The Jazz Appreciation Thread

Let's say an old hard rocker like myself is just starting to get into Jazz, what are the top 5 albums you would recommend? I do have the Kind of Blue vinyl which is probably an obvious one and I absolutely love it.

Let's say an old hard rocker like myself is just starting to get into Jazz, what are the top 5 albums you would recommend? I do have the Kind of Blue vinyl which is probably an obvious one and I absolutely love it.
See post #48 in this thread for an album that I recommend. If the song in that post appeals to you, you'll probably like the whole album.

I am a fan of the kind of jazz that was produced in the 1970s and after (it followed the Miles Davis / John Coltrane / Thelonious Monk era). Probably the most well-known artists from that time are Grover Washington Jr., Herbie Hancock, The Crusaders, Tom Scott & The LA Express, and a few others. Chuck Mangione, too, but his music was a little more mainstream, I think.

If you want to check out music from that period, see the link in post #101. I think the first song, Always There by Ronnie Laws, will appeal to an old hard rocker. :cool:

Let me know if you listened to any of the above, and whether or not you liked it.

Last edited:
See post #48 in this thread for an album that I recommend. If the song in that post appeals to you, you'll probably like the whole album.

I am a fan of the kind of jazz that was produced in the 1970s and after (it followed the Miles Davis / John Coltrane / Thelonious Monk era). Probably the most well-known artists from that time are Grover Washington Jr., Herbie Hancock, The Crusaders, Tom Scott & The LA Express, and a few others. Chuck Mangione, too, but his music was a little more mainstream, I think.

If you want to check out music from that period, see the link in post #101. I think the first song, Always There by Ronnie Laws, will appeal to an old hard rocker. :cool:

Let me know if you listened to any of the above, and whether or not you liked it.
Thank you I will check those out for sure

Song: At The Woodchoppers Ball
Artist: Orchestra di Paolo Tomelleri

A very fine rendition of the Woody Herman classic, with modern audio recording techniques.

Song: Weird Song #1
Artist: Chase

Bill Chase's second band was more jazz-oriented than his first. It's a shame four members of the band, including Bill, were killed in a plane crash. I would have loved to hear more songs like this one.

Last edited:
Song: Javanaise
Artist: Claude Bolling and Jean-Pierre Rampal

Another fine cut from the "Suite For Flute And Jazz Piano" album.

As always, Tip, Good work.

Back