The Golf thread

The PGA was a great show and I didn't get much done over the weekend after getting hooked on it.

The big takeaway for me was that after getting off to a decent start, I played some fairly shitty golf my last 27 holes and it was heartwarming to see all those
great and famous golfers missing badly and hitting five foot flubs out of the deep rough. So, it wasn't just me after all. I love seeing those guys suffering.

I've got league this afternoon and am going to slow my swing down to get back to making solid contact and the rest will straighten itself out quick enough. I'm
went with the "take a week off" theory and will start over.

I get you, but I've given him a pass as I think his knee injury gave him pause for gambling a successful PGA return after rehab --- unlike Phil who is a true degenerate gambler who needed LIV $$ to rehab his self-destructive self :)

Corey Conners was in the exact bunker spot in RD 3 paired w/ Keopka and embedded in the same bunker lip slightly higher than Hovland, making a double as well

both guys had ball below their feet w/ that grass lip in their face --- I thought Hovland (luv his game) would never make the same stroke tho :(
I didn't see Conners shot as I have been down here outside our nations capital where you can see visible signs of the trillions being spread around Southern MD and Northern Va.

Last edited:
The PGA was a great show and I didn't get much done over the weekend after getting hooked on it.

The big takeaway for me was that after getting off to a decent start, I played some fairly shitty golf my last 27 holes and it was heartwarming to see all those
great and famous golfers missing badly and hitting five foot flubs out of the deep rough. So, it wasn't just me after all. I love seeing those guys suffering.

I've got league this afternoon and am going to slow my swing down to get back to making solid contact and the rest will straighten itself out quick enough. I'm
I always say I could make that shot lol.

~Dee~

We will be returning home on Tuesday and I booked a tee time for Wed. Four months out from surgery now so I want to start expanding past 9 holes with the ultimate goal of being able to play 18 by mid June.
I'm hoping that as I progress that I don’t start swinging harder. I feel like I'm playing better slowing my swing and taking an extra second to read when putting.
Just read that the head of the PGA did not shake Brooks Keopka's hand at the awards ceremony.

Last edited:
with Colonial CC not likely to be as much a PGA Championship punitive setup, will Michael Block & his magical-mystery tour swing hold up?

will he make the cut? I donno --- but if he makes the cut & Patrick Cantlay is also in The Field, as long as Michael posts better than that slo-mo playing dipshid, I'll be happy :p

We will be returning home on Tuesday and I booked a tee time for Wed. Four months out from surgery now so I want to start expanding past 9 holes with the ultimate goal of being able to play 18 by mid June.
I'm hoping that as I progress that I don’t start swinging harder. I feel like I'm playing better slowing my swing and taking an extra second to read when putting.
Just read that the head of the PGA did not shake Brooks Keopka's hand at the awards ceremony.

All I'm sure of is that I want to watch the best guys and there are a group of them that made the jump to LIV.

I don't see them as traitors but as free agents who took a ridiculous amount of cash from the clueless Saudis. If you want to argue that
the sheiks are corrupt and have blood on their hands I could counter that there are a lot of sharks involved with big-ticket golf in this
country and I'm not sure if anybody is wearing a white hat.

I will allow that the way the PGA has handled the spin from their end seems petty and contrived to me. The same stuff as when the AFL started up
and the NFL treated the new competitor as a joke.

All I'm sure of is that I want to watch the best guys and there are a group of them that made the jump to LIV.

I don't see them as traitors but as free agents who took a ridiculous amount of cash from the clueless Saudis. If you want to argue that
the sheiks are corrupt and have blood on their hands I could counter that there are a lot of sharks involved with big-ticket golf in this

I will allow that the way the PGA has handled the spin from their end seems petty and contrived to me. The same stuff as when the AFL started up

this wouldah nevaah happen'd haddah Chaalee Bakeah or, dare I say, a Maahtee Walsh been made PGA Commishenaah 🙃

with Colonial CC not likely to be as much a PGA Championship punitive setup, will Michael Block & his magical-mystery tour swing hold up?

will he make the cut? I donno --- but if he makes the cut & Patrick Cantlay is also in The Field, as long as Michael posts better than that slo-mo playing dipshid, I'll be happy :p
Question 1: My son asked the same thing. Does Block have the ability to go LOW as the rest of the field will likely do? Doubt it. Oak Hill kept them close and he played VERY smart. His game plan was to keep the ball in play and you could tell it by the shot making he undertook. Extra clubs and safe cuts.

Question 2: Cantlay is painful to watch and he has to be the most hated partner out there. I would simply walk away form him off the tee and greens.

Question 1: My son asked the same thing. Does Block have the ability to go LOW as the rest of the field will likely do? Doubt it. Oak Hill kept them close and he played VERY smart. His game plan was to keep the ball in play and you could tell it by the shot making he undertook. Extra clubs and safe cuts.

Question 2: Cantlay is painful to watch and he has to be the most hated partner out there. I would simply walk away form him off the tee and greens.

Cantplay was painful to watch play in The Masters (I think he paired w/ Hovland one day) & I was rollin' my eyes watching him be a drag on a superior player

BUT then I MADE THE MISTAKE to tune in to the next event (RBC Heritage @ Harbour Town -- a fave course to me) only to see Cantplay in the last day final grouping w/ Speith & Fitzpatrick --- a couple of times I SWEAR if I were those poor bastids I'da beatin' that slo-poke w/ his own gap wedge in between holes on the back nine

just brutal to watch

There's a big difference between a few wealthy, and not so wealthy (Sullivans) men getting together to form a new football league, and the Suadis.
I'm a capitalist and I'm all for people earning as much as they can. But, where that money is coming from is important. Until they openly recognize that and justify taking that money, then they should be treated not as traitors, but as outsiders.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between a few wealthy, and not so wealthy (Sullivans) men getting together to form a new football league, and the Suadis.
I'm a capitalist and I'm all for people earning as much as they can. But, where that money is coming from is important. Until they openly recognize that and justify taking that money, then they should be treated not as traitors, but as outsiders.

I apologize if my words seem disrespectful to you or anybody else that read them. And, no, I'm not big fans of the Saudi Royal family. In retrospect,
it was a very careless way of expressing my cynicism towards the PGA tour. Next time I'll think more before typing.

Maybe I should stick to the game of golf and avoid geopolitical stuff, but it seems like those two things aren't as mutually exclusive as they used to be.

I generally prefer a very wide separation between Sport and State but maybe that is naive on my part or wishful thinking.

Cantplay was painful to watch play in The Masters (I think he paired w/ Hovland one day) & I was rollin' my eyes watching him be a drag on a superior player

BUT then I MADE THE MISTAKE to tune in to the next event (RBC Heritage @ Harbour Town -- a fave course to me) only to see Cantplay in the last day final grouping w/ Speith & Fitzpatrick --- a couple of times I SWEAR if I were those poor bastids I'da beatin' that slo-poke w/ his own gap wedge in between holes on the back nine

just brutal to watch
At one point Hovland took his shot after Cantplay took too long yet again on his shot

At one point Hovland took his shot after Cantplay took too long yet again on his shot
And left him alone on a green headed to the next tee when he took way to long to putt as he should have.

And I would do the same.

I had this happen in our Men's Match play my first year at the club (2001). I got up a hole and he slowed down. Got up another and he slowed down more. So much so that the asst. pro drove out to see why we were so slow. I was seething. Tony (the asst.) literally said (on the side) to me that he was doing it on purpose and that it seemed to be working. LOL. He was right. I started tending pins (we had caddies) for my opponent. I ordered drinks for both of us. I even handed him a rake - once.

I learned a lot from this match.

And the lesson?

Play your game.

Move along. Ignore the shit.

Be the player others want to play with as this pays off all season. (This was the best outcome even considering I beat that guy 5 and 4, LOL).

I apologize if my words seem disrespectful to you or anybody else that read them. And, no, I'm not big fans of the Saudi Royal family. In retrospect,
it was a very careless way of expressing my cynicism towards the PGA tour. Next time I'll think more before typing.

Maybe I should stick to the game of golf and avoid geopolitical stuff, but it seems like those two things aren't as mutually exclusive as they used to be.

I generally prefer a very wide separation between Sport and State but maybe that is naive on my part or wishful thinking.
Hawg,
I absolutely did not feel disrespected in anyway by your comments. You are certainly entitled to your thoughts and opinion. :)
The fact is that, like it or not, the LIV does bring out geopolitical issues because of the funding and who is providing financial backing. I wish that was not the case, but it is. There is no way to separate the two in this case.

The big news is that I was able to play 13 holes today. Getting closer to my goal of playing 18 by mid June. :beer:

Micheal Block shot a +11 81 yesterday. Going to have a hard time making the cut today.
Wow. He was at +2 when we left for a quick 9 of hit and giggle.

He had just made a miraculous shot hitting off of a stone bridge to within eight or 10 feet of the green.

Wow. He was at +2 when we left for a quick 9 of hit and giggle.

He had just made a miraculous shot hitting off of a stone bridge to within eight or 10 feet of the green.
I actually watched that shot. I was sitting there talking to my buddy who knows way more about golf than me. I was like. He's not really going to hit off of the path is he? :ROFLMAO: It was a great story and kind of sad to watch him fall the way that he did but man what a story.

regrettably Michael Block shot a +4 today for last place @ +15 so the magic ended

but he looked good in a matching lavender shirt & (no doubt comped) Nike golf shoes doing so

thankfully Patrick Cantplay ducked out the tourney after receiving multiple texts warning:

"We here in Fort Worth may talk slow but we draw down fast, on-course carry is allowed and we plum hate slow-pokin' playin'"

Back