The Golf thread

saw the end of the RBC yesterday.... when Speith had that short put to win, and the camera angle was nice and low to show the ball rolling to the hole.... then it made a slight more to the right, rimmed cup and staid out.... wow. that was close... then Speith loses on next playoff hole.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/M3xYucNLaus

I said to my wife, that missed putt might have cost him $500,000.
I was wrong. It cost him over a million.

Today is 3 months exactly since I had major surgery. One of my goals was to get back on the golf course before the NFL draft. Today I played 4 holes and got a par on the last hole which was a par 5.
Going to go out again tomorrow with the goal of playing 6 holes. :D

EDIT: Played 6 today and discovered that being afraid to swing hard is a good thing. So you give up a few yards, but the consistent good contact and getting the ball to go where you want is worth it.

Last edited:
Today is 3 months exactly since I had major surgery. One of my goals was to get back on the golf course before the NFL draft. Today I played 4 holes and got a par on the last hole which was a par 5.
Going to go out again tomorrow with the goal of playing 6 holes. :D

EDIT: Played 6 today and discovered that being afraid to swing hard is a good thing. So you give up a few yards, but the consistent good contact and getting the ball to go where you want is worth it.
Best of luck in feeling better real soon.

A few years back I had what you might call major surgery after fractured ribs punctured my chest wall and I had almost the same injury Bledsoe suffered. My Thoracic guy was making small talk while he was trying to milk blood out of my lungs by squeezing the chest tubes that had been inside me for a week and asked if I played golf. I managed to say yes and he said "this will be the
best thing for your game.....you'll develop a more compact swing".

He was right. About 8 weeks later I played in a tournament and the first tee shot I felt something rip. Then, I felt better, but I did learn to take a little off the fastball and have become
more consistent because I don't overswing as often.

Aside from that, I watched this excellent video from the Barstool Sports people where they conned Rory McIlroy into helping them hit bombs and he gives some very detailed (and fun) instruction. It's well worth the watch. I recently got a new driver for the season and I can't wait to try some of these tips out. Enjoy.

View: https://youtu.be/CdEK92u5gJc

Best of luck in feeling better real soon.

A few years back I had what you might call major surgery after fractured ribs punctured my chest wall and I had almost the same injury Bledsoe suffered. My Thoracic guy was making small talk while he was trying to milk blood out of my lungs by squeezing the chest tubes that had been inside me for a week and asked if I played golf. I managed to say yes and he said "this will be the
best thing for your game.....you'll develop a more compact swing".

He was right. About 8 weeks later I played in a tournament and the first tee shot I felt something rip. Then, I felt better, but I did learn to take a little off the fastball and have become
more consistent because I don't overswing as often.

Aside from that, I watched this excellent video from the Barstool Sports people where they conned Rory McIlroy into helping them hit bombs and he gives some very detailed (and fun) instruction. It's well worth the watch. I recently got a new driver for the season and I can't wait to try some of these tips out. Enjoy.

View: https://youtu.be/CdEK92u5gJc

That was an interesting watch. Thanks for posting.
I also find that concentrating on slowing the swing helps me keep my focus on where I need to strike the ball. The old grip and rip way has you thinking more about where you want to hit rather than how you want to hit.
If that makes sense.

That was an interesting watch. Thanks for posting.
I also find that concentrating on slowing the swing helps me keep my focus on where I need to strike the ball. The old grip and rip way has you thinking more about where you want to hit rather than how you want to hit.
If that makes sense.

You're welcome. It's not easy living in the Northeast and having to find your swing after not doing it for six months or so, never mind having to do so after surgery. I just played my first 9 of the year down in the Outer Banks of NC and all I wanted was no dribblers or pop-ups off the tee. Decent contact and no worries about distance with rented clubs on a course I'd never seen. I didn't score what I expect to score, but I walked away happy just to be playing again and I'll worry about satisfying my own expectations in a month or two.

For me it's always the good/great shots that I remember after a round-- a beautiful, solid strike with a 5-iron that faded against the wind nicely and rolled up inside 10 feet was my mental takeaway from The Point. I have a harder time recalling the 3 putt finish to that hole. I always try to view myself as the guy that hit that approach shot and not the one that blew a makeable bird/certain par and that keeps me looking forward to the next time.

You're welcome. It's not easy living in the Northeast and having to find your swing after not doing it for six months or so, never mind having to do so after surgery. I just played my first 9 of the year down in the Outer Banks of NC and all I wanted was no dribblers or pop-ups off the tee. Decent contact and no worries about distance with rented clubs on a course I'd never seen. I didn't score what I expect to score, but I walked away happy just to be playing again and I'll worry about satisfying my own expectations in a month or two.

For me it's always the good/great shots that I remember after a round-- a beautiful, solid strike with a 5-iron that faded against the wind nicely and rolled up inside 10 feet was my mental takeaway from The Point. I have a harder time recalling the 3 putt finish to that hole. I always try to view myself as the guy that hit that approach shot and not the one that blew a makeable bird/certain par and that keeps me looking forward to the next time.
Just being out on the course was lift for my head and sprit. The first 2 months didn’t bother me much because I would get tired easily, As I started to feel better and stronger, I was getting a little bored although I was doing some walking and more exercise.
My wife commented that I seemed to hit the ball better, but also I was smiling more than I have even before the surgery.
It is amazing how we block out the very bad shots, yet the very good ones are like sugar plumbs dancing in our heads until the next round. :D

I don't know why this cracked me up so much. Probably because it's true. 🤣

Since this thread was bumped, I am happy to post that yesterday I was able to play a full 9 holes. This puts me about 2 weeks ahead of schedule in my recovery from major surgery.
My next goal is to be able to play a complete 18 hole round by 6/1/23.
I have learned that playing smart golf has better results than using brute force. In the past when faced with a choice of playing smart or trying to overhit, I usually chose the overhit option. :cool:

Congrats to my favorite PGA player Tony Finau who won the Mexico Open. Although the field was not loaded, he finished ahead of 2nd place Jon Rahm, so he did have the top player chasing him and didn't fold.

next tournament - I think it's the Wells fargo something-or-other looks to have more big names in it.

Hit a hole in one on Friday night on the way to a -16 round. Oh yeah we were playing Golden Tee. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I went out this weekend with my wife and played 9 holes. I was expecting the place to be packed because it was such a nice day but there wasn't a soul out there. I played really well by my standards finishing with a 48. I was so-so off of the tee box but my irons were really good. It's going to sound funny but I have been picking up tips from TikTok videos and it has really helped me. I just missed a par put on number 9 and finished with a bogey. I really wanted to keep playing because I thought it might be the time when I finally break 100 but my wife was ready to go. I'm looking forward to getting back out there. I'm trying really hard to not let it mess with my workout schedule but it seems like all of my friends go play during the week.

I went out this weekend with my wife and played 9 holes. I was expecting the place to be packed because it was such a nice day but there wasn't a soul out there. I played really well by my standards finishing with a 48. I was so-so off of the tee box but my irons were really good. It's going to sound funny but I have been picking up tips from TikTok videos and it has really helped me. I just missed a par put on number 9 and finished with a bogey. I really wanted to keep playing because I thought it might be the time when I finally break 100 but my wife was ready to go. I'm looking forward to getting back out there. I'm trying really hard to not let it mess with my workout schedule but it seems like all of my friends go play during the week.
I have found some YouTube vids I like. There is a ton of them so finding someone you feel you ‘get’ helps. Rick shiels is one I watch.

I played 4 days in a row which is a 1st for me. Yesterday I played alone with no one in front or back of me. It is so peaceful and tranquil out there. It's very uncommon to have that spacing between playing groups on such a beautiful day.
I did disturb the peace a couple of times.😃
As much as I like being with other players, having a few days being alone over the course of the season is great.

I played 4 days in a row which is a 1st for me. Yesterday I played alone with no one in front or back of me. It is so peaceful and tranquil out there. It's very uncommon to have that spacing between playing groups on such a beautiful day.
I did disturb the peace a couple of times.😃
As much as I like being with other players, having a few days being alone over the course of the season is great.

I've been in a Monday golf league for a long time and yesterday was the opener. I had one birdie and made my quota number, so it wasn't bad but I'm in good shot/bad shot mode this
early in the season. It's a process. One of my partners is an older guy who has COPD and went on oxygen since I last saw him. It was kind of tough, because he can barely walk up a small hill but I was happy to be his wing man for as long as he wants to keep doing it even though I play better when I walk. I drive and pick up his balls and clubs because he can't really bend over. We have to use a cart with a handicapped flag and I got chewed out by a ranger for parking next to the green on a par 3, but I was asked to do that by a guy that can barely breathe. So, I got a lecture and dirty looks, but was doing the right thing. I'd do it again without a worry.

Having said that, it's tough to try and play when you're trying to help somebody else or watching them to make sure they are OK. It's been a while since I was really thinking and concentrating on every shot and I might need to start doing some solos. I don't remember the last time I did it, but nobody I play with is very serious about the game and it might help me find the zone again.

That is when golf is fun. When you're in control and able to relax a bit and not get constantly distracted. Yukking it up and playing beer golf is fine, but I now prefer to play well first and do that afterwards.

I've been in a Monday golf league for a long time and yesterday was the opener. I had one birdie and made my quota number, so it wasn't bad but I'm in good shot/bad shot mode this
early in the season. It's a process. One of my partners is an older guy who has COPD and went on oxygen since I last saw him. It was kind of tough, because he can barely walk up a small hill but I was happy to be his wing man for as long as he wants to keep doing it even though I play better when I walk. I drive and pick up his balls and clubs because he can't really bend over. We have to use a cart with a handicapped flag and I got chewed out by a ranger for parking next to the green on a par 3, but I was asked to do that by a guy that can barely breathe. So, I got a lecture and dirty looks, but was doing the right thing. I'd do it again without a worry.

Having said that, it's tough to try and play when you're trying to help somebody else or watching them to make sure they are OK. It's been a while since I was really thinking and concentrating on every shot and I might need to start doing some solos. I don't remember the last time I did it, but nobody I play with is very serious about the game and it might help me find the zone again.

That is when golf is fun. When you're in control and able to relax a bit and not get constantly distracted. Yukking it up and playing beer golf is fine, but I now prefer to play well first and do that afterwards.
Good man.

And you are right, don’t sweat the cart location. We had a couple of super seniors at our club and they drove everywhere (sand traps, greens etc.). Eventually people got over it. They did have handicap flags on the roof.

I do score better when playing alone. Perhaps it's that I can focus better rather than listen to conversations. It is fun to play with a good group of guys but it's also nice to play alone so you have that focus.
There were 4 friends that I would play with regularly. Three have passed on and the other has health issues. Another guy with whom I been friendly with asked me to join his foursome for a couple of times per week. I told him that I may bad luck, but if they want to risk it, I'd join up with them.
It still gives me some time to play alone.

Last edited:
Back