The NFL 2023 Draft

Gonzalez was one of those splashy sexy picks. Those round 2 picks are solid for our infrastructure which are also needed. All were for the D.
I'm ready for some splashy sexy picks and infrastructure picks for the offense now.
Gonzalez I was totally stoked for. Blue chip player at a position of need. White, I'm like "OK, I would have preferred offense, but I can understand the value". Mapu I was like "WTF?! His ceiling is a Kyle Duggar clone. And we already have him. Didn't BB learn anything with the Elandon Roberts experiment?" At least Mapu is taller than Roberts.

Pittsburgh and Cincinnati pick from big mainstream college teams only.

The obsession with RAS is misplaced. It’s like when the old Al Davis Raiders used to overdraft for fast guys and were crappy in the 1990’s. The Patriots are now overdrafting combine guys.

Last year Strange and Thornton had historical RAS and didn’t do sh-t in 2022. I love Gonzalez for his football skills but the media parroting RAS over and over on all the Pats’ selections is lazy draft analysis and RAS does not make for a good football player.

If Dawand Jones isn't the next pick, I'm flipping a table over.

I was with you but there were too many reports of him being a dick during the post-season process, so I moved on
from him based on attitude, because that is how we roll.

I'm curious to see how he makes out in Cleveland. If he doesn't spin out, I think he'll be a force for
a long time, but his technique is some of the worst you will ever see and he will probably struggle to pass protect NFL guys.

He's hit or miss, but I would have taken a flyer on him in the 4th just to see what happens because he'd be a damn sight more
interesting than watching some of the guys we have now.

Seahawks drafted a S out of New Mexico which had highlights of balls bouncing off his helmet. Pete's going to tell him that won't work in the NFL.

I was with you but there were too many reports of him being a dick during the post-season process, so I moved on
from him based on attitude, because that is how we roll.

I'm curious to see how he makes out in Cleveland. If he doesn't spin out, I think he'll be a force for
a long time, but his technique is some of the worst you will ever see and he will probably struggle to pass protect NFL guys.

He's hit or miss, but I would have taken a flyer on him in the 4th just to see what happens because he'd be a damn sight more
interesting than watching some of the guys we have now.

1. Dawand hurt himself blowing off the senior bowl and also his college pro day. Having said that, I think teams over-penalize stuff like this. Gronk for example passed out from partying and was taking a nap when the Patriots opened the door for his 1-1 visit. Sometimes an immature kid can be a consummate pro with structure and good coaching and teammates.

Some overall draft thoughts:

1. The Eagles KILLED this draft. Best roster in the league. The rich getting richer. It is a smart strategy to overload on championship Georgia players the last 3 years. Hard to go wrong taking the best players from the best college team. Somehow they reloaded with high-pick blue chippers despite going to the Superbowl.

2. That trade by Caserio for #3 overall was idiotic. Desperation move. He probably doesn’t care since he’s on the hot seat anyways. Massive overpay. It’s like he watched Draft Day too many times.

3. I dislike the 2022 Patriots draft the more I look at it. I hope to be proven wrong but that’s just crushing to have burned the top2 picks last year on Strange and Thornton. Wish they had done what KC did last year, their CB McDuffie and MLB pick Chenal ended up key contributors to that championship season and in the Superbowl. The Pats ended up having to still fix CB this year anyways.

The Pats have an ultra tough division this year and it will not be a good look to not do well this season, with the narrative a year from now of not much in 4 seasons post TB12. I do agree that the most competitive strategy for the Pats is to double down on Defense. They couldn’t stop the Bills or Dolphins last year and went 1-6 against playoff-teams.

Back