The Kentucky Derby

My mothers father used to raise show horses and yeah we took a liking to Horse racing. We always used to sit around the TV and watch many great races from Secretariat to Seattle Slew. I’ve seen a lot of great races in my 55 years of existence, but this may be the greatest race I’ve ever seen. Absolutely incredible

Last edited:
He had 6 mounts on a rando track in Cincinnati the night before. Great story all around.

He had 6 mounts on a rando track in Cincinnati the night before. Great story all around.
Your right it was... although hubby’s horse was in the lead lol but we were both amazed.

~Dee~

It was fantastiic! He is a very talented jockey maneuvering in and out as he did. Not sure why the other jockeys left the inside lane open. But what a finish.

~Dee~

Leon made a brilliant move at the 3/4 mark to move out 1 position to avoid the crowd at the rail. Once past them he immediately moved back to the rail.
Very Nice, But Mother de Jesus was he ever gifted the most wide open, undefended rail I've ever seen.

Cheers

It's not unusual for horses to spread out for elbow room on the stretch run but credit Sunny Leon for realizing he had that clear path along the rail if he could move outside to pass those 3 horses at the 3/4 mark.

Jockeys have a rough life until they win a big one. His career trajectory just shot straight up.

Imagine Rich Strike was claimed for $30,000 in September from Calumet Farms, a once proud and successful thoroughbred racing farm.

Last edited:
On a personal note, during my soph year in vet school Claiborne Farms' Bold Ruler had cobalt radiation treatment for malignant cancer at Auburn.
Auburn had the only radiation facility large enough to treat a horse at the time. He was lowered 30 feet under ground to receive the radiation treatments.
Those treatments kept him alive for over a year and Secretariat was conceived and born during those treatments.
He was 16 years old when this picture was taken. He died of metastatic esophageal cancer 15 months later.
Memories.

default.jpg

On a personal note, during my soph year in vet school Claiborne Farms' Bold Ruler had cobalt radiation treatment for malignant cancer at Auburn.
Auburn had the only radiation facility large enough to treat a horse at the time. He was lowered 30 feet under ground to receive the radiation treatments.
Those treatments kept him alive for over a year and Secretariat was conceived and born during those treatments.
He was 16 years old when this picture was taken. He died of metastatic esophageal cancer 15 months later.
Memories.

default.jpg
So but for Radiation therapy, and the existence of just one machine on earth big enough to treat a horse, Secretariat, the greatest horse that ever there was and perhaps ever to be, exists only (perhaps) in the minds of the most imaginative.

cheers

Last edited:
Memories.

default.jpg
Wow!!! 💖💔💪⛅

I recently found out that a kid I know socially from Upstate New York, and have schooled him about Patriots vs. Bills football a couple of times, was the jockey
for Barber Road. His name is Rey Gutierrez and he is one likeable dude, so I was watching him and Barber Road the whole race (finished 6th).

I didn't even notice the race that Rich Strike ran until I watched the aerial view here, so thanks for posting. It was a stunning display of late speed.

Amazing steal of a race and a great story. In NFL terms, Rich Strike found another gear.

Really haven't watched it, so jut retelling what I think I did Read.
TFB commissioned to do a vid (2) in remembrance of Secretariat's 50th anniversary. Apparently secretariat fans (and who isn't one) seemed to interpret it as TFB comparing Secretariat (favorably I hope) to himself. Unhappy Secretariat fans. :rofl:

Cheers

where did mahomes' wife place? :coffee:

She wasn't avaible to race unfortunately. Can't race when you're chained up alone in a basement for the general public welfare and common good.

Just something I heard somewhere.

:wtf:

Back