The NFL 2023 Draft

WR Charlie Jones, Purdue, is my new WR target for the Pats from a practical pov after taking other factors into consideration such as higher needs at OT and DB.
He'd be the perfect mid round guy to take over the Slot and he blocks better than Josh Downs (but I also like Downs although at higher draft capital than Jones).
I looked at his games over the last 5-6 days and really liked the skill he has.

He's not my round 1 or 2 fav WR but this kid will cook in our offense and shouldn't cost a high round draft pick.
In the Purdue-Illinois game, Witherspoon was getting called for multiple holding calls.
WR Charlie Jones, Purdue, is my new WR target for the Pats from a practical pov after taking other factors into consideration such as higher needs at OT and DB.
He'd be the perfect mid round guy to take over the Slot and he blocks better than Josh Downs (but I also like Downs although at higher draft capital than Jones).
I looked at his games over the last 5-6 days and really liked the skill he has.

He's not my round 1 or 2 fav WR but this kid will cook in our offense and shouldn't cost a high round draft pick.
In the Purdue Illinois game, Jones play against Witherspoon made me wonder if Witherspoon will be a grabby NFL player.

In the Purdue-Illinois game, Witherspoon was getting called for multiple holding calls.

In the Purdue Illinois game, Jones play against Witherspoon made me wonder if Witherspoon will be a grabby NFL player.
Jones would be a good Patriot I bet...works for me.

I've been thinking that Scott and Charlie Jones are maybe more likely to end up here than any of the top 50 guys and
I don't expect us to double-dip at the position.

If I'm wrong and we spend big draft capital on a top-tier guy then I'd guess Flowers, strictly because of his
sharp routes and superior quickness breaking them off. I know he's got flaws, but every one of them has issues. None
of them really wow me, but Flowers had a pretty big 2022 on a bad BC team that couldn't pass block and had
little else to worry about besides him and he still got open and made plays despite constant attention and some
shoddy QB play.

On an unrelated note, I watched a lot of TCU last season and there are some good guys on that team besides
Quentin Johnston. The Guard, Avila, will likely be the safest bet, but he'll probably go early day 2 and
we won't go there. The kid that caught my eye (besides their QB) is Tomlinson, the Corner. He's smallish but sticky
and is a sharp tackler. I wonder what his Uncle, LT, would say if we did take him? He still hates us, but the feeling is
mutual far as I'm concerned.

He's a complete waste of space on TV. I'm surprised every year when he still has a job.

I've been thinking that Scott and Charlie Jones are maybe more likely to end up here than any of the top 50 guys and
I don't expect us to double-dip at the position.

If I'm wrong and we spend big draft capital on a top-tier guy then I'd guess Flowers, strictly because of his
sharp routes and superior quickness breaking them off. I know he's got flaws, but every one of them has issues. None
of them really wow me, but Flowers had a pretty big 2022 on a bad BC team that couldn't pass block and had
little else to worry about besides him and he still got open and made plays despite constant attention and some
shoddy QB play.

On an unrelated note, I watched a lot of TCU last season and there are some good guys on that team besides
Quentin Johnston. The Guard, Avila, will likely be the safest bet, but he'll probably go early day 2 and
we won't go there. The kid that caught my eye (besides their QB) is Tomlinson, the Corner. He's smallish but sticky
and is a sharp tackler. I wonder what his Uncle, LT, would say if we did take him? He still hates us, but the feeling is
mutual far as I'm concerned.

He's a complete waste of space on TV. I'm surprised every year when he still has a job.
LT also played for TCU...I didn't realize that he was his uncle though. What a diva!

Here's a smart analysis of this WR class that ranks each prospect by Yards Added per Target when compared to the other WRs on the team.
It's value is that it gives some idea of a prospect's ability to shine within their team.

JS-N, for example, added over 6 yards/target more than all the rest of the WRs on his team. That's phenomenal.
Josh Downs, who has been ranked in the top 5 or 6 WRs in this draft, has only 0.4 yards added over the other WRs on his team. Maybe Downs isn't all that great after all.
On the other hand, my mid-round WR pick for the Pats is Marvin Mims. His Target Yards Added is a whopping 5 yds/ target over his WR team mates which ranks 2nd only to JS-N.
He's undervalued perhaps more than any other WR in this draft.

There are a few positions that see little correlation between either score and where they end up getting drafted (Cornerback, Defensive End, Quarterback, Safety). These are positions you could consider as “film positions,” as teams may look more for traits and on-field abilities rather than their overall performances in various metrics. The non-correlation between draft pick overall and production score for these positions tell me these metrics are not an ultimate decider of whether they are picked or not.

The overall takeaway and the study’s bottom line is that college production and combine results BOTH matter to NFL teams.

Like drafting the best QB in a late round is an awesome gain.
Or teams like the Steelers, KC that are good at drafting WRs have an advantage.
KC drafts WR's well? I don't think so...it looked like the NFL was colluding on Tyreek Hill. KC said fuck it, it's worth the risk when they finally took him. Hill was a known risk and everyone knew that he had a lot of talent. Kinda like Moss.

Like drafting the best QB in a late round is an awesome gain.
Or teams like the Steelers, KC that are good at drafting WRs have an advantage.

The Steelers are decent but they aren't what they used to be in the WR selection department.
Their last great pick was ABrown in 2007.
Since then they have 3 pretty solid picks (ESanders, Mike Wallace and JuJu) and 12 meh or bad picks.

The Athletic mock

14. New England Patriots: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois​

Former Patriots assistant Bret Bielema had arguably the top defensive player in the Big Ten in Witherspoon, a corner who coaches and scouts can’t stop raving about. The 5 feet 11 1/2, 181-pound Florida native plays much bigger than his measurables. Coaches I spoke to at the combine loved him in their meetings, saying his demeanor and personality really shined. The Pats already have promising young corners Marcus Jones and Jack Jones, but Witherspoon is a notch above, and that matters in a division with Stefon Diggs, Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle and Garrett Wilson.

The Coaching Intel

“His physicality is just different. Not many cornerbacks are as tough. He’s pretty special. I think he’s just got savvy about him. He really understands the game. He would just smoke people. He made you really leery of throwing the flats. I’m glad he’s gone!”

“He has great football IQ. He’s really physical at the line of scrimmage; really fits the run; loves to throw his body around. We put an ‘X’ (on our scouting report) to go away from him. We were scared to attack him.”

“The media talked a lot about Joey Porter Jr. and I get why, because he’s super long. They talked a lot about the kid at Iowa (Riley Moss), but this guy was by far the best corner in our league. His instincts are rare. His ability to trigger is special.”

Daniel Jeremiah heard that the Bills are real high on LB Jack Campbell, look for him to late first.

Daniel Jeremiah heard that the Bills are real high on LB Jack Campbell, look for him to late first.
I've cooled on him some. I think he's likely to be solid in the long term, but I don't think he's an instant contributor. Of the big 4 Iowa prospects, I think LaPorta, Moss, and Campbell all have very high floors. I think Moss is a CB3 or 4, but could be a starting coverage safety.

Van Ness? He could do it, but my guess is that he washes out when he's not clearly the biggest/fastest/strongest. He's Hercules, but in a league where everyone has superpowers, that ain't enough. And if you've relied on that for so long, it's hard to handle just being another guy.

Back