The Insurrection Schadenfraude Thread

deec77

Reaction score
Psychology researchers have found three driving forces for schadenfraude: aggression, rivalry, and social justice.

I thought it would be nice to indulge in the social justice version of schadenfreude, and one way to do that is to have a thread where we chronicle the fates of those who stormed the Capitol on January 6th, 2021.

I will need some help with this thread. As there will be both legal and social outcomes for many of those involved, there will be too much for one person to track.

If you're so inclined, and you see an insurrectionist suffer some consequence of his/her actions on that fateful day, please post it here.

I think you got the answer already just saying via those responding lol. Also thanks for sharing the study.

• Few words convey as much meaning as Schadenfreude, or the joy that arises from seeing harm come to others.
  • Schadenfreude is a complex psychological phenomenon, and researchers have only begun to look into rigorously.
  • Psychology can tell us why we feel schadenfreude, when we feel it, and who feels it the most.

This study explains Schadenfreude in politics

Schadenfreude and the spread of political misfortune​

n a study published in PLoS One, Laura C. Crysel and Gregory D. Webster found that schadenfreude may play a role in politics and why people disseminate damaging news about political failures. In other words, happiness derived from a politician’s misfortune may predict whether people share this misfortune with others using social media

Because of its polarized two-party system, schadenfreude may be especially relevant to U.S. politics. For example, negative events for an opposing political party’s candidate led to increased schadenfreude for the other group [4]. Schadenfreude occurred even when negative events for the opposing party affected innocent people. Negative events such as a stagnant economy and troop casualties produced relatively higher schadenfreude when it would also be politically damaging for the other party. The current research investigates people’s willingness to spread news of such negative events to others.
It’s very interesting question but a very predictable answer....

~Dee~

OP
TipRoast

TipRoast

Recall all the dreams that you once used to know
Reaction score
A maze of twisting little passages, all different
Following up on the psychological discussions that have surfaced in this thread, here's a paper and an interview with Gregory Paul.

First, the interview:

At the end of this piece, the discussion turns to the Schadenfreude aspect of religion - a key but seldom discussed idea that religion sells to its adherents.

This idea is that believers are saved and will live eternally in bliss, and non-believers are doomed to spend an eternity in torment. Organized religions are built upon this viewpoint: join us and do well, and you can take pleasure in the fact that non-believers will be punished for not engaging in our group-think. And even if you're not doing well in this world, and your "enemies" are succeeding, it doesn't matter, because in the next world you'll be on top and they'll be on the bottom.

Here's a related paper that Paul wrote in which he researched the quality of life in a number of first world nations, as measured on 25 different scales. He then correlated that with the amount of religiosity in each nation.

(Although it doesn't look like it, that link should take you directly to the paper.)

It's a long paper, so if you're not interested enough to wade through it, here's my one sentence summary.

The countries with the highest standards of living and best experiences for their citizens are the countries with the lowest levels of religiosity.

Similar studies have been done on a finer scale and have looked at the same kinds of data on a state-by-state basis for the US. It's not surprising (to me) that the states with the lowest religiosity enjoy the highest standard of living.

The good news is that, despite appearances, our country as a whole is becoming less religious. The bad news is that religion won't give up its hold on the masses easily, and we'll all have to live through some tough times as the country becomes more civilized.

Beaglebay

Houndsight is 20/20
Reaction score
Website
www.tanjantstudios.com

So while I vehemently, disagree with the actions of those who stormed the Capital before we start accusing people of murder perhaps we should wait until we know the cause of death.

~Dee~
I'm not sure if the officer hit here with a fire extinguisher is Ofc Sicknick, but an officer was hit by one, and another was pushed over the wall as well.

View: https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/video-shows-rioter-throw-fire-extinguisher-at-police-during-capitol-attack/2021/01/14/1e75a543-7c61-43f2-a710-37edde925c0f_video.html

deec77

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the officer hit here with a fire extinguisher is Ofc Sicknick, but an officer was hit by one, and another was pushed over the wall as well.

View: https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/video-shows-rioter-throw-fire-extinguisher-at-police-during-capitol-attack/2021/01/14/1e75a543-7c61-43f2-a710-37edde925c0f_video.html
I’m sure the police have seen that video already but .....

In Sicknick's case, it's still not known publicly what caused him to collapse the night of the insurrection. Findings from a medical examiner's review have not yet been released and authorities have not made any announcements about that ongoing process.
Pelosi and Schumer say US Capitol Police officer killed during insurrection will lie in honor at Capitol

Pelosi and Schumer say US Capitol Police officer killed during insurrection will lie in honor at Capitol

According to one law enforcement official, medical examiners did not find signs that the officer sustained any blunt force trauma, so investigators believe that early reports that he was fatally struck by a fire extinguisher are not true.
One possibility being considered by investigators is that Sicknick became ill after interacting with a chemical irritant like pepper spray or bear spray that was deployed in the crowd. But investigators reviewing video of the officer's time around the Capitol haven't been able to confirm that in tape that has been recovered so far, the official said.
The case could also be complicated if Sicknick had a preexisting medical condition. It could not be learned if he did.

Don’t get me wrong he died in the line of duty but it may have been of “Natural“ causes. Either way he should be honored.

~Dee~

Inspector_50

Reaction score

Yeah I am not sure if that is the video. Some people were using this as that, but not sure. There were 140 officers hurt during the capital siege.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
1613944440614.png

Clinton commuted their sentences at the request of Jerry Nadler.

Who can tell us what Susan Rosenberg does these days?

Who amongst us supports her current organization?

Given what you have (likely) just learned, should you support said organization?

Last edited:

Inspector_50

Reaction score
View attachment 2129

Clinton commuted their sentences at the request of Jerry Nadler.

Who can tell us what Susan Rosenberg does these days?

Who amounts us supports her current organization?

Given what you have (likely) just learned, should you support said organization?
Susan placed a bomb? You sure about that? Actually she was given a sentence way longer than what she would have got, she served 16 years of what would have been a 5 year sentence for her role, but hey lets forget all that...Well I guess since this happened, all is forgiven for the idiot right wing conspiracy morons who stormed the capital. Lets just forget it happened and move on....yipee! We need to heal now... :LOL:

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
Susan placed a bomb? You sure about that? Actually she was given a sentence way longer than what she would have got, she served 16 years of what would have been a 5 year sentence for her role, but hey lets forget all that...Well I guess since this happened, all is forgiven for the idiot right wing conspiracy morons who stormed the capital. Lets just forget it happened and move on....yipee! We need to heal now... :LOL:
"Susan"? You two are buds? Only a sheep would downplay what she did and believe what they (the sheep) were doing wasn't insane.

From Wiki:

Susan Lisa Rosenberg (born October 5, 1955)[1] is an American activist, writer, advocate for social justice and prisoners' rights. From the late 1970s into the mid-1980s, Rosenberg was active in the far-left revolutionary terrorist May 19th Communist Organization ("M19CO") which, according to a contemporaneous FBI report, "openly advocate[d] the overthrow of the U.S. Government through armed struggle and the use of violence".[2] M19CO provided support to an offshoot of the Black Liberation Army, including in armored truck robberies, and later engaged in bombings of government buildings.[3]

After living as a fugitive for two years, Rosenberg was arrested in 1984 while in possession of a large cache of explosives and firearms over 750 lbs and automatic weapons. She had also been sought as an accomplice in the 1979 prison escape of Assata Shakur and in the 1981 Brink's robbery that resulted in the deaths of two police officers and a guard,[4] although she was never charged in either case.

Rosenberg was sentenced to 58 years' imprisonment on the weapons and explosives charges

rivshark86

Reaction score
Can we stop calling this an insurrection? I know you leftists love getting a jump on controlling speech, but most insurrections use guns. The only shots fired here were towards the crowd from capitol police.
I thought all these right organized right wing militias are armed to the teeth right? They bring guns to most other protests why not this one right? Especially if your planning an “insurrection”.

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
Can we stop calling this an insurrection? I know you leftists love getting a jump on controlling speech, but most insurrections use guns. The only shots fired here were towards the crowd from capitol police.
I thought all these right organized right wing militias are armed to the teeth right? They bring guns to most other protests why not this one right? Especially if your planning an “insurrection”.

I pointed this out when it happened.

For a so called planned insurrection, they had a shocking lack of anything remotely resembling an arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IU_Knightmare

Reaction score
I pointed this out when it happened.

For a so called planned insurrection, they had a shocking lack of anything remotely resembling an arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey now, they used a stack formation and had all the best tac gear you could find on Amazon.com... :coffee:

johnlocke

Reaction score

Garland Prioritizes Jan. 6 Probe on First Day as Attorney General​

Former judge attends closed-door briefing on pro-Trump riot at Capitol after greeting Justice Department staff​

im-310483

Attorney General Merrick Garland speaking at the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., on Thursday.​

PHOTO: KEVIN DIETSCH/BLOOMBERG NEWS
By
Sadie Gurman
Updated March 11, 2021 4:50 pm ET

WASHINGTON—Attorney General Merrick Garland moved shortly after his swearing-in Thursday to summon the FBI director and national security officials to brief him on the extensive investigation into the Jan. 6 pro-Trump riot at the U.S. Capitol, which he has called his top priority.

Mr. Garland gave up his seat on the nation’s second-most powerful court, the District of Columbia Circuit, to return to the Justice Department, where he worked in the 1990s as a top prosecutor and senior official overseeing investigations into domestic extremist threats. His work included leading the department’s prosecution of Timothy McVeigh, who was executed for bombing the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City.
He has described that period, and that pursuit, as a core element of his legal career and one he is set to again embrace.
“I have to tell you that when I walked in the door of Main Justice this morning, it really did feel like I was coming home,” Mr. Garland said in his first address to the workforce.

Mr. Garland is the first former judge to become attorney general since Michael Mukasey, who served under President George W. Bush. Department veterans say his task will be to establish public confidence in the independence of the institution rocked by political storms. He inherits a workforce demoralized by what many staff members viewed as former President Donald Trump’s frequent attempts to interfere in their traditionally independent affairs, current and former officials say.
Those officials said the urgency is even greater since the Capitol attack, which put a spotlight on the federal government’s struggle against domestic terrorism. The Justice Department is also pursuing a number of other sensitive investigations that could pose tests to what Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) on Wednesday said was Mr. Garland’s “long reputation as a straight-shooter,” including a continuing criminal tax probe of Hunter Biden, President Biden’s son.\

“All of us are united by our commitment to the rule of law and to seeking equal justice under law,” he told the department’s roughly 115,000 employees, only about 30 of whom were gathered to listen in person in the building’s Great Hall.
“The only way we can succeed and retain the trust of the American people is to adhere to the norms that have become part of the DNA of every Justice Department employee,” he said.

Some Republican senators have expressed concerns that Mr. Garland would pursue policies they see as undermining law enforcement, with Tom Cotton of Arkansas faulting him in a tweet Wednesday for not saying “if he thinks illegal immigration should be a crime.”

Video Analysis: How a Pro-Trump Mob Overran Capitol Police

Video Analysis: How a Pro-Trump Mob Overran Capitol Police

The Wall Street Journal analyzed hours of video and audio from the Capitol riot to better understand how a mob of thousands overran police and attacked the U.S. Capitol. Photo illustration: Laura Kammermann

Less than an hour after his short speech Thursday, Mr. Garland went behind closed doors with Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Christopher Wray and other national security officials for a briefing on the riot investigation.

He was expected later on Thursday to visit the U.S. attorney’s office for the District of Columbia to praise prosecutors for their work on the probe being led by that office. More than 300 people have been charged with federal crimes ranging from trespassing to assault and conspiracy in connection with the Jan. 6 attack by supporters of Mr. Trump who sought to prevent Congress from certifying Mr. Biden’s election victory.
Mr. Garland is known as a quiet leader who immerses himself in the details and isn’t quick to express his opinion or wade into politics. He has surrounded himself with a mix of former law clerks, Senate aides and officials with long experience in government service.

“His stature and reputation, which are so strong and deservedly so, should enable people to have the confidence that his decisions are going to be based on all the proper considerations and will be made with total integrity,” said Peter Keisler, who served as acting attorney general under Mr. Bush. “He is as well positioned as anyone could be to make the right decisions fairly and to do so in a way that people can trust.”

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
For someone who always mocks the left for their "fake news", I'm LFAO at you posting something this moron says as though what he says matters or is factual. Those that have remained in custody are there because they're the most dangerous, given their posts on sites like Parler implicating their intentions in advance of 1/6/2021 and the conspiratorial nature of what they participated in. The mere fact that the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers had an arsenal offsite laying in wait is reason enough.

Most have been released.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
For someone who always mocks the left for their "fake news", I'm LFAO at you posting something this moron says as though what he says matters or is factual. Those that have remained in custody are there because they're the most dangerous, given their posts on sites like Parler implicating their intentions in advance of 1/6/2021 and the conspiratorial nature of what they participated in. The mere fact that the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers had an arsenal offsite laying in wait is reason enough.

Most have been released.
Please show any factual errors in his statement.

If you can not/do not I will take that as a retraction of your above post.

Thank you. Have nice day.