The New Look 2023 Patriots®

spacecrime

Reaction score
Well, it wasn't 1990 but it was still a season to dis-remember.

That said, I expect 2023, with nice mid-round draft picks and plenty of FA $$$, I expect changes in 2023 on a level to make the 2000-to-2001 offseason look like same old, same old.

New coordinators (Can Joe Judge go back to STs please)
More assistant/position coaches
New OTs (and an OG)
New TE to pair with Hunter Henry
P & PK
If not Jakobi Meyers, then WHO?
A pair of DTs who can tackle like the Jag's DTs handled Derrick Henry
Did I mention an ST coach who understands the concept of lane discipline?????

What have I left out?

*would be nice to focus on the future and not constant "Belichick sucks and here's all the things that didn't work out in the past."

You know, think "We're on to 2023.

Well, it wasn't 1990 but it was still a season to dis-remember.

That said, I expect 2023, with nice mid-round draft picks and plenty of FA $$$, I expect changes in 2023 on a level to make the 2000-to-2001 offseason look like same old, same old.

New coordinators (Can Joe Judge go back to STs please)
More assistant/position coaches
New OTs (and an OG)
New TE to pair with Hunter Henry
P & PK
If not Jakobi Meyers, then WHO?
A pair of DTs who can tackle like the Jag's DTs handled Derrick Henry
Did I mention an ST coach who understands the concept of lane discipline?????

What have I left out?

*would be nice to focus on the future and not constant "Belichick sucks and here's all the things that didn't work out in the past."

You know, think "We're on to 2023.
Do you mean a backup guard? Because I think Strange and Onwenu are going to be great for years to come. I wouldn't mind trying to steal a developmental type Center in later rounds.

Need 2 starting OTs. Whether in FA or if you can somehow get a cant-miss in the first round. Needs to be guys that excel in pass protection.
Definitely need a punter and a kicker, no question, that absolutely killed the Patriots this year.
I like the idea of a developmental TE, an athletic guy in the later rounds.
I think you re-sign Meyers but I think you cap it at 4/50. I wouldn't give him a penny more than that, The FA class for WRs is pretty garbage (led by Allan Lazard ffs), so swinging a trade for a guy would have to be the alternative.
I like how Tavai played this year, but I'd like to see an upgrade at the position. FA LB class looks pretty decent.
I want a veteran space-eater D-tackle, preferably a good one.
You're going to need to either draft a safety, or spend good money on one. Without McCourty, they're still deep, but they're also aging. Dugger will be 27 next year. I hope and pray Peppers signs a team-friendly deal, although he might get big money out on the market, who knows.
It's a deep QB draft, if one of the more skilled guys drop to day 3, you have to take him.
I'd like to see a good CB drafted, and re-sign Jon Jones.
If a talented RB drops, might be worth a pick, because Harris is likely gone. Same with EDGE, I don't know if we can count on another huge year from Judon next year (31 next season). I'm willing to ride with Uche though, he showed a ton this year.

The glaring holes almost have to be veterans, and at the very least have to be ready to start day 1. Draft depth. I'm going to say right now that 2023's draft will be absolutely shat upon all next season, because they're not drafting starters, save for the first round (Unless a gift falls into their lap like a Barmore or Gronkoiwski).

Absolutely, positively, need 2 new starting tackles. To me, anything short of that is malpractice. If you're rolling out McDermott and Cajuste next year, then I don't know what they're doing.

There's a 2-year window, but really one, because Stevenson's up after next year.

Do you mean a backup guard? Because I think Strange and Onwenu are going to be great for years to come. I wouldn't mind trying to steal a developmental type Center in later rounds.

Need 2 starting OTs. Whether in FA or if you can somehow get a cant-miss in the first round. Needs to be guys that excel in pass protection.
Definitely need a punter and a kicker, no question, that absolutely killed the Patriots this year.
I like the idea of a developmental TE, an athletic guy in the later rounds.
I think you re-sign Meyers but I think you cap it at 4/50. I wouldn't give him a penny more than that, The FA class for WRs is pretty garbage (led by Allan Lazard ffs), so swinging a trade for a guy would have to be the alternative.
I like how Tavai played this year, but I'd like to see an upgrade at the position. FA LB class looks pretty decent.
I want a veteran space-eater D-tackle, preferably a good one.
You're going to need to either draft a safety, or spend good money on one. Without McCourty, they're still deep, but they're also aging. Dugger will be 27 next year. I hope and pray Peppers signs a team-friendly deal, although he might get big money out on the market, who knows.
It's a deep QB draft, if one of the more skilled guys drop to day 3, you have to take him.
I'd like to see a good CB drafted, and re-sign Jon Jones.
If a talented RB drops, might be worth a pick, because Harris is likely gone. Same with EDGE, I don't know if we can count on another huge year from Judon next year (31 next season). I'm willing to ride with Uche though, he showed a ton this year.

The glaring holes almost have to be veterans, and at the very least have to be ready to start day 1. Draft depth. I'm going to say right now that 2023's draft will be absolutely shat upon all next season, because they're not drafting starters, save for the first round (Unless a gift falls into their lap like a Barmore or Gronkoiwski).

Absolutely, positively, need 2 new starting tackles. To me, anything short of that is malpractice. If you're rolling out McDermott and Cajuste next year, then I don't know what they're doing.

There's a 2-year window, but really one, because Stevenson's up after next year.
You want 10 solid players, or more, not so easy.

You want 10 solid players, or more, not so easy.
Well, I want 2 for sure (left and right tackle), 4 if you count punter and kicker. You've got the cap space and draft capital to make that happen. The rest would involve good drafting and smart spending, but I don't feel like it's an impossible ask. I think you need a speedy deep safety which they don't have, but other than that, you could really run it back with the same defense and be fine for next year - I was also including some building for the future in my list.

Well, I want 2 for sure (left and right tackle), 4 if you count punter and kicker. You've got the cap space and draft capital to make that happen. The rest would involve good drafting and smart spending, but I don't feel like it's an impossible ask. I think you need a speedy deep safety which they don't have, but other than that, you could really run it back with the same defense and be fine for next year - I was also including some building for the future in my list.

2 OTs are on my list as well.
  • 1 really good one for LOT through a high draft choice.
  • 1 healthy & serviceable one for ROT. I'd prefer an experienced plug and play veteran who has already learned proper technique.

Our OTs performed poorly this year.
Here's what we're dealing with in 1 easy graph that compares OT performances. To get a player's grade add the X and Y axis. OTs generally grade negative in this format; less neg is better.
Wynn and McDermott are bottom left which is bad. Both are UFAs. McDermott was signed just before Thanksgiving for the balance of the year as insurance. Wynn was paid $10M for 2022.
Trent Brown is top left which is better than Wynn but there's still lots of room for improvement. (Eluemunor performed better)
Cajuste didn't even make it on the graph.
Chasen Hines and Andrew Steuber are rookies and on IR. I have no idea what BB thinks of them.
Trent Brown and Mike McGlinchey performed similarly in '22.

FmHcpRkXgAIvCDB

Oh, I left out one glaring thing.

I'm sure Myles Bryant is a good guy and all, but a vast upgrade shouldn't be very difficult to come by.
I am wondering if Bryant might be a replacement for McCourty. After the cliff McCourty fell off in his second season, he became very good playing downhill. Might work for Bryant.

Oh, I left out one glaring thing.

I'm sure Myles Bryant is a good guy and all, but a vast upgrade shouldn't be very difficult to come by.

No, it shouldn't. Li'l Scrappy sure had a rough outing against the Bills. His name should be Myles Behind.

He's the guy that every Offense targets and it seems to be getting worse. When a guy goes in motion and Bryant follows him
across the formation QBs relax and don't really have to look anywhere else. He's just over-matched by NFL WRs as a Corner.

I'm sure he's a gym rat and good locker room guy, but I'd like to see him on the bench in '23. Somebody else's.

Which makes me wish Jack Jones wasn't a knucklehead who may already be one and done here. I suspected he was too good
to be true, but he does have trade value. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go for a top 75 pick.

No, it shouldn't. Li'l Scrappy sure had a rough outing against the Bills. His name should be Myles Behind.

He's the guy that every Offense targets and it seems to be getting worse. When a guy goes in motion and Bryant follows him
across the formation QBs relax and don't really have to look anywhere else. He's just over-matched by NFL WRs as a Corner.

I'm sure he's a gym rat and good locker room guy, but I'd like to see him on the bench in '23. Somebody else's.

Which makes me wish Jack Jones wasn't a knucklehead who may already be one and done here. I suspected he was too good
to be true, but he does have trade value. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go for a top 75 pick.

I'm told Jack Jones' suspension has been reversed.

I'm told Jack Jones' suspension has been reversed.

Really? Had not yet heard that. Somebody better tell Al Breer before he embarrasses himself again.

If he really is a punk, then I don't want him here, but Jones has the kind of skill that makes it hard to just let him
walk. Especially at such a valuable position. It was really something how he was ready to go week 1 and performed consistently well as opposed to the
JoeJuans where it's 3 years before you are sure that they will never improve even though you suspected it early on.

I'd like to see Bryant and Jalen Mills gone.

Really? Had not yet heard that. Somebody better tell Al Breer before he embarrasses himself again.

If he really is a punk, then I don't want him here, but Jones has the kind of skill that makes it hard to just let him
walk. Especially at such a valuable position. It was really something how he was ready to go week 1 and performed consistently well as opposed to the
JoeJuans where it's 3 years before you are sure that they will never improve even though you suspected it early on.

Yes. Jake Bailey's suspension was lifted, too. Both are back on regular old IR.
BB only wanted to send a message.

My dream scenario is BB moves Judge back to ST, Patricia becomes a front office consultant and helps EXCLUSIVELY with the D, Kingsbury becomes OC and Flores returns as DC.

Make it happen, Captain.

Also, does anyone know if Scar had any male children?

Last edited:
My dream scenario is BB moves Judge back to ST, Patricia becomes a front office consultant and helps EXCLUSIVELY with the D, Kingsbury becomes OC and Flores returns as DC.

Make it happen, Captain.

Also, does anyone know if Scar had any male children?
Sexiest

I would like to see Joe Brady as OC.

Joe Brady was good in LSU with Burrow, Chase and Justin Jefferson which got him hired as the Panthers' OC under Matt Rhule. After going 5-7 Rhule fired Brady.
He was picked up for '22 by the Bills as QB coach. Imo, Josh Allen has regressed this year.

Joe Brady was good in LSU with Burrow, Chase and Justin Jefferson which got him hired as the Panthers' OC under Matt Rhule. After going 5-7 Rhule fired Brady.
He was picked up for '22 by the Bills as QB coach. Imo, Josh Allen has regressed this year.
Allen did not regress. His stats this year are almost identical to last year and the Bills had the #1 seed within grasp until the unfortunate Hamlin heart attack.

2021: Completion percentage: 63.3. Yards 4407, TDs 36, INT 15
2022: Completion percentage: 63.3, Yards 4286, TDs 35, INT 14

Back