The NFL 2023 Draft

Some overall draft thoughts:

1. The Eagles KILLED this draft. Best roster in the league. The rich getting richer. It is a smart strategy to overload on championship Georgia players the last 3 years. Hard to go wrong taking the best players from the best college team. Somehow they reloaded with high-pick blue chippers despite going to the Superbowl.

2. That trade by Caserio for #3 overall was idiotic. Desperation move. He probably doesn’t care since he’s on the hot seat anyways. Massive overpay. It’s like he watched Draft Day too many times.

3. I dislike the 2022 Patriots draft the more I look at it. I hope to be proven wrong but that’s just crushing to have burned the top2 picks last year on Strange and Thornton. Wish they had done what KC did last year, their CB McDuffie and MLB pick Chenal ended up key contributors to that championship season and in the Superbowl. The Pats ended up having to still fix CB this year anyways.

The Pats have an ultra tough division this year and it will not be a good look to not do well this season, with the narrative a year from now of not much in 4 seasons post TB12. I do agree that the most competitive strategy for the Pats is to double down on Defense. They couldn’t stop the Bills or Dolphins last year and went 1-6 against playoff-teams.
Your take on Strange is absolutely idiotic. He’ll be a 12 year starter and will be a Pro-Bowl caliber guard within a year.

Your take on Strange is absolutely idiotic. He’ll be a 12 year starter and will be a Pro-Bowl caliber guard within a year.

Cole Strange had a PFF grade of only 55 in 2022. This is poor, not to mention absolutely not worth a first round pick. You can live in reality-distortion, but repeatedly squandering high draft capital like this will keep falling behind what competition is doing.

Cole Strange had a PFF grade of only 55 in 2022. This is poor, not to mention absolutely not worth a first round pick. You can live in reality-distortion, but repeatedly squandering high draft capital like this will keep falling behind what competition is doing.

I am not a OLine savant by any stretch, and I take PFF rankings with many grains of salt. However, since this is the primary pillar of your argument, it is worth noting that the #3 guard for 2022 was Tevin Jenkins. He was taken at pick 39 in the 2021 draft. In 2021, Jenkins PFF rating was 47.5.

Strange was taken at pick 29, which is not dramatically different than a high second round pick with a 5 year option. While I am not saying Strange will improve dramatically, Jenkins is a recent example of a similar player that did improve dramatically in terms of PFF guard rating scale. So clearly, the book is not closed on Cole Strange. Unless of course, stats are only worth looking at when they suit your argument.

Is it just me or does this draft have a different feel to it in terms of optimism for each pick? It seems like in the past we come away with late round, unknowns that are head scratchers, that we all know will not make the team. Camp fodder only. As I look at each of these draft picks this year, it seems to me that each one of these folks has a chance to at least make the practice squad, and eventually make an NFL career, if not much more.

As it applies to my above statement only, am I crazy?

Is it just me or does this draft have a different feel to it in terms of optimism for each pick? It seems like in the past we come away with late round, unknowns that are head scratchers, that we all know will not make the team. Camp fodder only. As I look at each of these draft picks this year, it seems to me that each one of these folks has a chance to at least make the practice squad, and eventually make an NFL career, if not much more.

As it applies to my above statement only, am I crazy?

In my uneducated opinion, since Bill took more control of the draft, the picks have gotten better. At this draft, like Warren Buffet looking for value stocks, when guys like Gonzales, White and Mapu were available at the Patriot's pick position, he jumped all over them, as he should have.

I am not a OLine savant by any stretch, and I take PFF rankings with many grains of salt. However, since this is the primary pillar of your argument, it is worth noting that the #3 guard for 2022 was Tevin Jenkins. He was taken at pick 39 in the 2021 draft. In 2021, Jenkins PFF rating was 47.5.

Strange was taken at pick 29, which is not dramatically different than a high second round pick with a 5 year option. While I am not saying Strange will improve dramatically, Jenkins is a recent example of a similar player that did improve dramatically in terms of PFF guard rating scale. So clearly, the book is not closed on Cole Strange. Unless of course, stats are only worth looking at when they suit your argument.

Respectfully, I don't find that a convincing argument to point to another mediocre player taken a bit later. But I agree that yes, that would be the hope for Strange. Like I said, I hope Cole Strange takes a quantum leap in improvement so that the first round draft pick was not a huge bust, not to mention a total misplay in turning a strength into a weakness when the team had Karras, Thuney, Mason, and Onwenu.

Respectfully, I don't find that a convincing argument to point to another mediocre player taken a bit later. But I agree that yes, that would be the hope for Strange. Like I said, I hope Cole Strange takes a quantum leap in improvement so that the first round draft pick was not a huge bust, not to mention a total misplay in turning a strength into a weakness when the team had Karras, Thuney, Mason, and Onwenu.

So, when Strange ends up being a highly successful player for the Patriots for years are you going to come on here and endlessly tell us how wrong you were about him? I mean like every f-cking post you make?

Be careful Kick, this is precedent-setting and given your record so far (IMHO) you might just spend ALL of your time contradicting yourself on PP instead of watching football. Just sayin'

Last edited:
So, when Strange ends up being a highly successful player for the Patriots for years are you going to come on here and endlessly tell us how wrong you were about him? I mean like every f-cking post you make?

Be careful Kick, this is president setting and given your record so far (IMHO) you might just spend ALAL of your time contradicting yourself on PP instead of watching football. Just sayin'
He hated the draft. Nothing will ever change his mind. Thuney got a huge deal with KC. Mason was a salary cap dump to TB . Who traded him for a 7th round pick.

Last edited:

Be careful Kick, this is precedent-setting and given your record so far (IMHO) you might just spend ALL of your time contradicting yourself on PP instead of watching football. Just sayin'

As it stands right now some homers here were dead wrong about 2022 and also about Cole Strange. So I don’t appreciate your tone. I will say again since you conveniently ignored it, a PFF of only 55 for Cole Strange is terrible and even worse so to burn a 1st round pick. Don’t get me started on spending a 2nd on Thornton.

So yes, let’s definitely keep tabs on this as a couple clowns here have absolutely been wrong so far and won’t admit it, just slinging some bitter jabs at me out of embarrassment.

As it stands right now some homers here were dead wrong about 2022 and also about Cole Strange. So I don’t appreciate your tone. I will say again since you conveniently ignored it, a PFF of only 55 for Cole Strange is terrible and even worse so to burn a 1st round pick. Don’t get me started on spending a 2nd on Thornton.

So yes, let’s definitely keep tabs on this as a couple clowns here have absolutely been wrong so far and won’t admit it, just slinging some bitter jabs at me out of embarrassment.

You don’t appreciate my tone?😳😳😳😳😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂

There is absolutely no bitterness on anybody’s part around Cole Strange, except for what’s caught in your throat, which seems to be a 12 pound bowling ball worth of bitterness. It’s comical the lengths that you go to to embarrass yourself.

But seriously, that’s all right. Every forum needs to have one of you. Unfortunately, we have a couple, but you’re the only one I don’t have on ignore. You are a repetitive, know it all egomaniac.

Did you seriously type the words “ I don’t appreciate your tone“? Could you be less self-aware on this forum?

And to close the loop, you didn’t answer my question about your promise to come on here and post repetitively (and that will mean hundreds of posts) telling everybody how sorry you are for being wrong about Cole Strange.

Why did you skip that?

Last edited:
1. Dawand hurt himself blowing off the senior bowl and also his college pro day. Having said that, I think teams over-penalize stuff like this. Gronk for example passed out from partying and was taking a nap when the Patriots opened the door for his 1-1 visit. Sometimes an immature kid can be a consummate pro with structure and good coaching and teammates.

I think that's more the exception to the rule, especially when it comes to BB.

He was undeniable talent, so BB got him regardless of his first impression. It worked out then, but how many 2nd rounders has BB missed on?

That's usually one of the main arguments our resident BB detractors use against him.

Oh, good. I was just thinking that it'd be awesome if we could fill in the offseason with nastiness, arrogance, and name-calling.

Back