The Golf thread

Enjoyed this ferfufle.

Only major I've attended was the 1988 Open at the Country Club. Had tickets for second and fourth round. I was in a massive mob when Curtis Strange came up the 18th to claim the title.

Awesome event for me.

Cheers

I also thought Zalatoros putt was going in and forcing a playoff
when Fitzpatick teed of into the bunker I though he was going to gag it away, but to his credit he came thru

agree that when everyone is under par and the leader is high teens/twentys under par is boring. I'll take this anytime.

on the conversation of lefty/righty I write and throw with my right hand, but bat, hockey and golf lefty. odd but just how it is.
at one point I actually considered restarting golf right-handed in hopes of avoiding my hockey/batting "muscle memory" movements that I suspected were polluting my golf swing.
I feel like I'm swinging a lot better now after a lot of work and it is totally diff from anything else i had done before. just takes time, and it does put my dominant arm in the front.

I went out and played 9 holes this morning to try out my new driver. I didn't hit any practice balls at all. My first swing with it was on the #1 tee box. I absolutely crushed it straight down the fairway. I used it on 6 of the holes and only had two bad hits but all were solid contact. The really strange part was I started hitting all of my other clubs further than I normally do too. I was clubbing down 1-2 clubs. I'm already looking forward to getting back out there next weekend.

My favorite thing about the Tournament was that the course (and setup) didn't allow the big hitters to just bomb their way to a lead. It didn't take the drivers out of
play, but with a number of the world's top iron players near the top of the leader board all week it had a nice balance to it. Players were forced to take a little off the
fastball or end up risking double bogey. I'd guess that the USGA will end up considering more courses like TCC for the US Open which demand accuracy and overall
skill, because they can't, or rather shouldn't, just keep moving the tee boxes back every time somebody invents a technological edge that gives players more distance.

One thing about land is that there isn't a whole lot more being made these days.

I think utilizing these strategic types of courses is a fair compromise that won't require some of the distance-limiting ideas being considered such as standardized golf balls or club regulations. Make the extra length come with a corresponding extra risk and that will encourage players to develop more all-around skills, which I believe is more in line with the history and spirit of the game
and will hopefully allow it to continue in a form recognizable to the pioneers in the sport.

I found it cool that the winner of the tournament, Matt Fitzpatrick, isn't a muscled-up gorilla and was known, until recently, as a guy who doesn't really hit the ball long enough off the tee to
be a top threat.

We all like to hit nice long straight drives or hit a beauty long and straight from the fairway. But the game is, and always will be, about putting.
If I have a good round, its usually because I'm putting well.

I have an old and cheap putter. It just feels good in my hand and I do well with it. There are times when I think about getting a new putter. I go to golf shops and try out different putters, all very expensive. I could afford to buy one, but I decide to stay with my old unattractive putter. I just don't feel that that I'll do any better by changing putters.

Last edited:
Looks like Brooks Keopka is joining the LIV for a $125million deal. Don't blame him but he was one who had to work himself on to the PGA tour by playing in Europe for a couple of years. Now he's giving it up.

When does this happen? I want to record it.

On your birthday! Starts 4th July. So there should be a great atmosphere on the course. Over the years, this pro-am has raised over EUR140 Million for charity. It's in Adare Manor in Limerick, (where the 2027 Ryder Cup will be held).

It will be live on Sky Sports. Tickets for fans are all gone for the course, it's always a sell out.

If you're wondering who JP McManus is, he's a very successful businessman known for his incredible gambling records in Horse Racing. He makes huge bets and owns a lot of horses and is involved in a lot of other businesses. He's a good pal of Tiger's and other golfers that's him on the right with Tiger and Mark O'Meara.

jp-mcmanus-mark-omeara-and-tiger-woods-at-pro-am-golf-tournament-adare-BN9NJM.jpg

Last edited:
On your birthday! Starts 4th July. So there should be a great atmosphere on the course. Over the years, this pro-am has raised over EUR140 Million for charity. It's in Adara Manor in Limerick, (where the 2027 Ryder Cup will be held)/

It will be live on Sky Sports. Tickets for fans are all gone for the course, it's always a sell out.

If you're wondering who JP McManus is, he's a very successful businessman known for his incredible gambling records in Horse Racing. He makes huge bets and owns a lot of horses and is involved in a lot of other businesses. He's a good pal of Tiger's and other golfers that's him on the right with Tiger and Mark O'Meara.

jp-mcmanus-mark-omeara-and-tiger-woods-at-pro-am-golf-tournament-adare-BN9NJM.jpg
Wow. Interesting.

We all like to hit nice long straight drives or hit a beauty long and straight from the fairway. But the game is, and always will be, about putting.
If I have a good round, its usually because I'm putting well.

I have an old and cheap putter. It just feels good in my hand and I do well with it. There are times when I think about getting a new putter. I go to golf shops and try out different putters, all very expensive. I could afford to buy one, but I decide to stay with my old unattractive putter. I just don't feel that that I'll do any better by changing putters.
The short game ..... is how to beat young whipper snappers

~Dee~

I can't figure out this game. Played 18 the other day and shot an awful 50 on the front 9. If fact, it was so bad I was surprised it was only 50 when I added the score. Back 9, I shot a 37.
I did decide to slow my swing on the back 9.

I can't figure out this game. Played 18 the other day and shot an awful 50 on the front 9. If fact, it was so bad I was surprised it was only 50 when I added the score. Back 9, I shot a 37.
I did decide to slow my swing on the back 9.

Sounds like you figured it out.

Back