The NFL 2023 Draft

I agree. In fact, they've already completed the move. The Pats RBs now are adept at receiving and running. Stevenson led the Pats in receptions this year.
FB was another position like that. FB in = run 95% of the time.

The only reason I said "Trying" is because Montgomery was on the roster at the beginning of the year, potentially to fill that 3rd back/slot receiver type role.

I know it is early is the process, but WTF:

Bucky Brooks Mock V1

New England Patriots

New England Patriots

Michael Mayer, TE​

• School: Notre Dame
  • Year: Junior

The Patriots could elect to go back to the future by drafting a tight end who allows them to utilize more jumbo packages.

Three Tackles off the board, one WR (Johnston TCU), FOUR CBs off the board in the next four picks..... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

In Bill I trust and all....but even I would be pissed if this was the pick
Yes, and thus I think trading down is the most likely scenario this year. They have a 1, 2, and 2 3s. I'd expect that to be more like a later 1, 3 2s, a 3, and add a 2 or 3 next year.

There's just not a lot of difference among the CBs and OTs likely to be available at 14 vs 27 or even through 40 or so.

View attachment 15121

The grade means nothing. It fills needs and Hopkins was traded to NE.

Love Hopkins! Quentin Johnston has the ability to be a star if he wants it.
I've done much worse. Hell, anyone who has done these mocks has done worse.
You started out well, although I'd have gone OT instead EDGE with pick 69. I don't think EDGE is high on BB's list.
But Duncan is big and has long arms. A good OL coach can clean up his footwork and technique over time but, if I remember, hasn't he always played Right Tackle? We need a LT more, imo.

I think they are trying to move away from the 3rd/passing back....having one makes the Offense's tendencies easier to read.

It’s probably just Stevenson since he’s so versatile. Harder to defensive game plan on 3rd when you have a 3down RB who can do anything

View attachment 15121

The grade means nothing. It fills needs and Hopkins was traded to NE.

While WR isn’t a priority on my list compared to OT, CB1, MLB, NT, or FS, I’m ok if they went with a blue chip WR. But will be calling for heads if they try to seem smart and go for a no-name random player bypassing multiple clear stars, with the #14 pick. At this position you should be able to get the clear #1 or #2 player in the country at their respective position.

I know it is early is the process, but WTF:

Bucky Brooks Mock V1

Three Tackles off the board, one WR (Johnston TCU), FOUR CBs off the board in the next four picks..... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Agree. $35M next year tied up in two TEs next year and they think we go draft a player who will never hit the field. Yeah this clown has no credibility. Having said that, the Pats could do anything. Watch us over-analyze the draft for 4 months just to see Bill trade back once or twice and take that no-name Rutgers kid.

I'm fine with this. I think we'd do better with 1st round premier CB and 2nd/3rd round OT than the other way around.
Weirdly, I think both OT and CB are likely to have better value in the late 1st through mid-3rd than at 14. Which tells me that unless there's a faller like Paris Johnson or Porter's Kid, we may see a trade down. We could have 2 OTs, a CB, and a WR by the Panther's pick at the top of the third.

But let's wait until the combine and for ratings to shake out a bit before we go too far slotting folks...

Bucky Brooks used to work as a scout for Mike Holmgren in Seattle. Holmgren played for USC.
The scouts had one rule, "We are not drafting any players from UCLA".

Here's some OTs at the Shrine Bowl
The number is the overall ranking per Draftrek.

151 Connor Galvin , Baylor West team
201 Alex Palczewski , Illinois East
212 Dalton Wagner ,Ark West
245 Carter Warren ,Pitt. East

At center is
140 Ricky Stromberg Ark. West

And oh by the way is an Olineman from Oregon, Mal Aumavae-Laulu you can keep an eye on. No idea which position.

Thankfully, its Brooks pick not Bills, Odds he does grab the TE seem stoopid.
He had 2 very productive Draft classes. The experts & social media will never like them.

A Old BB quote on them .
"We have a ton of information on all the players that are in the draft. What's online, you should go talk to the geniuses that are online. I don't know. MyFace, YourFace, InstantFace. Go talk to whoever you want that does that stuff. I don't know"

Last edited:
Weirdly, I think both OT and CB are likely to have better value in the late 1st through mid-3rd than at 14. Which tells me that unless there's a faller like Paris Johnson or Porter's Kid, we may see a trade down. We could have 2 OTs, a CB, and a WR by the Panther's pick at the top of the third.

But let's wait until the combine and for ratings to shake out a bit before we go too far slotting folks...

I see it that way, too.
Trading 14 for a later 1st and later 2nd (or similar) is something we have learned to expect from BB. Why not pick up 2 9.5/10 players instead of 1 10/10 player.

I see it that way, too.
Trading 14 for a later 1st and later 2nd (or similar) is something we have learned to expect from BB. Why not pick up 2 9.5/10 players instead of 1 10/10 player.
2- 8/10 > 1/10

Back