The Golf thread

Golf club acquisitions....

Neat subtopic.

I have only had 3 sets of clubs in my entire adult life. I know folks that buy new clubs every other year searching for magic. The current set is a mixture of newer (to me) irons and driver and a couple of holdovers that are 20+ years old (3 wood, hybrid and putter). 7 or 8 years ago I was invited to play in a pro-am down in Toledo at Inverness. Took the wife's Accord on the 200 mile round trip drive as her car got great gas milage relative to my Wrangler. A week later I showed up at our club for what was then a weekly game the pro ran for a large group of members only to discover my clubs were still in her trunk, but not before the asst. pro spent 15 minutes trying to find them in storage area. Without time to go home and get them I was about to leave when the head pro offered up his bag for me to use that day. Grabbed my old shoes and a glove from my locker and joined the guys on the first tee.

Shot 80 in a time when I was about a 10 or 11. Won almost all of the net $ in the game. Standing in front of the desk in the pro shop waiting to get paid and while laughingly thanking the pro for the use of his clubs I asked him to sell them to me. I was totally joking. He said "sure" because he had just bought a new set. I bought his entire bag minus the Scotty Cameron putter and the bag itself and the best part was my winnings covered most the price he wanted. So that is how ended up with the current bag of Taylor Made R9 tp irons and driver, 2 Ping wedges (54 and 58) and Cleveland 60 degree. My own 20 years olds mentioned above round out the bag.

The plan right now is to keep these as long as I can handle the shafts. At some point I will need to move off stiff and down to firm or regular. That day is coming but not this year or next.

F

The announcers were talking yesterday on the US Open broadcast about how many professional players there are that are left-handed except for golf and that it’s a big advantage for a player to play golf on his “off“ hand.

You see this quite a bit in ice hockey as well.
Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski. Wade Boggs, bats left, throws right

F

The announcers were talking yesterday on the US Open broadcast about how many professional players there are that are left-handed except for golf and that it’s a big advantage for a player to play golf on his “off“ hand.

Actually I bat right handed same principle....l messed with more guys during inter murals then I care to admit.
I taught my daughter how to use a 7 iron left handed when ever she got into trouble when she was younger and was interested. She’s quite athletic gymnastics and cheerleading were her thing ... her daughter is a mini me lol her mom is so confused. So she she plays baseball, soccer, and runs track.... but she gets to play something I always want to play lacrosse....

My eldest granddaughter is left handed as well her mom so she was destined. She’s learning to play and she’s not to bad, I taught her for the last 2 years...
This year she’s going to play jr golf and getting lessons from someone other then me I’m excited to see her thrive.

She gets my old clubs lol.

~Dee~

Watching these professionals play that course at the US Open in Brookline, I'd have to be institutionalize if I played that course.
Me too. Getting their asses handed to them. The Country Club is flexing!

Actually I bat right handed same principle....l messed with more guys during inter murals then I care to admit.
I taught my daughter how to use a 7 iron left handed when ever she got into trouble when she was younger and was interested. She’s quite athletic gymnastics and cheerleading were her thing ... her daughter is a mini me lol her mom is so confused. So she she plays baseball, soccer, and runs track.... but she gets to play something I always want to play lacrosse....

My eldest granddaughter is left handed as well her mom so she was destined. She’s learning to play and she’s not to bad, I taught her for the last 2 years...
This year she’s going to play jr golf and getting lessons from someone other then me I’m excited to see her thrive.

She gets my old clubs lol.

~Dee~
Love it!

Lacrosse is the BEST sport. Our middle kid played from 3rd grade on and thru college. I remember going to games and practices when he was a wee lad so befuddled by the rules. I had to be a riot to laugh at trying to place hockey strategy on a lax field. How dumb.

Girls lax also befuddles me. I wish they would play a game closer to what the boys play.

Love it!

Lacrosse is the BEST sport. Our middle kid played from 3rd grade on and thru college. I remember going to games and practices when he was a wee lad so befuddled by the rules. I had to be a riot to laugh at trying to place hockey strategy on a lax field. How dumb.

Girls lax also befuddles me. I wish they would play a game closer to what the boys play.
I only wish I feel sports should be the same rules and I‘m a firm believer in title 9 cause I never had it..... so don’t want to derail this thread or make it political. I was a big jock back in my day.... I would have loved to play lacrosse.

~Dee~

I only wish I feel sports should be the same rules and I‘m a firm believer in title 9 cause I never had it..... so don’t want to derail this thread or make it political. I was a big jock back in my day.... I would have loved to play lacrosse.

~Dee~

Yup. This.

Yup. This.
My dad treated me the same in sports as my brothers .... he had a hard time with my ambitions and intellect not that he didn’t realize I was intellectually or athletically equal to my brothers.

~Dee~

F

True. The forward arm in golf is by far the dominant one for the full swing. When I first got hooked on golf I bought an instructional VCR tape ("Automatic Golf") and Bob Mann, the instructor, claimed that the lead arm does 90% of the work. A lot of his drills were done with just that arm. I used to wear that thing out and it taught me how to hit a ball solidly for the first time.

I still warm up using just my left arm, but I wish I started out playing Lefty so my right arm was leading. Too late now but if I was teaching a kid, I'd try do it that way.

True. The forward arm in golf is by far the dominant one for the full swing. When I first got hooked on golf I bought an instructional VCR tape ("Automatic Golf") and Bob Mann, the instructor, claimed that the lead arm does 90% of the work. A lot of his drills were done with just that arm. I used to wear that thing out and it taught me how to hit a ball solidly for the first time.

I still warm up using just my left arm, but I wish I started out playing Lefty so my right arm was leading. Too late now but if I was teaching a kid, I'd try do it that way.
I got that tape when I first started playing. It helped me out a lot. My right shoulder has a metal plate, so using my left as the strong arm makes a difference. The other thing that helped was focusing my left eye on a spot on the ball. It helps with proper alignment before shot.

100%. When I put my kids on the ice I made lefty, righty and straight hockey sticks available and let them choose.

I wish I did the same for golf and will with grandkids if blessed to have them.

Should be an interesting final round at the US Open today. Yesterday I got back from playing my round and watched the last 2 hours. It was like a musical chairs leader board. I don't think that I've ever seen so many frustrated professionals.
If today's conditions are like they are here, about 100 miles from Brookline, it's going to be anyone's championship.

Should be an interesting final round at the US Open today. Yesterday I got back from playing my round and watched the last 2 hours. It was like a musical chairs leader board. I don't think that I've ever seen so many frustrated professionals.
If today's conditions are like they are here, about 100 miles from Brookline, it's going to be anyone's championship.

Nothing is more boring than watching a bunch of pros shooting 23 under on some perfect course in ideal conditions where every shot they make looks good.

On the other had, watching them struggle as they were yesterday and ready to lose their minds trying to figure out how to get the biscuit in the basket is entertaining to me. Looking
clueless on how to get the club on a ball buried in knee-deep fescue and trying to hit greens that either spit them back down the hills or let them roll right through and lodge in the cabbage.

The worse the conditions, the better I like it because it kind of simulates what a regular course is like to a scrub like myself. Watching Scottie Scheffler shoot a double bogey on
a 140 yard par 3 made me feel great, and I like the guy. They were all sucking wind late yesterday, but there was a bit of rain here 30 miles south of Brookline and early on it appears
that the greens are softer.

Too bad it's such a shitty looking day. It's been mostly great weather for the last 2 weeks. I'm not pulling for anybody in particular, but I'd love to see a wild finish.

I think it's been a great show, so far, and the Massholes should be cranked up by later on this afternoon. I'm trying to get some shit done, but I'm hooked on this thing.

Nothing is more boring than watching a bunch of pros shooting 23 under on some perfect course in ideal conditions where every shot they make looks good.

On the other had, watching them struggle as they were yesterday and ready to lose their minds trying to figure out how to get the biscuit in the basket is entertaining to me. Looking
clueless on how to get the club on a ball buried in knee-deep fescue and trying to hit greens that either spit them back down the hills or let them roll right through and lodge in the cabbage.

The worse the conditions, the better I like it because it kind of simulates what a regular course is like to a scrub like myself. Watching Scottie Scheffler shoot a double bogey on
a 140 yard par 3 made me feel great, and I like the guy. They were all sucking wind late yesterday, but there was a bit of rain here 30 miles south of Brookline and early on it appears
that the greens are softer.

Too bad it's such a shitty looking day. It's been mostly great weather for the last 2 weeks. I'm not pulling for anybody in particular, but I'd love to see a wild finish.

I think it's been a great show, so far, and the Massholes should be cranked up by later on this afternoon. I'm trying to get some shit done, but I'm hooked on this thing.
It would be great to see Keegan Bradley win. NE native and Patriots fan. I wouldn't bet more than $5 on him though.
He's dropped 2 on the first 2 holes, oh well.

Last edited:
Scheffler is just a machine. FitzPatrick though is still going well. Rory had a bad bogey there on 4.

This is a proper golf course isn’t it. So bloody difficult.

the two youngsters Fitz and Zalatoris putting on a show.

Wow, what a final day and what a finish. Magnificent 2nd shot on 18 from the bunker that basically won Fitz the US Open!

Fantastic golf and Zalatoris was so close with that final put.

Back