The Golf thread

Yes. P44 has it right.

The top two from each group advance and the groups start into group play tomorrow. There will be more than one match on Saturday and Sunday per player if they advance. I love this format!

Player y player both physically and mentally. I really really really really really enjoy it. Both watching and playing match. Same game but oh so different.

Yes. P44 has it right.

The top two from each group advance and the groups start into group play tomorrow. There will be more than one match on Saturday and Sunday per player if they advance. I love this format!

Player y player both physically and mentally. I really really really really really enjoy it. Both watching and playing match. Same game but oh so different.
So it's kind of like a March Madness type tournament only players start off in teams?
BTW, March Madness has really lived up to it's name this year. One of the best that I can remember, if you can get by the MSU loss.:D

So it's kind of like a March Madness type tournament only players start off in teams?
BTW, March Madness has really lived up to it's name this year. One of the best that I can remember, if you can get by the MSU loss.:D
It is a March madness type event of players versus players, but they’re in groups to begin with and not teams. After the first couple of matches inside of their groups, they move on to a more bracket type format.

Was this at the match play tournament this week. I understand match play but I still don't understand how it works with so many players.
Format: The 64 players are divided into 16 groups of four. Each player will compete in match play against the other three players within his group over the first three days. A match victory is worth one point. A tied match is worth a half-point. A loss is worth zero points.

The player with the most points in his group after three days of round-robin play will advance to the knockout stage.

If two or more players are tied in their group after the three pool-play matches, then those players will compete in a stroke-play, sudden-death playoff to determine who advances.

Sixteen players will qualify for the single-elimination portion. Here’s how the week’s schedule plays out:
  • Wednesday: Group play
  • Thursday: Group play
  • Friday: Group play
  • Saturday: Round of 16 (morning); quarterfinals (afternoon)
  • Sunday: Semifinals (morning); finals and third-place match (afternoon)
What is match play? Instead of players competing against par, like in stroke play, they compete against each other in one-on-one matches. If a player scores lower on a hole than his opponent, he wins the hole. Once a player is leading by more holes than there are to play, then he is declared the winner.

Holes can be tied and so, too, can be matches – in pool play. Over the first three days, matches conclude after 18 holes, even if tied (half-points are awarded). Once the knockout stage begins, a winner must be declared so players will compete in sudden death if tied after 18 holes.

How are the groups determined? The top 16 committed players, based on the OWGR, head each group. That is the “A” player. Each group also has a “B” player, a randomly drawn player among the next 16 committed players in the rankings; a “C” player from the next 16 committed players in the rankings; and a “D” player from the final 16 committed players in the rankings.

~Dee~

Last edited:
If two or more players are tied in their group after the three pool-play matches, then those players will compete in a stroke-play, sudden-death playoff to determine who advances.

~Dee~
Not fair! The other guy should get his chance too, :coffee:

Cheers

I was just thinking this could be fun. What's everyone's most memorable golf shot? I was fortunate and my friend had Snapchat rolling as I took mine. Here's the backstory.

Every year a group of about 30 guys would charter a bus and go somewhere within four hours for a weekend of golf. As you can imagine there was no shortage of alcohol. Anyway, I was struggling as I always did back then when I hit my ball into the water. Upon further inspection we found that it was only just barely in the water. It was just deep enough to cover the ball. My friend was like "you can hit out of there easily". I nodded my head in agreement. What my friend had forgotten was that I'm a lefty. I traipsed out into the pond ankle deep, shoes and all and started lining up my shot. I'll be damned if I didn't connect and actually drop the ball on the green. It was an otherwise meaningless shot as I had no chance of scoring any points on that hole but damn was it a story. I still have the video but I don't know if it would let me upload it so here's a screenshot I took of the perfect moment. Screenshot_20230306-112258_Video Player.jpg

I was just thinking this could be fun. What's everyone's most memorable golf shot? I was fortunate and my friend had Snapchat rolling as I took mine. Here's the backstory.

Every year a group of about 30 guys would charter a bus and go somewhere within four hours for a weekend of golf. As you can imagine there was no shortage of alcohol. Anyway, I was struggling as I always did back then when I hit my ball into the water. Upon further inspection we found that it was only just barely in the water. It was just deep enough to cover the ball. My friend was like "you can hit out of there easily". I nodded my head in agreement. What my friend had forgotten was that I'm a lefty. I traipsed out into the pond ankle deep, shoes and all and started lining up my shot. I'll be damned if I didn't connect and actually drop the ball on the green. It was an otherwise meaningless shot as I had no chance of scoring any points on that hole but damn was it a story. I still have the video but I don't know if it would let me upload it so here's a screenshot I took of the perfect moment. View attachment 15988
That. Is. Awesome.

Wake up, it's Masters week!!
Today is the Par 3 contest which players and their relatives compete. Always a fun event if you can catch some of it on ESPN.
I just hope that no LIV player finishes in the top 20.

Today is the Par 3 contest which players and their relatives compete. Always a fun event if you can catch some of it on ESPN.
How about something completely different. Raucous booing and hissing while they putt?

the par 3 challenge yesterday was fun to watch
watching the early action on CBS sports app.... woods struggling but did just have a nice hole on the last par 5. he's in a group with Schauffle and Hovland. Hovland current leader at -4. Cameron Young also looking good early. UPDATE - young did boggy a whole and just missed a birdie put and is at -2

For those that have Paramount+ -- they are covering the tournament live now, which could have been made more obvious on their
home screen. So, you might be able to see Tiger now before he misses the cut and limps over the horizon.

I have nothing against the guy, but he's a great example of how this country seems to like to build up a guy into being a God that walks
amongst us, then he gets hammered until people can't stand him until, finally, the networks decide he's been humbled enough and is now
a sympathetic character and we can like him again.

For those that have Paramount+ -- they are covering the tournament live now, which could have been made more obvious on their
home screen. So, you might be able to see Tiger now before he misses the cut and limps over the horizon.

I have nothing against the guy, but he's a great example of how this country seems to like to build up a guy into being a God that walks
amongst us, then he gets hammered until people can't stand him until, finally, the networks decide he's been humbled enough and is now
a sympathetic character and we can like him again.
you can also watch on CBS sports app for free. and they have focused a lot on tiger's group. looks bad when they put a graphic up and Hovland is 1st, Schauffle tied for 2nd and tiger is 60th

LIV alert... Keopka tied for lead (currently) at -7 with Rahm and Hovland. while running an errand I put on Sirius XM Master coverage and they were pointing out that the LIV guys have played a limited amount of competitive golf so far this year and do 54 holes, not 72, so they may fade as tourney goes on. lets see.
believe they said there's some bad/iffy weather moving in for tomorrow and/or saturday so could make it interesting. watching it, looks pretty ideal today

LIV alert... Keopka tied for lead (currently) at -7 with Rahm and Hovland. while running an errand I put on Sirius XM Master coverage and they were pointing out that the LIV guys have played a limited amount of competitive golf so far this year and do 54 holes, not 72, so they may fade as tourney goes on. lets see.
believe they said there's some bad/iffy weather moving in for tomorrow and/or saturday so could make it interesting. watching it, looks pretty ideal today
Yup, there is supposed to be some bad weather coming in tomorrow afternoon. Bad news for Tiger who has an afternoon start and is +2, looks like a long shot to make the cut.
Keopka is no longer a blonde and had a good day. He's the only LIV player in the mix after day 1.

Without a doubt, my favorite tournament to watch. The course is beautiful, the traditions run deep and I always look forward to my rejection email for tickets every year.

I would love to see Rahm win it.
Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF by MOODMAN

Without a doubt, my favorite tournament to watch. The course is beautiful, the traditions run deep and I always look forward to my rejection email for tickets every year.
I was able to attend all four days back in 2011. It was through a company event and I actually have a green jacket that is only slightly different from the original. I also have a picture of the “champions dinner“ we had mimicking the Masters champions, dinner. Unfortunately, that was the last year my company paid for that. It is an amazing place. It cost a fortune to get in and the items for sale in the “Pro shop“ are ridiculously expensive, but the food is next to free and because you are still not able to bring phones on Course, they have banks of free pay phones throughout the course where you can call throughout the world at no charge.

Back