The Golf thread

I don’t but a couple of my friends do. They sound decent, but I’m not a big music while I golf guy. I mean, I’m okay with it but I don’t play it myself.
When I first saw it I had thoughts of a device that did all of the distances for you but after watching some reviews it seems that it's nothing more than a Bluetooth speaker and you still have to use your phone's gps for distances.

When I first saw it I had thoughts of a device that did all of the distances for you but after watching some reviews it seems that it's nothing more than a Bluetooth speaker and you still have to use your phone's gps for distances.
The ones I have experienced announced the distances when you stop through the speaker over the music in addition to send the info to your phone/watch.

The ones I have experienced announced the distances when you stop through the speaker over the music in addition to send the info to your phone/watch.
I would never have music in my ears while on the golf course. One of the great things about being out on the course is the peace and quiet.

This isn't about golf. In the US open American Francis Tiafoe is playing in the men's semifinal tonight at 7. Quite a story. His father came here from Nigeria. Got a job as a maintenance man at a tennis club in Maryland. He would take his son to work, someone saw him hitting balls, and now he's a top ranked professional.

Playing 9 holes this afternoon with Jr. It will be the first time I've been on a golf course since HS...well, actually golfing anyway.
Have fun, as frustrating as it can be, the main thing is just to enjoy being out there. I've waited 30 years for my PGA card to come in the mail, now I say screw it.

Fucking US open crowd cheering a Spainish player just as much as the American player. I guess that what you get in NY Upper West Side fans paying up to $6000 per ticket.

Have fun, as frustrating as it can be, the main thing is just to enjoy being out there. I've waited 30 years for my PGA card to come in the mail, now I say screw it.
It was a good time. I ended up shooting a 62 for 9 holes from the men's regular tees with a birdie on a tournament-level course. Had enough fun that I'm going to put some work into it, maybe even take a couple lessons.

It was a good time. I ended up shooting a 62 for 9 holes from the men's regular tees with a birdie on a tournament-level course. Had enough fun that I'm going to put some work into it, maybe even take a couple lessons.
Good for you. I've never taken a lesson. I figure that I can F up enough without help from anyone else.

For me what was most important to realize, with respect to my swing, was to keep my hands in and making sure that my left arm (I’m a righty) was straight on my backswing.
I’ve had to recalibrate everything, as I’m crushing the ball more than I was previously. My 9 iron is generally between 160-170, my four iron is around 230-240, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

For me what was most important to realize, with respect to my swing, was to keep my hands in and making sure that my left arm (I’m a righty) was straight on my backswing.
I’ve had to recalibrate everything, as I’m crushing the ball more than I was previously. My 9 iron is generally between 160-170, my four iron is around 230-240, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yikes. You are up there with my 22 year old son. Curious: What shafts are you using in your irons?

Question for all you advanced golfers. Let's say the ball is somewhere between 30-10 yards from the green and in thick grass, are you better off using a pitching wedge or a sand wedge for that shot?
To be honest, I've never used a sand wedge except hitting out of a bunker or sand trap. But I was thinking today of perhaps trying a sand wedge in that situation.
Thoughts.

Question for all you advanced golfers. Let's say the ball is somewhere between 30-10 yards from the green and in thick grass, are you better off using a pitching wedge or a sand wedge for that shot?
To be honest, I've never used a sand wedge except hitting out of a bunker or sand trap. But I was thinking today of perhaps trying a sand wedge in that situation.
Thoughts.
Three iron chip and use the pin to slow the ball down.

Thoughts.

I would use a sand wedge. It will have more loft getting the ball airborne easier. It will have more bounce should you contact the ground trying to dig it out of something more deep and it will be heavier allowing for momentum to move through the thicker grass.

Then make sure it flies to the pin, gets caught up in the flag and drops straight down into the cup. Works every time.

Last edited:
Very obviously, the second line of my response is to be ignored as you knew. Otherwise, SW all day long every time.

Tomorrow is the big day. We will be going to play probably the toughest course that I have ever played. I'm a bit nervous. I wasn't able to get a round in the past weekend so I'll be going in a bit cold. Even though it's a Thursday it looks like it will be a packed course. There are only two tee times remaining for the entire day. We're dragging my father in law along for the ride though. He can't play golf anymore but he enjoys riding around in the golf cart and drinking beer. I'm sure he will heckle us plenty too.

Back