The Hiking Thread

A couple of hiking buddies and I did the King Ravine Trail on Mt. Adams on Saturday (June 20). We drove up to Conway on Friday night, stayed at the White Mountains Hostel, and then started our hike from Appalachia at 7:40 am on Saturday. We did the 9 mile round trip in about 7.5 hours - we were down at 3:20. We spent about 30 minutes on top eating lunch and enjoying the glorious weather.

If you'd like to know more about the King Ravine Trail, here are a couple of paragraphs about it.

I have a couple of dozen pictures I could upload, but that feature of the board appears to be broken. Too bad - a couple of them are really nice.

Sounds like a great hike, TR! My son and I hiked up Mt. Ascutney in VT on Sunday. Beautiful hike.

I have a couple of dozen pictures I could upload, but that feature of the board appears to be broken. Too bad - a couple of them are really nice.
You can upload photos, you just have to put them on a photo sharing site first.
I like photobucket.com

Photobucket is free and you can copy the link into this page easily.

if you want email them to me and I will post for you, (send pm for Email)

One thing I miss the most these past few years is hiking so i'm going to live vicariously through you guys. Have fun!

~Dee~

Sounds like a great hike, TR! My son and I hiked up Mt. Ascutney in VT on Sunday. Beautiful hike.

Have you ever do the Notch? As in Franconia nice hike.

~Dee~

I've uploaded a slideshow of the Mt. Adams hike.

It's my first try at this, so let me know if it doesn't work for you. If you're asked for a password, enter "hiking".

Have you ever do the Notch? As in Franconia nice hike.

~Dee~

Yes I have, Dee! Beautiful place! Sorry to hear you aren't able to hike, will try to add to this thread when possible.

I've uploaded a slideshow of the Mt. Adams hike.

It's my first try at this, so let me know if it doesn't work for you. If you're asked for a password, enter "hiking".

Works just fine, TR! (was indeed asked for password)
Nice photos and is a hike I'm putting on my list!

My goal is to get my ass in shape so I can do the Moat Mountain Ridge.

I think I'll take a crack at North Moat this summer.

Be sure to celebrate your accomplishment here afterward!

moatmtn.png

Climbed Mount Si today - it's a 4100` ascent just east of Seattle. Four miles from the trailhead to the summit, so an 8 mile round trip. Took us about 5 hours.

Gorgeous day for a hike - temps in the low 50's, mostly cloudy but no mist or rain, and the sun broke through just when we go to the top.

It's a holiday, therefore there were lots of people on the trail. We didn't have a camera with us, so no pictures, but here's one from the web.

6c0d6017f18030a6a18b05f7be4250e4.jpg

Although there are sometimes rocks and roots that need to be dodged or otherwise accounted for, in general the trails are a lot easier on the feet than the trails in New Hampshire's White Mountains.

Here's a shot from the Grinnell Glacier Trail in Glacier NP, we hiked it last September. Probably the most scenic hike I have ever done. 12 miles round trip, but so, so, worth it!

God bless America.

Cheers

very cool vid of a father/son AT thru-hike

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p4TWPbBlf70?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did some hiking today in South Australia - Mt Crawford.

The mountains around here are modest - Mt. Crawford is 526m. We were on the Hensey Trail - which is a 1200 km long trail that traverses a part of South Australia from south to north (or vice versa). We did a 7 km section of it.

From the summit the views aren't good, but the trail does offer a section with good views of the Barossa Valley, one of Australia's premier wine regions.

Mt-Crawford Heysen Trail.jpg

Last edited:
Back