The NFL 2023 Draft

:coffee:

Is this really what you think I said?

Well, it isn't. Nevertheless, let me point out...
BB traded for a little known WR and made a star out of him based on his quickness. His name is Wes Welker.
He followed that up with an unknown QB out of Kent St. and made a star out of him based on his quickness. Edelman.

Sometimes athletic traits can make a difference if a coach is smart enough to take advantage of them.
Cooper Kupp for example. He's an average NFL athlete who has been successful. Table stakes of being a successful NFL WR aside, do you know what singular athletic trait made him successful in the league?

You agreed previously that skill positions are vastly based on skills and not combine metrics. Yet you keep posting about combine stats still for skill position players.

It’s not just Kupp. There’s a LONG list of noncombine stars who are superstar football players. and a long line of combine stars who cannot play football at an elite level at their position

You agreed previously that skill positions are vastly based on skills and not combine metrics. Yet you keep posting about combine stats still for skill position players.

It’s not just Kupp. There’s a LONG list of noncombine stars who are superstar football players. and a long line of combine stars who cannot play football at an elite level at their position

You didn't answer my question. Look at Kupp's combine numbers and see if you can determine where his success comes from.

Do you agree or disagree that Welker and Edelman took advantage of their quickness to be successful?

I think there are going to be really high quality TEs available day 3, and even late day 3. There are just too many TEs that have different profiles. Each time the position vs position question comes up, teams are going to look at the TEs that will be available in the next round or two, compared to the drop off in OT, WR, DL...whatever the competing need is, the issue of the drop off in quality is going to come back tilting the other way most of the time.

So the quality and depth might cause them all to fall. Guys like Kraft, Latu, Schoonmaker, and Durham are quality 2-way TEs that can do all the TE things, probably have pretty high floors, but they don't change the calculus for you. Guys like Musgrave, Kuntz, and Washington change the calculus, but have real questions. The calculus changers will still go, because someone will have a draft crush and it only takes one.

But the simple fact is that there are just too many TEs projected as round 3/4 and above - there aren't that many that are going to be drafted. And the more times a team looking TE comes up and there are 2-3 of their targets still there, the more they fall. Kraft in 2nd or Schoonmaker in the 4th? You graded Schoonmaker as a 3rd, and he's still there in the 4th...but so are Durham, Latu, and 5 other guys with a similar profile, and 7 teams have already taken their TEs. Aren't you better off waiting and taking that edge rusher?

Anyway...I'm trying to put together a tiered "big board," and this is what I'm finding again and again.

For me, at this time of year I wish the draft was at the end of March, not April.

How you picture yourself deftly avoiding the question:

bull1.jpg

How the rest of the forum sees you:

bull2.jpg

I would love Zay Flowers . He is the explosive quickness Wr. That would be perfect Jones quick hitters . BB draft are known for value trades & WTH selections. I think Jones was rare predicted pick that happened.

Zay Flowers’ catch rate is not good. No thanks

You didn't answer my question. Look at Kupp's combine numbers and see if you can determine where his success comes from.

Do you agree or disagree that Welker and Edelman took advantage of their quickness to be successful?

Wes Welker had a RAS of 2
JoeJuan Williams had a RAS of 8
Orlando Brown had one of the worst RAS scores of his class and made 4 Pro Bowls before age 27..

Combine scores mean sh-t especially at skill positions

The RAS founder even did a correlation analysis and combine metrics are negligible at predicting football talent or success

Wes Welker had a RAS of 2
JoeJuan Williams had a RAS of 8
Orlando Brown had one of the worst RAS scores of his class and made 4 Pro Bowls before age 27..

Combine scores mean sh-t especially at skill positions

The RAS founder even did a correlation analysis and combine metrics are negligible at predicting football talent or success

I know which is why I've maintained all along that athleticism is only a tool to help evaluate a prospect.
Your responses to RAS indicate that I think that's all that matters. Not true at all.
But a smart coach can recognize and utilize a player's 1 special trait for success. Welker is an example. Edelman, too.

Btw, you still haven't told me what Cooper Kupp's 1 special trait is that has led to his success.

Don't know what's going to happen to the Jets draft picks but they presently have two second rounders (42,43?) just before the Pats at 46.
Maybe it's just me but it seems these two teams have real good intel on their potential draft picks.

Am figuring that the Pats plan to move up before the Jets come draft day.

Per Lance Zerlein(sp) the OTs are rated in the following order,,
Skoronski
B. Jones
M. Bergeron
P. Johnson
D. Wright
Cody Mauch
Dawand Jones
Harrison

Bergeron, Johnson, Wright are basically tied.

I was surprised by how high Bergeron was ranked, wasn't impressed with him in Syracuse games but looked much better during Senior Bowl week, IMO.

I like Zerlein's write ups because they seem to agree with past results, like DB Myles Bryant is a bottom of the roster player.

Back