The media and old quotes

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
This morning I put an old Ron Borges quote about the Patriots in the Saints thread, to illustrate how negative the media has always been. It was fun reading it again. So as to not derail that thread, here are some more... Feel free to add to them.

"Belichick will not be so lucky. He doesn't have (Jimmy) Johnson's personality, which can be as jovial and charming as a snake oil salesman's. Worse, this Patriot team isn't going to win two Super Bowls any time soon..."
- Ron Borges, Boston Globe, 11/22/01

"On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon." - Ron Borges, MSNBC after 2001 Draft.

"They traded for Bledsoe, spent about $22 million of their cap dollars on defense, and got Lawyer Milloy as the cherry on top with about $3 million top spare. That's why I've always felt Donahoe is the best at what he does in the league." - Nick Cafardo, Boston Globe

"...an arrogant oaf..." - Kevin Mannix on Bill Belichick after

"Bill Belichick is pond scum again. Arrogant, megalomaniacal, duplicitous pond scum." - Kevin Mannix, Boston Herald, 9/07/03

"Could it be that future generations of Patriots fans will be telling their grandchildren about their team winning their lone Super Bowl back in 2001, only to banish their best player to a divisional rival less than two years later, thus initiating Milloy's Curse?" - George Kimball, Boston Herald, 9/11/03

"I don't think I've ever seen a team do so much to help a competing team within the division get so good so fast." - Nick Cafardo on Bledsoe and Milloy to the Bills

"A dud...absurd...in the bottom 20% of the league." - Eddie Andelman on the Pat 2003 draft

Ron Borges, Kevix Mannix, Dan Shaughnessy -- three of the BEST examples of The Boston Sports Journalistic Ethos vis a vis their "coverage" of Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick over the past 21 years

Writing (a column) requires, in addition to knowledge of the subject matter, the ability to project a personality that engages with an audience and establishes rapport with it.

WHY? To SELL the faahkin' "Newspaper"

If you "love or hate" what they "write" -- you "buy" the paper just to SEE what they have to "say" TODAY --- doesn't matter to THEM they are full of shit

After reading The Education of a Coach By David Halberstam, I never have forgotten a very simple passage from the book which explains to me (anyways) why BB treats The Press the way he does

[...]
Bill Belichick was born in Nashville in 1952 when his dad, Steve Belichick, was in the middle of being fired as an assistant coach at Vanderbilt. Already considered an exceptional coach -- tough , smart, way ahead of the curve -- an absolute brilliant scout, --

Steve Belichick had been fired, all of the members of the Belichick family later believed, because they and the coaching team they were part of had been not quite social enough for the genteel world of Vanderbilt football, even though the team he was a part of had done reasonably well there had been a deftly organized campaign against them by one of Nashville’s more influential (and social) sportswriters.

Thus Bill Belichick had entered the world rather typically as the son of a (football coach) lifer (when he was a toddler)
It was a difficult moment. On Steve's tiny salary they had not been able to save any money and they were hunkered down in a house they would soon have to vacate [...]

If I were BB, such a willfully capricious vindictive act of a sportswriter commenting not on job performance (but on personality) causing a loss of livlihood of my father and such a disruption to my family would have been etched in my psyche forever

And now that newspapers are dead, this ethos survives in talk radio.

A medium that must generate outrage every day to remain relevant.

If TB12 had remained and BB retired you can rest assured that the very same individuals criticizing Bill would be whipping up on Tommy because you have to attack he who remains.

And now that newspapers are dead, this ethos survives in talk radio.

A medium that must generate outrage every day to remain relevant.

If TB12 had remained and BB retired you can rest assured that the very same individuals criticizing Bill would be whipping up on Tommy because you have to attack he who remains.
Eat what's put in front of you - Mom

Back