"The IG IG/Jerry Thornton Thread"

He has studied up on X's and O's so he could touch all the bases, and I think he's become quite good at it, but it's
not his strong suit. I told him that his most unique trait is his humor and ability to come up with killer one-liners, but he follows
his own path and that has served him well.

And, yes, I've heard the moth joke. I might mention that to Jerry who is a huge fan of Norm and he'd get the reference.
As feedback, he comes off now precisely as someone who has studied up on their Xs and Os and is very proud of that. I think it can serve him in very good stead if he can internalize all of that stuff to the point where he can lean on it without obviously doing so - get the key insight in there in simple language that feeds his broader points, his tone, and his humor.

But yes, humor is his differentiator. BSG's was humor and homerism. TMQ's was humor, autotext, and analytics before it was a thing. Developing is awesome, but equally important is not losing track of who you are.

As feedback, he comes off now precisely as someone who has studied up on their Xs and Os and is very proud of that. I think it can serve him in very good stead if he can internalize all of that stuff to the point where he can lean on it without obviously doing so - get the key insight in there in simple language that feeds his broader points, his tone, and his humor.

But yes, humor is his differentiator. BSG's was humor and homerism. TMQ's was humor, autotext, and analytics before it was a thing. Developing is awesome, but equally important is not losing track of who you are.

Yeah, I get it and I'm not going to go into a defensive posture or anything because people politely critiqued him. I used to give him a lot of feedback and hopefully constructive criticism, but he outkicked my coverage and I seldom do that anymore. I praise his best stuff and let him know I follow him, but our relationship is outside of all that. He's built nothing into a successful career doing it his way and literally everywhere he goes (including Costa Rica) people recognize him and approach him like he's their long-lost pal. It can be quite amazing and he'll make time for all of them.

I was at a local bar recently and gave the Bar-T my card to pay. He swipes it and then shoots me a look, which I noted. Turns out he saw my name and figured out I had to be Jerry's brother. He says: "you look just like him" and I said, "a little better, maybe". He has a legion of loyal fanboys and girls out there. I couldn't get away from the guy. They can get the nuts and bolts from
Evan Lazar or Curran, but neither can really make them laugh or give them a pop culture reference they can remember and quote and that's why those folks are loyal.

Jerry must have been working with the Pats game plan this week.

Back