy as they think they were on the same plain as the Pats, they were pretty over the top with their fandom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back