The New Look 2023 Patriots®

Hopkins' success was never built on speed but he's plenty fast enough. From the beginning he understood how to read a defense but he's way beyond that. He elevates any route he runs bc he understands how to shake the guy guarding him. I've always admired the way he is able to fake a defender into going one way or getting his defender off balance at the very last second as he gains an extra yard or 2 of separation to make they play. Defenders can't mirror receivers like Hopkins for an entire route. Think of a basketball game - 1 on 1 - because that's the beauty of his game. Some players know how to create space. Tiny Archibald could get by anyone. Kobe, Jordan. They had an innate ability to deceive a defender and win space to operate. Bird had it in spades. Maravich. These players weren't the fastest in the game but they understood the nuances of a subtle move. That is Hopkins. He was always great and he's still got it. To him, it's art.

Look how easy he makes this catch with a defender right on him with a last second move.
Then notice his confident body language after the catch that sends the defender a message. Yeah.

View: https://twitter.com/TheoAshNFL/status/1613026853798948869

More examples.

View: https://twitter.com/mikekadlick/status/1612949625358401536

Moss was smart and had the speed for a long game. Hopkins is smart and has the moves for an intermediate game. Different but still game changing.

Hopkins has the subtlety that Meyers has, with more physical tools. He's a touch faster, slightly worse short area quickness, about the same height (maybe a fraction of an inch shorter) but built stronger with long arms and huge hands. His advantage has never been about measurable, it's the subtle influencing of defenders, knowing the soft spots of a defense and the players' tendencies, and catching everything within a huge area.

His measurable are pretty shockingly bad, actually, apart from his physical build. The upshot of that is that when he loses a step, he doesn't lose his advantage.
Screenshot_20230113-135846.png

he'd immediately have the best hands on the team. that right there could be worth a couple wins just from passes bouncing off people into defenders' hands.

he'd immediately have the best hands on the team. that right there could be worth a couple wins just from passes bouncing off people into defenders' hands.
I have no idea if this is said about him or not, but the way the ball sticks in his hands I would guess he has the strongest hands in the entire league or close to it. The last player I remember having such a death grip like that is Larry Fitzgerald.

1. Would not bank our entire staff selection on DeAndre Hopkins. Both Hopkins and Watson look far worse without Bill OBrien coaching them
2. If we want to chase yet another WR despite an already overcrowded WR/TE group, instead of Watson would look into Brandin Cooks who already requested out of Houston and knows the NE system

I have no idea if this is said about him or not, but the way the ball sticks in his hands I would guess he has the strongest hands in the entire league or close to it. The last player I remember having such a death grip like that is Larry Fitzgerald.
Perhaps he bought the last of the Stick'em from Jack Tatum's estate?

Yes. Although this was pretty brutal.

1. Would not bank our entire staff selection on DeAndre Hopkins. Both Hopkins and Watson look far worse without Bill OBrien coaching them
2. If we want to chase yet another WR despite an already overcrowded WR/TE group, instead of Watson would look into Brandin Cooks who already requested out of Houston and knows the NE system

For some reason many Pats fans ragged on Cooks while he was a Patriot. I thought he was great for us. I'd be happy to have him again except for his $18M salary in '23. I'd rather have Hopkins for similar money.

For some reason many Pats fans ragged on Cooks while he was a Patriot. I thought he was great for us. I'd be happy to have him again except for his $18M salary in '23. I'd rather have Hopkins for similar money.

Not sure about the $18 million but count me in as one of the fools who would like to see him back.

1. Both Hopkins look far worse without Bill OBrien coaching them
The first year after BOB he was an All Pro and had one of his best seasons, considerably above his career averages in yardage and catch %, what are you talking about? He had hamstring and knee issues the season after that. I guess that must have been because BOB wasn't there to give him his daily rub downs.

The first year after BOB he was an All Pro and had one of his best seasons, considerably above his career averages in yardage and catch %, what are you talking about? He had hamstring and knee issues the season after that. I guess that must have been because BOB wasn't there to give him his daily rub downs.

Point is Hopkins is a 600yard receiver now so would factor in zero about offensive staff hires with respect to getting DeAndre Hopkins or not . No thanks to an old declining WR who isn’t good anymore. Hopkins is not a Moss situation. The WR to get if you can get his contract reworked much cheaper is Brandin Cooks

Point is Hopkins is a 600yard receiver now so would factor in zero about offensive staff hires with respect to getting DeAndre Hopkins or not . No thanks to an old declining WR who isn’t good anymore. Hopkins is not a Moss situation. The WR to get if you can get his contract reworked much cheaper is Brandin Cooks
I don't want either. If the Patriots a serious about getting a real undisputed weapon, then do it, trade whatever you have to and pay whatever you have to. O look at a guy like Higgins with the Bengals, they have to know they aren't going to be able to keep him and Chase long term so maybe they would be willing to deal. We've proven we can't find that guy in the draft so why not. He'll if he had just taken Pickens instead of reaching for Thornton, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Point is Hopkins is a 600yard receiver now so would factor in zero about offensive staff hires with respect to getting DeAndre Hopkins or not . No thanks to an old declining WR who isn’t good anymore. Hopkins is not a Moss situation.
I have no idea what you're saying in the first sentence, and have no idea why you're bring up Moss. And I never said I wanted him, I just think it's laughable that you credit BOB for his success. I'm starting to doubt you even watch football, you just makes judgements solely based on cherry picked stats.

Back