The NFL 2023 Draft

Here's a mock draft that makes a lot of sense.

Yes, that's a fun mock. But think it's preordained that the first pick will be a tackle. The need is there similar to last year.
I don't know much about QB Hooker but did hear that at some point this year his TD/ interception ratio was 59/3 which must put him in a rare category. I also wouldn't be surprised if a bigger QB was drafted.

Tee Higgins is a guy who should be outstanding for the next 4 or 5 years, but wouldn't we have to resign him to keep him
past this coming season? A big year in '23 would mean the biggest WR contract we've ever done, which is not unthinkable, but
would be somewhat surprising. The uncertainty of all that would make this trade a bold move for this organization and a big risk, but
there is a lot to like in the player. He's proven himself, but is still young and getting better, which is on the rare side.

Also, I don't think Dawand Jones is going to last to 56. I expect him to rise quite a bit over the coming months. A guy that big who moves that well isn't going
to make it out of the 1st round. I'm good with him to be our starting RT, assuming he passes character evaluations. He'd be an
emphatic answer to one of our bigger needs. Pairing Jones with Onwenu would be a major problem for opponents.

I'd be happy with Jake Moody as well.

That was an interesting mock.
There was talk on some show about Tee Higgins and if this would be a case of overpaying for someoene else WR2 to be your WR1. if I'm not mistaken Tee Higgins was there before the drafted Chase so maybe he was the "1" at some point.
they brought up Alvin Harper (think he went to Buc's?) and another name that I hadn't heard in years but was another wr2 that bombed as a wr1. at work but will try and google it later.

There was talk on some show about Tee Higgins and if this would be a case of overpaying for someoene else WR2 to be your WR1. if I'm not mistaken Tee Higgins was there before the drafted Chase so maybe he was the "1" at some point.
they brought up Alvin Harper (think he went to Buc's?) and another name that I hadn't heard in years but was another wr2 that bombed as a wr1. at work but will try and google it later.

Tee Higgins would be a WR1 on all but a handful of teams.

I see him projected from the late 2nd/early 3rd to early 5th rnd. I worry about a player who only started 30 of his 50 games played and a DE/Edge who only has 5 career sacks as a 5th year senior. 2nd team All Big 12 as a senior. Compare that to Barmore who made 1st team All American as a sophomore.

Yeah, he shouldn't have taken a media interview as an invitation to rip his team mates with his "holier than thou" attitude in public. Sarkisian wasn't happy.
He's not a pass rusher. He holds the edge, forces plays, forces an offense to adjust to him. He's not going to be your starter against some air raid offenses. Yes, I agree that I'd see him late day 2 or early day 3.

I'm not sure "Holier than thou" is the way I'd characterize that, but reasonable people can differ.

Tee Higgins would be a WR1 on all but a handful of teams.

I agree.

Jerry Jeudy has been mentioned and he'd help us, but I'd much prefer Higgins who is much bigger, tougher and more productive. He's got
speed and is probably one of the better contested catches guys in the game. There is nothing not to like except the money.

I suppose you have to factor in that Denver hasn't exactly had great QB play over Jeudy's 3 years as a pro, so maybe he's got
unrealized potential if we can get Mac squared away.

Here's a mock draft that makes a lot of sense.

I'd be floored if Porter was there at 28 OR Jones at 56, never mind both! Porter may be slipping a bit, but that's a lot. Jones seems to be rising fast, and I thought 3rd was a stretch for him anyway. I like it overall, it just seems wildly optimistic about who falls to us.

drafting jp jr would have the added bonus of making jp sr vomit having to root for the pats...😁
I remember a picture of Joe Klecko in the Patriots Pro Shop buying a Dan Klecko jersey in 2003. Evidently blood is thicker than rivalries. Of course Joe Klecko was a class act, joey Porter...not so much.

The NFL released the list of players invited to the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine on Wednesday. A total of 319 prospects have been invited to attend this year's event, which will take place in Indianapolis from February 28 through March 6.

Relevant for this thread a bit…
KC Chiefs just won the SB where their rookies did the following:
  • CB McDuffie on the field making crucial 3rd down tackles
  • MLB Chenal making key stops forcing the Eagles to punt
  • RB Pacheco starting at RB and providing essential energy and excellent runs all game
  • WR Sky Moore with the game winning TD reception

Can Higgins really be had for just moving back in the first? That seems like a no brainer.

In a world where Christian Kirk is getting what 20 million a year, it’s just a fact that you have to pay good WRs. A lot of times it takes even good WRs 3 years to learn how to be effective. By then you’ve wasted a lot of their rookie deal.
Higgens isn’t good enough to justify making him the new highest paid WR, but I’d be ok to over pay him a small amount to ensure he’s a Patriot for his prime NFL years.

The NFL released the list of players invited to the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine on Wednesday. A total of 319 prospects have been invited to attend this year's event, which will take place in Indianapolis from February 28 through March 6.

Can Higgins really be had for just moving back in the first? That seems like a no brainer.

In a world where Christian Kirk is getting what 20 million a year, it’s just a fact that you have to pay good WRs. A lot of times it takes even good WRs 3 years to learn how to be effective. By then you’ve wasted a lot of their rookie deal.
Higgens isn’t good enough to justify making him the new highest paid WR, but I’d be ok to over pay him a small amount to ensure he’s a Patriot for his prime NFL years.
My guess is that isn't nearly enough trade comp. You could use the Marquise Brown and AJ Brown trades from last year as landmarks. Both of them were 1st rounders and didn't need a new contract for an additional year because of the 5th year option, but both were roughly the same age last year as Higgins is this year (Higgins is the youngest of the 3).

Arizona got Marquis Brown and a 3rd for #23 overall.
Philly got AJ Brown for #18 and a late 3rd (#101)

I'd slot Higgins between the two, but much closer to AJ. Then factor in a discount for needing a new contract sooner, I guess. Either way, that works out to significantly more than a 1st round trade down.

My guess is that isn't nearly enough trade comp. You could use the Marquise Brown and AJ Brown trades from last year as landmarks. Both of them were 1st rounders and didn't need a new contract for an additional year because of the 5th year option, but both were roughly the same age last year as Higgins is this year (Higgins is the youngest of the 3).

Arizona got Marquis Brown and a 3rd for #23 overall.
Philly got AJ Brown for #18 and a late 3rd (#101)

I'd slot Higgins between the two, but much closer to AJ. Then factor in a discount for needing a new contract sooner, I guess. Either way, that works out to significantly more than a 1st round trade down.

Why would Cincy let Higgins go?

This all makes no sense. It’s bad hype from crappy Boston media, like when they were hyping up sh-tty Nick Caley and lost credibility as media idiots.

Cincy isn’t letting Higgins go

Last edited:
Why would Cincy let Higgins go?

This all makes no sense. It’s bad hype from crappy Boston media, like when they were hyping up sh-tty Nick Caley and lost credibility as media idiots.

Cindy isn’t letting Higgins go
Because they can't sign him with so many other massive signings over the next two years, and have an opportunity to get something back if they trade him. The front office indicated that they'll be taking calls for him: "not ruling out" trading him away, which is basically asking for offers.

That said, I kind of agree. It seems like the smart play would be to at least keep him until the deadline and decide then if you want to go all-in by keeping him and watching him walk away next March, or ensuring that you're getting more for him than a comp 3rd. The downside to that plan is that not many teams will be in a position to take on his salary mid-season, and fewer prospective buyers typically means less trade comp. In March teams can plan around him.

Because they can't sign him with so many other massive signings over the next two years, and have an opportunity to get something back if they trade him. The front office indicated that they'll be taking calls for him: "not ruling out" trading him away, which is basically asking for offers.

That said, I kind of agree. It seems like the smart play would be to at least keep him until the deadline and decide then if you want to go all-in by keeping him and watching him walk away next March, or ensuring that you're getting more for him than a comp 3rd. The downside to that plan is that not many teams will be in a position to take on his salary mid-season, and fewer prospective buyers typically means less trade comp. In March teams can plan around him.

$40M in cap seems like a lot until you consider 8 starters are FAs and after that you've got to extend Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase. Poof! Gone in an instant. I'm certain they'd love to keep all of them but the Bengals are in for some hard decisions. Higgins may be one of them plus he'd give a nice return in draft capital. I'd think about trading 14 for him bc he's a plug and play proven mismatch guy who will make all our WRs better instantly.

View: https://twitter.com/mikekadlick/status/1625978812696502276

The top 10 Pass catchers in the entire NFL based on ESPN analytics:

1: AJ Brown
2: Justin Jefferson
3: Tyler Lockett
4: Stefon Diggs
5: Diontae Johnson
6: George Kittle
T7: Brandon Aiyuk
T7: Tee Higgins
T7: Chris Olave
10: Tyreek Hill
10: Travis Kelce

I'm hearing some Deebo Samuel chatter, btw.

Last edited:
Back