The Golf thread

ParanoidPatriot

Big member
Reaction score
There seems to be a thread about everything else. So why not the golf?
Tiger and Phil seem to be on their way out. But there are quite a few very good players on the PGA tour right now.
The US Open will be held in Brookline MA this year starting in mid June.
Of interest, former Patriot Danny Woodhead has made it to the final qualifying match. If he does well in that match, he will be able to play in the US Open. That would be a tremendous accomplishment for Danny.

Tiger and Phil seem to be on their way out. But there are quite a few very good players on the PGA tour right now.
Of interest, former Patriot Danny Woodhead has made it to the final qualifying match. If he does well in that match, he will be able to play in the US Open. That would be a tremendous accomplishment for Danny.
Fore!

Yes, many new and exciting players. I am partial to Spieth almost solely because of his tremendous, and seemingly never ending, battle back form his game going away. To watch a pro be successful playing with same ghosts in his head that we hackers do is cool.

That said, we need a new ball. Golf courses are becoming ridiculous because they hit it so far. It isn't even "grip and rip it" anymore; it is well past that. Watching these guys hit driver 360 yards or 225 yard 5 or 6 irons with spin to stop is demoralizing sometimes. Yes, they are bigger and stronger these days but the technology with the ball is amazing. Leave the spin and the playability but dial back the yardage and let's see these guys be forced to play 3 shots to reach a par 5 or hit a fairway metal club into a green on a long par 4. Then we will see who really has game.

This Saudi thing? I never like Greg Norman and now I really don't. Phil? He needs a life advisor to follow him around and stop him from shooting off his own foot and to delete Draft Kings from all of his devices.

Best part about golf for me?

My boys and I.

IMG_0213 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

I've been trying to figure out exactly what Danny needs to make it to Brookline and all I figure out is that his chance comes on June 6th, but I don't know where. There is a
chance that I might get tickets to the Open, so I'd love to see him there.

One of the more underrated, hard-working Patriots of recent years.

Does anybody remember the hilarious clip on Youtube of the UK announcer who didn't understand anything about NFL football doing a voiceover of a Pats game? He kept
calling Woodhead "Wee Danny" and I've called him that ever since, but I couldn't find it this morning.

I love the game of golf and played both Sunday and Monday in perfect weather. I plan to be a little more serious about playing better this season and have a new set of custom sticks
on order. My goal is to break 80 this year but the putts are going to have to start dropping better than they are. Tee to green l'm getting there.

As an aside, my brother was contacted by one of his fans who is a member of The Country Club and they've played together there a number of times. Last fall Jerry called me
and asked if I'd be interested in joining them and I immediately said yes. Then, the member had to cancel for some reason and I figured there goes my chance. I plan to stay
ready and hope that phone rings again, but I won't be holding my breath.

I've been trying to figure out exactly what Danny needs to make it to Brookline and all I figure out is that his chance comes on June 6th, but I don't know where. There is a
chance that I might get tickets to the Open, so I'd love to see him there.

One of the more underrated, hard-working Patriots of recent years.

Does anybody remember the hilarious clip on Youtube of the UK announcer who didn't understand anything about NFL football doing a voiceover of a Pats game? He kept
calling Woodhead "Wee Danny" and I've called him that ever since, but I couldn't find it this morning.

I love the game of golf and played both Sunday and Monday in perfect weather. I plan to be a little more serious about playing better this season and have a new set of custom sticks
on order. My goal is to break 80 this year but the putts are going to have to start dropping better than they are. Tee to green l'm getting there.

As an aside, my brother was contacted by one of his fans who is a member of The Country Club and they've played together there a number of times. Last fall Jerry called me
and asked if I'd be interested in joining them and I immediately said yes. Then, the member had to cancel for some reason and I figured there goes my chance. I plan to stay
ready and hope that phone rings again, but I won't be holding my breath.
Well Hawgie if your goal is to break 80, then you must be very good for a non-pro.
I'm in the low 90s and would be thrilled to break 90. I had 3 guys that I used to play with. Two are no longer with us and the other one can't play for medical reasons. I keep that in mind when I get frustrated with my game.
I just wish that I started to play when I was younger. It's one of the only things that you can play for a lifetime.
I have noticed that there seems to be more younger people playing, and more women, although I hate to play behind a group of older woman.
I did check out tickets for the Open. Not many left and the price is pretty hefty.

Yes, many new and exciting players. I am partial to Spieth almost solely because of his tremendous, and seemingly never ending, battle back form his game going away. To watch a pro be successful playing with same ghosts in his head that we hackers do is

Best part about golf for me?

View attachment 10862
Yes indeed, the best part. I really enjoy the 3 or 4 times a year that we get a team together and play in a charity golf outing. We really have a great time and our only goal is to is not to finish last. We know that there will be several teams of scratch golfers who will come in with a score in the low 60s so finishing first is out of the question.

Well Hawgie if your goal is to break 80, then you must be very good for a non-pro.

When asked, my stock answer is the same as the quote under my screen name here. Mediocre with flashes of brilliance and that's pretty much true. I just don't get
as pissed-off as I used to, so a bad hole doesn't wreck my day anymore. I just try to hit the best shot I can on every shot and stay reasonably fluid. My lowest score so
far was an 81 so, I figure a 79 is doable, but everybody hits it sideways sometimes. Shooting mid-90s on a course I've never played isn't an embarrassment.

I'm in the low 90s and would be thrilled to break 90. I had 3 guys that I used to play with. Two are no longer with us and the other one can't play for medical reasons. I keep that in mind when I get frustrated with my game.
I just wish that I started to play when I was younger. It's one of the only things that you can play for a lifetime.
I have noticed that there seems to be more younger people playing, and more women, although I hate to play behind a group of older woman.
I did check out tickets for the Open. Not many left and the price is pretty hefty.

Sunday there were about a half a dozen really good-looking, athletic women out there playing and that's unusual. One had tight shorts and a butt that was so perfectly round that British Scientists could use it to calibrate their instruments. And, yes, I was distracted by her and, yes, she caught me looking. Twice, but I couldn't help myself.

Fine with me if more females take up the game, but it's all relative to anybody playing to keep things moving along. Plenty of guys don't belong out there, either, but as long as somebody tries to learn the game I will be very patient. It's a hard game.

But........

Monday we got paired up with a guy I didn't know and he was maybe the worst player and definitely the most ignorant jackass I have ever seen on a golf course. He did literally everything
possible wrong even though he claimed that he'd been playing for years. I attempted to make a few polite suggestions because the people behind us were getting really pissed off, but he wasn't interested in learning the basics, like don't leave your cart 100 yards back while you hit three consecutive 30-yard shots so you have to walk back to it while everybody waits on you, so I completely tuned him out and tried to focus on my own round. Then, he wanted my phone number to play again sometime and I didn't feel like telling him that I never wanted to see him or be stuck in a foursome with him again. So, I feigned polite interest and made up a fake number. It had been a long time since I did that, but while the context was different I still remembered the drill. I now wish I'd told him the truth, but I just didn't see the upside to it at the time. No wonder he has no friends.

It's a rarity to get stuck like that and most people are great, but Jesus what a nightmare that dude was.

wri
Yes indeed, the best part. I really enjoy the 3 or 4 times a year that we get a team together and play in a charity golf outing. We really have a great time and our only goal is to is not to finish last. We know that there will be several teams of scratch golfers who will come in with a score in the low 60s so finishing first is out of the question.

Yes, of course. I hate it when your team plays well, but a team comes in with a -22. Yeah, right!

The picture is my boys and I in FL last winter.

When asked, my stock answer is the same as the quote under my screen name here. Mediocre with flashes of brilliance and that's pretty much true. I just don't get
as pissed-off as I used to, so a bad hole doesn't wreck my day anymore. I just try to hit the best shot I can on every shot and stay reasonably fluid. My lowest score so
far was an 81 so, I figure a 79 is doable, but everybody hits it sideways sometimes. Shooting mid-90s on a course I've never played isn't an embarrassment.

Sunday there were about a half a dozen really good-looking, athletic women out there playing and that's unusual. One had tight shorts and a butt that was so perfectly round that British Scientists could use it to calibrate their instruments. And, yes, I was distracted by her and, yes, she caught me looking. Twice, but I couldn't help myself.

Fine with me if more females take up the game, but it's all relative to anybody playing to keep things moving along. Plenty of guys don't belong out there, either, but as long as somebody tries to learn the game I will be very patient. It's a hard game.

But........

Monday we got paired up with a guy I didn't know and he was maybe the worst player and definitely the most ignorant jackass I have ever seen on a golf course. He did literally everything
possible wrong even though he claimed that he'd been playing for years. I attempted to make a few polite suggestions because the people behind us were getting really pissed off, but he wasn't interested in learning the basics, like don't leave your cart 100 yards back while you hit three consecutive 30-yard shots so you have to walk back to it while everybody waits on you, so I completely tuned him out and tried to focus on my own round. Then, he wanted my phone number to play again sometime and I didn't feel like telling him that I never wanted to see him or be stuck in a foursome with him again. So, I feigned polite interest and made up a fake number. It had been a long time since I did that, but while the context was different I still remembered the drill. I now wish I'd told him the truth, but I just didn't see the upside to it at the time. No wonder he has no friends.

It's a rarity to get stuck like that and most people are great, but Jesus what a nightmare that dude was.
I've met some really nice people on the golf coarse and have really enjoyed being out on the course with the. Sometimes I like playing by myself, not with, it can be peaceful and mind freeing.
Having played all kinds of sports all my life, golf is hardest to play consistently. I always say that you never know if Jeckel or Hyde is going to show up that day.
BTW, Danny is playing a 36 hole qualifier in Ohio on 6/6.I don't know if he has to win or finish in the top 3 to make the Open.

Played one of my best rounds the other day at Shaker Hill. Shot an 81. Just started playing about two years ago, but definitely have the bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Two years and in the 80s ? I think that I hate you.:ROFLMAO:

Two years and in the 80s ? I think that I hate you.:ROFLMAO:

Somehow I’ve been able to transfer my baseball swing (been coaching baseball for 20 years) into a good golf swing. Thank goodness for YouTube and some good videos that helped me with my short game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wri

Yes, of course. I hate it when your team plays well, but a team comes in with a -22. Yeah, right! Th

The picture is my boys and I in FL last winter.
That is a team score playing best ball. So, it's not unusual for a team of very good players to come in with a team score in the 60s.

I have a hate/hate relationship with golf. I played years ago and just really never enjoyed it but my friends always talked me into going out. About two years ago I let a friend borrow my clubs so his brother who was coming to town could go out and play with him. Then they made their way to another friend who borrowed them. Finally about three weeks ago they were returned to me conveniently enough at a friends birthday party at a golf course. I decided I would go hack away since we had free access to the course. First time playing in two years and I got a double bogey on two holes. That's good for me in case you were wondering. I honestly hit the ball better than I ever remember hitting it. So this weekend my friends talked me into playing in a four man scramble with them. We have zero expectations...at least I don't. I'm just going to go out and swing away and drink too many beers. 🤘 🍻

I've met some really nice people on the golf coarse and have really enjoyed being out on the course with the. Sometimes I like playing by myself, not with, it can be peaceful and mind freeing.
Having played all kinds of sports all my life, golf is hardest to play consistently. I always say that you never know if Jeckel or Hyde is going to show up that day.
BTW, Danny is playing a 36 hole qualifier in Ohio on 6/6.I don't know if he has to win or finish in the top 3 to make the Open.
The Golf Gods are extremely fickle. A few weeks ago I show the best round of my life, the three rounds since, you’d think I’ve never hit a ball in my life 🤬🤬

Back