The NFL 2023 Draft

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
It's that time of year again so let's get this party started. Needs: CB1, OT, FS, WR1, DT and more.

Here's a good place to begin. Pats have the 14th pick and will have a chance to get a great player to fill 1 of those positions.

2023 NFL Draft Big Board: B/R NFL Scouting Dept.'s End-of-Season Top 150​

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10060471-2023-nfl-draft-big-board-br-nfl-scouting-depts-end-of-season-top-150

View: https://twitter.com/patscap/status/1614291721222750208

The Patriots 2023 draft

1st Round pick (14th)
2nd Round pick
3rd Round pick
4th Round pick 3picks
6th Round pick 4 picks
7th Round pick

New England has some draft capital to trade.

Last edited:
They have Skoronski as an OG bc of his size. 6'3", 294. First I've seen him projected as a guard.
I've seen him at 295 to 315. They and others have certain players like Jones from GA projected as a G. This will all shake out during the process.

I've seen him at 295 to 315. They and others have certain players like Jones from GA projected as a G. This will all shake out during the process.
I think it's more the height than the weight. IOL still need weight, but they can't be too tall that they obstruct the view. OTs on the edges of the pocket can be taller. Typically OTs are 6'4+. But Skoronski moves like a tackle. If he's really on the lighter end of that range, scouts will stare really hard at whether he'll have enough sand in his pants to stand up to getting bull rushed by NFLers.

Speaking to the Somers who I know we'll, I like Mayer but he's just not NFL-fast. He's talented, coachable, and I expect he'll be successful, but he's not quite fast enough to be the pure size/speed matchup problem that scouts will look for. He runs excellent routes for an undergrad TE, but I expect him to drop after the combine. His 40 will pull him out of the top 10.

Ditto for Foskey. Great motor, great technique, but he doesn't have that blinding NFL-edge guy speed. B/Rs early 2nd round seems reasonable, maybe very late 1st. Not 14 overall, though.

I do like S Brandon Joseph and OG/OC Patterson, though. Day 2, early day 3...they could be players.

I'm kind of obsessed with the possibility of coaching up Georgia TE Darnell Washington. Drafting that kid would almost be like being in a base 6 man OL, except the tackle-eligible runs a 4.6 and highpoints the ball with a 6'7" frame.

But draft season be like that. I know it's not about the physical metrics.

Maryland's Duncan seems to be an OT that is on the rise. Last month when I checked a few rankings he was somewhere in the 60's.

I've seen him (Skoronski) at 295 to 315. They and others have certain players like Jones from GA projected as a G. This will all shake out during the process.

Jones looks almost identical to the way Wynn did coming out.

I watched a little of Skoronski and think he'll probably slip down a bit, but he looked pretty good. He's got good power. Level of competition
means he'll need to prove himself against good players and he's neither a stiff nor a fluid athlete. He looked bigger than 6'3". I think it's funny
how, say, two guys who are listed as the same size look much different on the field to the eye.

So far, there seem to be a lot of top names missing from both the E/W and Senior Bowl and the question is whether the trend for
the best guys to skip the all-star game and Combine will continue. I think it definitely will, but that isn't necessarily a smart career move. The
shine is off these all-star games and they might disappear fairly soon.

Of the OTs I've seen this year Paris Johnson looks to be a sure first-rounder. He's got the size and athletic talent. Nice fluid sets and he doesn't
over-react to counters. I'd say he's probably top 15ish. Maybe in our range. I took an interest in his teammate RT Dawand Jones because he is
fucking enormous. Sloppy body type, but his feet weren't too bad for a monster. He wiped a lot of puny humans out of the picture in the one game I
watched him. He is worth a longer look. Maybe a day two guy, but he's a Jones, so.....:)

I watched a little of Skoronski and think he'll probably slip down a bit, but he looked pretty good. He's got good power. Level of competition
means he'll need to prove himself against good players and he's neither a stiff nor a fluid athlete. He looked bigger than 6'3". I think it's funny
how, say, two guys who are listed as the same size look much different on the field to the eye.

So far, there seem to be a lot of top names missing from both the E/W and Senior Bowl and the question is whether the trend for
the best guys to skip the all-star game and Combine will continue. I think it definitely will, but that isn't necessarily a smart career move. The

Of the OTs I've seen this year Paris Johnson looks to be a sure first-rounder. He's got the size and athletic talent. Nice fluid sets and he doesn't
over-react to counters. I'd say he's probably top 15ish. Maybe in our range. I took an interest in his teammate RT Dawand Jones because he is
fucking enormous. Sloppy body type, but his feet weren't too bad for a monster. He wiped a lot of puny humans out of the picture in the one game I
watched him. He is worth a longer look. Maybe a day two guy, but he's a Jones, so.....:)
I have visions of taking Jones and TE Washington, and on a 4th and short running unbalanced right: Onwenu @360, Trent Brown @370, Jones @380, and TE Washington @275. Maybe run a DT-as-FB on a lead block for good measure, and let Mondre stroll through the hole. Or Thornton jet around the weak side.

Isn’t Skoronski’s grandfather a hall of fame offensive lineman? A plus for me

I have visions of taking Jones and TE Washington, and on a 4th and short running unbalanced right: Onwenu @360, Trent Brown @370, Jones @380, and TE Washington @275. Maybe run a DT-as-FB on a lead block for good measure, and let Mondre stroll through the hole. Or Thornton jet around the weak side.

Daniel Graham isn't walking through that door, so, maybe you've got an idea there. I gave up predicting we'd add a "blocking" TE after I realized that the last time we drafted one
was Lee......Smith? --who went on to have a decent career with Buffalo.

Anyhow, I like the concept of using massive OLs a lot, but for a twist imagine using Marcus Jones disappearing behind the behemoths with the ball and emerging somewhere nobody
expects. Kind of the K-State Deuce Vaughn concept or what KC is doing with Pacheco, but a play that allows Mac to either handoff to Mondre or pitch it to Thornton
running a Jet does sound very stressful for the other guys. One guy you can't tackle and one you can't catch. We'll call that play Flagg's Dilemma. My wrinkle would be The
Mouse Trap.

:beer:

Don’t think another TE makes sense given they already spend the most $$ on 2 underused expensive tight ends.

Isn’t Skoronski’s grandfather a hall of fame offensive lineman? A plus for me

He is. Grampa Bob Skoronski was a Captain of Lombardi's Packers. That I hadn't heard.

Makes me feel old. I'm dreading the first time somebody I saw play has a great-Grandson get drafted in the NFL, but
I guess it beats the alternative of not being able to see that happen.

For some reason.
:rolleyes:

Daniel Graham isn't walking through that door, so, maybe you've got an idea there. I gave up predicting we'd add a "blocking" TE after I realized that the last time we drafted one
was Lee......Smith? --who went on to have a decent career with Buffalo.

Anyhow, I like the concept of using massive OLs a lot, but for a twist imagine using Marcus Jones disappearing behind the behemoths with the ball and emerging somewhere nobody
expects. Kind of the K-State Deuce Vaughn concept or what KC is doing with Pacheco, but a play that allows Mac to either handoff to Mondre or pitch it to Thornton
running a Jet does sound very stressful for the other guys. One guy you can't tackle and one you can't catch. We'll call that play Flagg's Dilemma. My wrinkle would be The
Mouse Trap.

:beer:
I actually initially typed Marcus Jones instead of Thornton, but thought I was a little overboard with my man crush on Marcus Jones this year, so I backed it up...

Back