The NFL 2023 Draft

I put him about at LaPorta's level, but a better blocker and less crisp and fluid a receiver. I was surprised to see these kinds of numbers from Schoonmaker, honestly - he doesn't feel like he's that athletic. I wonder if that athleticism starts to translate to the field as he gets more comfortable with everything he's doing. He definitely doesn't have LaPorta's hands.

Round 3-4, but early to mid round 2 in a normal TE year. This year, he's behind Mayer, Washington, Kincaid, & Musgrave at the very least.

As a Spartan/B1G fan and mighty hater of all things in A2 I have seen more of this guy than most. He is an effective blocker and a capable receiver. Barring something unforeseen I think he will have a decent pro career and maybe better than that.

As a Spartan/B1G fan and mighty hater of all things in A2 I have seen more of this guy than most. He is an effective blocker and a capable receiver. Barring something unforeseen I think he will have a decent pro career and maybe better than that.
I agree that his floor is pretty high.

I put him about at LaPorta's level, but a better blocker and less crisp and fluid a receiver. I was surprised to see these kinds of numbers from Schoonmaker, honestly - he doesn't feel like he's that athletic. I wonder if that athleticism starts to translate to the field as he gets more comfortable with everything he's doing. He definitely doesn't have LaPorta's hands.

Round 3-4, but early to mid round 2 in a normal TE year. This year, he's behind Mayer, Washington, Kincaid, & Musgrave at the very least.

Good to know. Yeah not a great sign when people who have seen him play says he plays slower than his measurables. Field speed and instincts are so much more valuable than an artificial environment around cones. Whether it be Jerry Rice, or even a recent guy like Orlando Brown (horrifically bad combine and RAS yet has made 4 pro bowls before age 27), game tape trumps all.

The question is where to take TE. I'd have a hard time justifying TE before OT or CB1. We're talking about starting-level needs at OT and CB1 whereas TE you can take a guy and develop them for a couple years. Hunter Henry is a d-mn good all around TE and Gesicke is a passing game weapon. But Mac is going to get wrecked without fixing both tackle spots. And we have no CB1 corner who can match up with Buffalo or Miami or even the Jets right now.

So, the Pats have done the #1 thing I wanted out of this FA period, which is to put themselves in a position where they aren't forced in a particular direction in the draft. If they needed to play next week, they have reasonable options at OT, WR, CB, S, and TE. In fact, there's a good argument that they are already better off at TE, WR, and possibly OT than after week 18.

I still think the best value and upside in round 1 is likely at OT or CB, but better than that is to trade down 5-10 spots and add another day 2 pick, then use your draft capital to trade up to hit your targets. The exceptions to that in my mind are if your clear top CB is there at 14 - probably Gonzalez or Witherspoon. Other than that I'd rather have Dawand Jones plus the draft capital vs any of the Big 3 OTs, for example. I'd love to end day 2 with OT, DB, TE, and either WR or doubled up on OT.

Just a thought. Most of us are fine with posters with a different take then our own. Most of us aren't fine with the poster whose every post conveys his own sense of total superiority and who mockingly sneers at anyone else's opinion. Even the opinions of Planet icons known for their knowledge, their thorough research, their prolific offerings of substantive content, their fairness, their kindness, their desire for open and civil debate and their love of football. Like maybe Chevss454., Thank god we would never allow that such a destructive voice to take over everywhere he chose to chime in. CoffeeGuy

Cheers

Just a thought. Most of us are fine with posters with a different take then our own. Most of us aren't fine with the poster whose every post conveys his own sense of total superiority and who mockingly sneers at anyone else's opinion. Even the opinions of Planet icons known for their knowledge, their thorough research, their prolific offerings of substantive content, their fairness, their kindness, their desire for open and civil debate and their love of football. Like maybe Chevss454., Thank god we would never allow that such a destructive voice to take over everywhere he chose to chime in. CoffeeGuy

Cheers
Very well said. As I would have expected from you, in particular.

Thank you.

there was a poster who lived to insult me and told me to put them on ignore instead of "engaging with them". so they could continue to be an asshole about me, but not deal with any consequences from me. 🙄 so i didn't do that, and i kept responding to their bullshit because they hated it...😄

Cheers
True. My own patience has been at a record low over the past few months for whatever reason.

Cheers
Get off of my lawn!!!! :coffee:

I don't mind viewpoints that are way different than mine, but, it's the Middy Method that grinds my gears...

I still think the best value and upside in round 1 is likely at OT or CB, but better than that is to trade down 5-10 spots and add another day 2 pick, then use your draft capital to trade up to hit your targets.
BB certainly does that often enough. I suspect he has 2 or 3 guys coming up that he really likes but likes equally well so he trades back. Then he waits until only one is left that he moves up.

I also think that unlike us, he isn't looking for the best OT available but the player who will most help the team, sort of like best player available, but not exactly.

BB certainly does that often enough. I suspect he has 2 or 3 guys coming up that he really likes but likes equally well so he trades back. Then he waits until only one is left that he moves up.

I also think that unlike us, he isn't looking for the best OT available but the player who will most help the team, sort of like best player available, but not exactly.
i.e. not best o.t. but maybe one who can play well enough rt and lt for versatility's sake.

Cheers
Without a difference of opinion there is no discussion, that's for sure. But what you're talking about goes beyond a difference of opinion and it disrupts discussion.

Beyond that, the incessant yammering makes some topics/player taboo because any mention of say, Brady, sets off some people who go into attack mode. Just look at Mazz's signature line to see the battle lines pre-defined. BB vs Belichick. No middle ground of a player/coach perfect storm. It was one of the other, and if you think BB is a good coach, then you are anti-Brady. So no one mentions arguably the greatest player in Pats history here in the forum. If you have sigs turned off, here is 1/3 of the Pats history for you as if there were no other players or staff on the team. Totally ridiculous as it implies Trent Dilfer > Dan Marino by dint of post-season stats, but here it is anyway.

Tom without Bill = 35-17 regular season (3 seasons), 2 divisional titles, 3 playoff appearances, 5-2 playoffs, 1 SB ring
Bill without Tom = 42-44 regular season (5+ seasons), 0 divisional titles, 1 playoff appearance, 0-1 playoffs, 0 rings

Tom Brady is the greatest football player in the 97-year history of the NFL. - Shannon Sharpe

So, the Pats have done the #1 thing I wanted out of this FA period, which is to put themselves in a position where they aren't forced in a particular direction in the draft. If they needed to play next week, they have reasonable options at OT, WR, CB, S, and TE. In fact, there's a good argument that they are already better off at TE, WR, and possibly OT than after week 18.

I still think the best value and upside in round 1 is likely at OT or CB, but better than that is to trade down 5-10 spots and add another day 2 pick, then use your draft capital to trade up to hit your targets. The exceptions to that in my mind are if your clear top CB is there at 14 - probably Gonzalez or Witherspoon. Other than that I'd rather have Dawand Jones plus the draft capital vs any of the Big 3 OTs, for example. I'd love to end day 2 with OT, DB, TE, and either WR or doubled up on OT.
I look at the FA signings as clues to what they want to add their roster.

RB Robinson doesn't look like the best option (injury history) at the James White role and therefore expect that type of player to be picked up in the draft. I know Strong is available.

None of our TEs can block, therefore expect a blocking TE in the draft.
The OTs, they picked up a younger pass blocking type and think they want more of that, Harrison, or Mauck, etc, the mobility aspect dovetails with the Strange selection.

They are still down 3 bodies in the defensive backfield but am thinking some of that void will be from future signings of vets so the Jones can play and some draftees. I don't see Bledsoe being a solution at free safety but maybe he surprises.

I most look forward to seeing Evan Lazar’s bewildered and frustrated face on draft day after spending 500 hours diligently studying and writing about the draft, only to have the Patriots do the most random unpredictable thing and take players on nobody’s radar with the first 2 picks.

I most look forward to seeing Evan Lazar’s bewildered and frustrated face on draft day after spending 500 hours diligently studying and writing about the draft, only to have the Patriots do the most random unpredictable thing and take players on nobody’s radar with the first 2 picks.
Yeah, BB is going to do BB...which is always something unexpected.

Back