The NFL 2023 Draft

I like Zerlein's write ups because they seem to agree with past results, like DB Myles Bryant is a bottom of the roster player.
Big Zierlein fan. When I first moved to Houston in 1997 to go to grad school, he was a late 20 something just starting a really good talk radio show with John Granato called “The Bench”’. His dad is a longtime OLine coach in big time college and around 2000- got his first NFL OLine coaching position.

What I really enjoyed about Zierlein is that he could, better than anyone I have ever heard on the radio, break down OLine play in a way that wasn’t just industry jargon- and make it intelligent but accessible. The few times I crossed paths with him he was really friendly, humble and down to earth. He just really understood the trenches, was excited about it, and his enthusiasm was contagious. You could learn a lot from him pretty quickly. Overall, he was just an all around good guy. This was before talk radio shifted to its current hot take/ contrarian format.

When he first started doing NFL.com draft write ups, I wasn’t surprised at all. He gets it, loves the game and can quickly and effectively share his insights.

1 month from today
FsOLq5NWYAIzqJM

Stage 1: Denial-
OK- we are two hours into the draft, and they will be on the clock in 2 picks. This year, they have too many holes to fill. There are at least 4 good consensus innerweb picks on the board. We will definitely get one of them. There is no way trade back back twice and get a small school guy with a fourth round grade. Not this year!

:eek:nthetv:
The Patriots have traded the pick

:eek:nmyphone:
I keep hitting the refresh button, feeling certain I have misheard the announcement because I played Billy Idil too loud on my Walkman in the early-mid 80’s.

Who the hell is Logan Mankins????

WTF??? We trade back three slots and someone takes my binkie Keith Rivers? And we're left with Jerod freakin Mayo????
This sums up my second stage very effectively:
Anger. I am typically in this stage for snd extended period of time.

Stage 3 Bargaining:
Typically, I spend a lot of time flipping between anger and bargaining and back to anger.

“Ok, they took Tyquan Thornton in the second. I would have preferred in the the late 3rd. But, I would have been happy with David Bell in the second. If they take Bell here in the 3rd, they will have double dipped at WR and have a net that I feel better about. I can just pretend they took Bell, then Thornton. Just take David Bell and I will be ok with this draft…..

:Onthetv:
The Patriots have selected 5’8” 175 cornerback Marcus Jones

Me
Damn it! They need playmakers and they drafted a Smurf sized DB! I hate the draft.

And I am back in stage 2.

Stage 3 Bargaining:
Typically, I spend a lot of time flipping between anger and bargaining and back to anger.

“Ok, they took Tyquan Thornton in the second. I would have preferred in the the late 3rd. But, I would have been happy with David Bell in the second. If they take Bell here in the 3rd, they will have double dipped at WR and have a net that I feel better about. I can just pretend they took Bell, then Thornton. Just take David Bell and I will be ok with this draft…..

:Onthetv:
The Patriots have selected 5’8” 175 cornerback Marcus Jones

Me
Damn it! They need playmakers and they drafted a Smurf sized DB! I hate the draft.

And I am back in stage 2.

I plan to laugh with every pick and totally justify in my mind why each is brilliant.

The entire draft is nothing but fun. I wish they would have round one start on Friday night and rounds 2/3 on Saturday night so I could enjoy a few cocktails as the picks come in and we all get whiplash on a couple of them.

Enjoy it folks.

Last edited:
I plan to laugh with every pick and totally justify in my mind why each is brilliant.

The entire draft is nothing but fun. I wish they would have round one start on Friday night and rounds 2/3 on Saturday night so I could enjoy a few cock tails as the picks come in and we all get whiplash on a couple of them.

Enjoy it folks.
See, you are already in stage 5: acceptance. It takes me awhile to get there; I salute your healthier approach to NE drafting

Alex Barth discusses the WRs in this draft. He agrees the quality at the top just isn't there this year.
Quentin Johnston is the top X or boundary WR but he's really not a top 20 player in this draft to me. His ceiling is WR2 and most likely he'll be a backup X.
The next 5 or 6 best WRs are all little Slot guys. Teams will reach but none are worthy of a 1st rnd pick to me.

Good article imo.

This year, the overall talent in the draft at the receiver position has come back to the norm – or maybe even dropped a little below it. That doesn’t mean that there are no NFL-caliber players at the position, but the top of this class isn’t as strong, and it’s thinner in later round.

Back