The Golf thread

Tomorrow is the big day. We will be going to play probably the toughest course that I have ever played. I'm a bit nervous. I wasn't able to get a round in the past weekend so I'll be going in a bit cold. Even though it's a Thursday it looks like it will be a packed course. There are only two tee times remaining for the entire day. We're dragging my father in law along for the ride though. He can't play golf anymore but he enjoys riding around in the golf cart and drinking beer. I'm sure he will heckle us plenty too.
Have fun and I find that a little break, ie going in cold every now and then. Means I‘m more relaxed and I’ve got nothing to lose, as I’m just regrouping. Less pressure.

~Dee~

Last edited:
Reactions: Alk
I would use a sand wedge. It will have more loft getting the ball airborne easier. It will have more should you contact the ground trying to dig it out of something more deep and it will be heavier allowing for momentum to move through the thicker grass.

Then make sure it flies to the pin, gets caught up in the flag and drops straight down into the cup. Works every time.
That’s what I’d do more times then not. I may change it up for the 30 yarder and use my 7 iron, bump and run it, depending on the fairway distance and rough.

~Dee~

I would use a sand wedge. It will have more loft getting the ball airborne easier. It will have more should you contact the ground trying to dig it out of something more deep and it will be heavier allowing for momentum to move through the thicker grass.
O
Then make sure it flies to the pin, gets caught up in the flag and drops straight down into the cup. Works every time.
Thanks. My short game has been awful. Example, I played a 556 par 5 the other day. I made it to about 25 yards from the green hitting a nice drive and a good fairway metal. I was in thick grass so I used my pitching wedge, got under the ball but only got 15 yards. Next shot again in tall thick grass over compensate and hit it 40 feet pass the pin. Two putts and I had a boggie rather than a birdie or par that was dancing through my head.

That's when I started thinking about the sand wedge. I have a charity team type outing coming up. I know that I can contribute to the team hitting my long clubs and my putting isn't that bad. Chipping is where I suck lately. So anything that I can change to help the team, I'm willing to try.

Thanks. My short game has been awful. Example, I played a 556 par 5 the other day. I made it to about 25 yards from the green hitting a nice drive and a good fairway metal. I was in thick grass so I used my pitching wedge, got under the ball but only got 15 yards. Next shot again in tall thick grass over compensate and hit it 40 feet pass the pin. Two putts and I had a boggie rather than a birdie or par that was dancing through my head.

That's when I started thinking about the sand wedge. I have a charity team type outing coming up. I know that I can contribute to the team hitting my long clubs and my putting isn't that bad. Chipping is where I suck lately. So anything that I can change to help the team, I'm willing to try.

My chipping game is the weakest link for one too. I putt from everywhere I can. You gave a pretty specific set of circumstances: 10-30 feet deep rough. Had you said the cuff or same distance from the fair (if short cut) I would have told that I would putt it. I plan to work on it more.

Or here is something that we could both do to make our chipping game much less of a bother: HIT MORE GREENS. LOL :ROFLMAO: (y):beer:

Sound like what happens to me
i recently got a lob wedge and really like it. I have a sand wedge but was hitting way over the green on shorter wedge shots. One really short but not puttable I use a 7iron and do bump-and-run

Sound like what happens to me
i recently got a lob wedge and really like it. I have a sand wedge but was hitting way over the green on shorter wedge shots. One really short but not puttable I use a 7iron and do bump-and-run
Yup the 7 bump and run had been a staple but not from the thick taller areas. Going to try the sand and if that isn't working I'll check out a lob wedge.

Yup the 7 bump and run had been a staple but not from the thick taller areas. Going to try the sand and if that isn't working I'll check out a lob wedge.
Your right a bump and run with a 7 iron is not ideal. It’s an acquired taste.... good luck

~Dee~

That’s what I’d do more times then not. I may change it up for the 30 yarder and use my 7 iron, bump and run it, depending on the fairway distance and rough.

~Dee~
I have used my 7 for virtually every thing. Especially in the above scenario, 10 yards, definitely the 7. 30 yards, the seven if there's enough green, (15 yds?) to work with. Nobody else, just me

I have used my 7 for virtually every thing. Especially in the above scenario, 10 yards, definitely the 7. 30 yards, the seven if there's enough green, (15 yds?) to work with. Nobody else, just me
And that is a great strategy. One often suggested by teaching pros. The only issue is he described his situation as one being deep in the rough. In that case, you need something more lofted.

I was replying to this specific scenario but yes I do use my seven iron as a utility club it’s probably used more that way then any other iron. I still have irons not a huge fan of hybrids myself.

~Dee~

I was replying to this specific scenario but yes I do use my seven iron as a utility club it’s probably used more that way then any other iron. I still have irons not a huge fan of hybrids myself.

~Dee~
I'm pretty stubborn. In wicked deep grass I'd probably just keep keep wackin at it with the 7. :rofl:

It was a pretty rough round but what a great course. I hit a shocking number of fairways today but struggled like hell with my second shots. I really don't even want to know how many balls I lost. All in all It was a pretty rough round but what a great course. I hit a shocking number of fairways today but struggled like hell with my second shots. I really don't even want to know how many balls I lost. All in all it was a great day with the boys though. I finished the day with a 124 which I can't really complain too much about.

Snapchat-1617728222.jpgSnapchat-2064829706.jpgSnapchat-592235406.jpgSnapchat-115958946.jpgSnapchat-1692005574.jpgSnapchat-820111755.jpg

Last edited:
It was a pretty rough round but what a great course. I hit a shocking number of fairways today but struggled like hell with my second shots. I really don't even want to know how many balls I lost. All in all It was a pretty rough round but what a great course. I hit a shocking number of fairways today but struggled like hell with my second shots. I really don't even want to know how many balls I lost. All in all it was a great day with the boys though. I finished the day with a 124 which I can't really complain too much about.

View attachment 12478View attachment 12479View attachment 12480View attachment 12481View attachment 12482View attachment 12483
Looks like a links type course from the photos. I play that type of course most of the time.

Headed out to Stoney Creek to play with my younger son this afternoon. Wish us luck that we get all 18 in. 3:20 tee time on this public course is pushing it for sure.

Could be the day he finally gets me for a full round. My head is a bit heavy from being out on the lake yesterday afternoon/evening.

I need to be careful these days to avoid trying to hit it too far as he out drives me by 40 yards...

This week is the Pesidents Cup. USA vs the rest of the world except Europe.
Always very entertaining with different formats of play.

Play starts Thursday and will end on Sunday. They should have gone Wed through Sat. Sunday they will be competing with the NFL. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Headed out to Stoney Creek to play with my younger son this afternoon. Wish us luck that we get all 18 in. 3:20 tee time on this public course is pushing it for sure.

Could be the day he finally gets me for a full round. My head is a bit heavy from being out on the lake yesterday afternoon/evening.

I need to be careful these days to avoid trying to hit it too far as he out drives me by 40 yards...
Beat him by 1. So close.

His new driver arrived yesterday and he immediately made an appointment for a re-fitting. He did some research and was unhappy with the lack of shafts the fitter showed him. He was constituently 117-122 MPH which necessitates a very stiff shaft. I was there for the fitting and in an hour he only showed him two one of which was a $300 upgrade (hell no!). He is also a little upset the fitter changed heads on the order without telling him. Not to say it isn't the right head, but the feedback from the fitter was poor. He started off hitting my driver and a baseline of about 255 and the fitter had him up to 307, but inexplicably changed heads and the last few drives were in the 265-70 range. We attributed it to 50 swings in an hour. He called the PXG manager and the manager has him coming back in.

Other than the fitter, the experience was great. Beautiful facility and gear is really solid. I am way to frugal to spend $2000 on a set of new irons but they have a used program... HMMMM.

Back