The Hats off to Tom Brady thread

Actually, BB tried too hard. sCam was signed to be competitive. Obviously he sucked...but, won enough games to be a mediocre team (why try to have a chance to draft Shaggy?!?!).

Career post-season game-winning drives:

Tom Brady: 14
Joe Montana (4) + Drew Brees (3) + Peyton Manning (2) + Brett Favre (2) + Aaron Rodgers (2) : 13

Edit: Brady (so far) has played in 45 post-season games. The other five QBs listed combined for 114 post-season games.

Stats from Profootballreference.com

Last edited:

Joe Montana (4) + Drew Brees (3) + Peyton Manning (2) + Brett Favre (2) + Aaron Rodgers (2) : 13

Edit: Brady (so far) has played in 45 post-season games. The other five QBs listed combined for 114 post-season games.

This one goes in that book, the one that just lists those unbelievable Brady comparisons:
Widgets: TFB 14,255
Everyone else. 3

I didn't read it, but thanks for thinking of me.

Brady could do no wrong this season. Everything he touched turned to gold. Even the horrible guys on his OL got much better. It IS a little bit like all these
guys just woke up and believed they could be better and they were. Tom was the leader there that he was supposed to be. Better, actually.

Their opponents developed key injuries as if it were scripted. Devin White started playing like a beast and there were times last season where he looked lost. I don't
know who their personnel people are, but we should try to steal them because they've drafted a lot of top guys over the last half-dozen years or so. Better than us,
certainly.

Bruce Arians' got smarter and less dickish (still a dick, though). Gronk turned it on in limited snaps. Even career underachiever Leonard Fournette suddenly figured it out"
"Ohhhhh......so I weigh 235 and I'm NOT supposed go down on the first arm tackle" and he looked really good. Give them credit for turning that dog around.

I got nothing, really. It was like the plot of a corny comic book come to life with Tom playing the lead role and it's possible that they could be really good next year, too.

And after 20 years of staying on point in every presser he goes down there, buys the Bat Boat, wins it all and gets so drunk that he can hardly walk. I hope he
enjoyed himself.
I have to say Hawg, you should consider a career in media/communications like your brother if you are not working in it already. This post perfectly sums up the Tampa season in a way that is pithy and just plain fun to read. You really should not waste your talents on hacks like us but I do enjoy reading them and hope you never leave us!

One observation. I think for the last 20 years perhaps we missed the transformations that were happening right before us with Brady. Troy Brown had been cut a bunch of times prior to playing with Brady and then he became our most sure-handed, clutch receiver of all time. Welker was traded away by our division rival to us and he leads the league in receptions for 6 straight seasons. Even Randy Moss as great as he was, had his best season with Brady setting the TD catch record. I could list about a dozen more including how the Oline transformed under Brady compared to Bledsoe but you get the picture. And then you look at the defense - no one believed that 2001 defense was elite. It had a ton of talent just like Tampa did this year but it often underperformed. Brady steps on the field and that entire unit gels and starts playing lock down, smash mouth ball without the penalties and puts on a jaw dropping performance vs the greatest show on turf like Tampa just did to Mahomes and company. These are not coincidences or just luck but a complete buy in by the whole team. That is the Brady effect. I just don't think we saw it as clearly as we do now after his SB victory in Tampa when it pretty much hit us over the head.

I do, but it probably wouldn't have worked out for Tom and I in terms of hanging out and becoming cousins.

I'd be out in the back yard smoking cigars with the heavy drinkers while Tom would be inside telling his New-Age pals the harrowing tale
of how he survived the tequila hangover with the help of a week in a secret Swiss clinic where he had his body's entire blood supply exchanged
for that of teenage vegan triathletes.

And, of course, he now feels FANTASTIC and reports his erections are better than ever.

I have to say Hawg, you should consider a career in media/communications like your brother if you are not working in it already. This post perfectly sums up the Tampa season in a way that is pithy and just plain fun to read. You really should not waste your talents on hacks like us but I do enjoy reading them and hope you never leave us!

One observation. I think for the last 20 years perhaps we missed the transformations that were happening right before us with Brady. Troy Brown had been cut a bunch of times prior to playing with Brady and then he became our most sure-handed, clutch receiver of all time. Welker was traded away by our division rival to us and he leads the league in receptions for 6 straight seasons. Even Randy Moss as great as he was, had his best season with Brady setting the TD catch record. I could list about a dozen more including how the Oline transformed under Brady compared to Bledsoe but you get the picture. And then you look at the defense - no one believed that 2001 defense was elite. It had a ton of talent just like Tampa did this year but it often underperformed. Brady steps on the field and that entire unit gels and starts playing lock down, smash mouth ball without the penalties and puts on a jaw dropping performance vs the greatest show on turf like Tampa just did to Mahomes and company. These are not coincidences or just luck but a complete buy in by the whole team. That is the Brady effect. I just don't think we saw it as clearly as we do now after his SB victory in Tampa when it pretty much hit us over the head.

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm happy enough to be able to say whatever I want whenever I want and here is where I choose to do it.

People who haven't been around here for that long might assume that I have always unfairly hated Brady due to jealousy or some other reason, but that would not be correct.

I went to training camp in his rookie season and watched him do the same goal-line drills as Bledsoe at least as well as the star and that caught my attention. How come you
couldn't tell which one was the decorated veteran and which was the lowly rookie with no chance of making the roster? Over the next year plus, there were other impressive things
that I read about while at the same time I noticed that Bledsoe's game was deteriorating and he'd steadily become more predictable and easier to defend.

You mentioned my Brother and he will sometimes mention that I was the first guy he knew that wanted Brady to get his shot and that was before Bledsoe got hurt. People forget how bad Drew
was in the games leading up to that Jets game. We were barely able to get a 1st down and Bledsoe kept trying to gun the ball into tiny windows and the whole league had
caught onto him and it wasn't working. Bledsoe was stuck in his ways and couldn't find a way out. The second Brady got his chance we started making methodical drives and moving the sticks and I was thrilled with his ability to spread the ball around and manage the clock. It was like night and day. I felt bad that the injury was the catalyst, but am convinced that
Bill would've pulled the plug before long and benched Drew. Sad to say, he deserved to be benched and I was pleased that Belichick had the stones to leave him there when
he was ready to play.

I got in trouble for that opinion, too.

I do, but it probably wouldn't have worked out for Tom and I in terms of hanging out and becoming cousins.

I'd be out in the back yard smoking cigars with the heavy drinkers while Tom would be inside telling his New-Age pals the harrowing tale
of how he survived the tequila hangover with the help of a week in a secret Swiss clinic where he had his body's entire blood supply exchanged
for that of teenage vegan triathletes.

And, of course, he now feels FANTASTIC and reports his erections are better than ever.
You must have forgot about TB12's and Welker's double date to the hair transplant "restoration" event...that was actually a thing. :coffee:

Didn't Eli have a couple of big ones or am I misremembering?

Yes, Mid, I now long for the days when I was still a cotton-top driving my Dodge Dart well under the speed limit.

I'd love northing more than to engage you in a high-level insult festival, but there is a Matlock marathon on today and I have to call my niece
to help me figure out this dadgum clicker thing before I miss it.

Didn't Eli have a couple of big ones or am I misremembering?

I picked a set of 5 QBs who are (a) well-known, and (b) whose post-season heroics, cumulatively, don't quite rise to the Brady level.

And all of the five I chose have 20 or more post-season starts. Eli wasn't able to lead his team into the playoffs very often: 6 seasons where his team made the playoffs, 10 seasons where they didn't.

Last edited:
I picked a set of 5 QBs who are (a) well-known, and (b) whose post-season heroics, cumulatively, don't quite rise to the Brady level.

And all of the five I chose have 20 or more post-season starts. Eli wasn't able to lead his team into the playoffs very often: 6 seasons where his team made the playoffs, 10 seasons where they didn't.
Yes, but Midgar doesn't appreciate your stats.

The point your made is 100% valid and the players you used VALIDATE it. Had you compared TFB to basketball players I would have reacted as "others" did.

Back