The Golf thread

Celebrating Memorial Day today with around this afternoon. Was able to do 14 holes last time, hopefully will be able to do more today. Noticed last time that the more tired I got, the harder I would swing. Got to cut that crap out.

I was so close. I drove 7 hours home from Colorado yesterday and decided to go play 18 with a couple friends after I unloaded the car. I shot a 48 on the front and was feeling pretty good about things as I usually tend to play slightly better on the back 9. Things just didn't work out though. I think beer could have played a slight factor but hey, that's how I golf. I ended the day with a 104. I plan on playing again on Wednesday in preparation for the big golf weekend coming up. We play a four man scramble on Saturday afternoon and then I play individual on Sunday afternoon.

Even though most won't be impressed with my score, I have slowly seen my game improve. I think all of my working out has really helped. I'm hitting the ball much better. I have really focused on not trying to kill the ball and it seems that I actually hit it even further. I do slip up every now and then and forget that one little detail and it bites me in the ass every time. If there's one thing I still need to work on, it's my chipping. I had several duffs in some of the thicker roughs around the greens. Every time I would follow it up with a much better chip that would land me in putting position. I can think of a handful off the top of my head yesterday that would have brought me even closer to my goal. I know the most obvious advice is to practice more but I don't have time for practice. My practice comes on the course whenever I find time to get out there.

Even though most won't be impressed with my score, I have slowly seen my game improve. I think all of my working out has really helped. I'm hitting the ball much better. I have really focused on not trying to kill the ball and it seems that I actually hit it even further. I do slip up every now and then and forget that one little detail and it bites me in the ass every time. If there's one thing I still need to work on, it's my chipping. I had several duffs in some of the thicker roughs around the greens. Every time I would follow it up with a much better chip that would land me in putting position. I can think of a handful off the top of my head yesterday that would have brought me even closer to my goal. I know the most obvious advice is to practice more but I don't have time for practice. My practice comes on the course whenever I find time to get out there.
I've posted this a couple of times recently. Because of the major surgery that I had this winter, I have deliberately slowed my swing and the results have been excellent.
In fact I put the ball on the green in 2 on a long par 4. I have played this hole many,many times over the years and never put the ball on the green in 2 before. Every time that I find myself swinging harder, the results are worse.

As far as chipping is concerned, good luck with that. I'm like Jeckell and Hyde with that and have no clue why.

Reactions: Alk
Hope to play Friday. as always, working on trying to find anything resembling consistency :)
I bought my son a golf net that we setup in the yard and it's nice to have an option to hit a few real golf balls without having to drive to the range (or use foam practice balls)

Currently Focused on hitting a subset of my clubs consistently then will expand on that. that is currently driver, wedges (sand, lob, *) 6 - 9 irons. I have swung the other irons (don't even try fairway woods :) ) but it's wildly hit or miss. in fact, I used to tee off with my 3 iron as I couldn't hit a driver for $h!t but just worked on it as I had to be able to use a driver
(I was like Hank Stram... just matriculate the ball down the field/fairway)

the * is where you might have expected a pitching wedge. I have one, but it comes with a story.... my first set of clubs was from a long defunct Mall sports store when I just wanted anything so I could go with friends to mainly drink beer, drive in a cart, and oh yeah, try hitting a golf ball. The irons are "Palm Springs" (never heard of them either) and some wilson woods that are actually made of wood.
Been replacing those slowly but there's still a few Palm Springs in my bag (3, 4, 5 and pitching wedge) and I just don't use those at this time. the wilson woods are in a stray bag where we put all the reject clubs (as we replace something used or old with better). that is quite a bag of junk and it would be amusing for a good golfer to have to use those for a round to see the effect.
I know from the newer clubs I have been buying to replace the crap that, while the main thing is the person swinging the club, a good (and more forgiving) club seems to help.

What the hell happened to Rory? He was -3 on the 17th hole when I checked in, then went out for a while. I just checked the board and it shows him as even.
Did he drop 3 on the last 2?

It girls ie womens day on Thursday at our club lol. So some play 18 holes in the morning and 9 at night, or one or the other. Most of us play 18 over the weekend and 9 Thursday night lol. We played a scramble tonight and we laughed our butts off but managed to grasp second place by a point even though we were the only 3 some....I almost chipped in twice. I’ll probably suck next week lol.

Just looked up what happened with Rory. He was 3 under and 1 off the lead going into the 18th. He then shot a 7 on the par 4, without hitting it into the water, which now make him even and five off the lead.
Feel bad for him but it makes the rest of us feel better knowing that one of the top players in the world can be as bad as we are on any given hole.

Just looked up what happened with Rory. He was 3 under and 1 off the lead going into the 18th. He then shot a 7 on the par 4, without hitting it into the water, which now make him even and five off the lead.
Feel bad for him but it makes the rest of us feel better knowing that one of the top players in the world can be as bad as we are on any given hole.
7 on a par 4.... sounds pretty decent for me :coffee:

I see that Rory recovered and is now co-leader at 6 under. Should be an interesting final day.
I canceled my tee time today as it's 49 degrees with rain and wind. Like mid March in June.

I see that Rory recovered and is now co-leader at 6 under. Should be an interesting final day.
I canceled my tee time today as it's 49 degrees with rain and wind. Like mid March in June.
Me too

~Dee~

Rory Gagged it... and props to my boy Hovland for winning it! feel bad for McCarthy as he was impressive all day, but those last 2 holes (or was it three) are a bitch and Hovland was -1 for those three while McCarthy was +1, leading to the playoff.

all those guys there were close but didn't win can drown thier sorrows in the million plus they get for being close. It was something like 3milll+ for win, McCarthy got a big chunk for his position making playoff round and the Scheffler like 1.5mil? crazy $$

Rory Gagged it... and props to my boy Hovland for winning it! feel bad for McCarthy as he was impressive all day, but those last 2 holes (or was it three) are a bitch and Hovland was -1 for those three while McCarthy was +1, leading to the playoff.
Seemed like several player gave defeat from the jaws of victory.

Golf is so incredibly fucking stupid. 😂 I played in a tournament this weekend. Yesterday was a four man scramble. We started four hours late because of a torrential downpour. I probably drank more than I should have but we had a great time. We finished up at 9:30 pm in absolute darkness. Someone turned the light on on their phone and laid it by the hole so we could see where the cup was.

Today I played individual stroke play because why the fuck not? I came into the day feeling pretty down and played like crap. I finished the front 9 with a 61 and I honestly just wanted to go home. But then something flipped and I actually caught fire (by my standards) on the back 9 and I finished with a 45. I hit the flag three times on the back 9. All three should have gone in but only one actually did. All in all it was a good weekend with friends even though my wife maybe wasn't so impressed with me on Saturday night.

Back