The NFL Draft, 2022

My understanding is that 2022 is supposed to be a great year for CBs and DBs generally. Huzzah to that; I'll take two in the first two rounds, please.

The trickle down effect of getting a stud/starter or two that let us push Mills to a hybrid spot or even a pure cover/matchup safety would be tremendous.

I am still bullish on the staff finding the right way to deploy Wade to reveal him as a stud, but I'm happy to pay for insurance on that.
If that's true, have to wonder if BB walks from JC Jackson on that.

Jim Nagy was on a recent "Move the Sticks" podcast and said it was an easy year to find NFL caliber TE's for this year's Senior Bowl, good crop of TE's. Last year they were scrapping the barrel to find 6 TE's.
Then Nagy asked the hosts if "LOT Icky was a top 15 pick?" Icky is NC State LOT Ikem Ekwonu, # 79, looks like Bruce Armstrong. The hosts had no input on draft status. Someone to keep an eye on.

The 1st WR I've chosen to study, Drake London, USC, is a worthy draft candidate for the Pats based on ability to do WR things

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqMi9KNu7MAD

Dude is 6’5” I think. He is a lot like fellow USC wr Michael Pittman. London is a bit taller & maybe a tad faster than Pitman. I don’t know who the wr coach was at USC but he definitely taught those guys to high point & fight for the football. London will be a steal for some team.

Dude is 6’5” I think. He is a lot like fellow USC wr Michael Pittman. London is a bit taller & maybe a tad faster than Pitman. I don’t know who the wr coach was at USC but he definitely taught those guys to high point & fight for the football. London will be a steal for some team.

He's tough for a tall WR. As crazy as it sounds he's got the same kind of grit that Edelman had but he's a lot taller. Fights for yardage and fights for the ball.
He plays mostly outside but the guy could start Slot or flanker with the same ease.
He's the 1st I'm looking at but I already know he's a guy I can get behind for the Pats.

He's tough for a tall WR. As crazy as it sounds he's got the same kind of grit that Edelman had but he's a lot taller. Fights for yardage and fights for the ball.
He plays mostly outside but the guy could start Slot or flanker with the same ease.
He's the 1st I'm looking at but I already know he's a guy I can get behind for the Pats.
Matt Miller has London pegged at #7 overall.

Matt Miller has London pegged at #7 overall.

Figures. But that's the kind of guy the Pats need. Bama has a couple who will go later. There are others.

The 1st WR I've chosen to study, Drake London, USC, is a worthy draft candidate for the Pats based on ability to do WR things

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqMi9KNu7MA

Yeah, I like him, also, which means the Pats will never draft him.

But the catch at 0:40 is Randy Moss-ish. His arms shoot up at the last minute and snag the ball just like Moss did, like a frog's tongue shooting out and grabbing a flying insect.

thoughts on next off-season needs.

pats had issues on both sides of the los, but the worst was the front 7 on D.

NT was a weakness all year need one and need it badly the Pats could not stop anybody running all year and this was a huge issue in almost every loss.
LB were slow and ineffective, they could not set the edge and could not cover in the passing game.
OT need some badly and needs depth, in almost every Pats loss the OL did not play well, they still cannot pick up even the simplest of stunts with any consistency. Please Scar come back please.
CB lack of depth here forced the Pats into playing zone almost exclusively - the smoke and mirrors worked for a while but teams adjusted.
WR no good slot guy killed this O, really missed james white, need outside threat to at least be a threat. Harry can fvcking go today. the fact he keeps getting playing time speaks to either the coaching staff are idiots or the depth behind him is just that bad.

in summary i know everybody wants wr but the pats won and lost their games this year based on what the DL/OL did or didn't do.

welp on to next season lets hope the pats continue building, but this is the most difficult stage of a rebuild, too good to get top draft picks, not good enough to win it all. the Pats are in that classic middle stage of rebuild that so many teams never get past.
Injuries killed the OLine and CBs this year. I can't imagine having Jalen Mills covering, say, Jaelen Waddle one-on-one was Option A.

NT was a weakness all year need one and need it badly the Pats could not stop anybody running all year and this was a huge issue in almost every loss.
LB were slow and ineffective, they could not set the edge and could not cover in the passing game.
OT need some badly and needs depth, in almost every Pats loss the OL did not play well, they still cannot pick up even the simplest of stunts with any consistency. Please Scar come back please.
CB lack of depth here forced the Pats into playing zone almost exclusively - the smoke and mirrors worked for a while but teams adjusted.
WR no good slot guy killed this O, really missed james white, need outside threat to at least be a threat. Harry can fvcking go today. the fact he keeps getting playing time speaks to either the coaching staff are idiots or the depth behind him is just that bad.

in summary i know everybody wants wr but the pats won and lost their games this year based on what the DL/OL did or didn't do.

welp on to next season lets hope the pats continue building, but this is the most difficult stage of a rebuild, too good to get top draft picks, not good enough to win it all. the Pats are in that classic middle stage of rebuild that so many teams never get past.
I guess they finished 6-11...

agreed but trent brown, ted karras are ufa and the bad play by winn. they need OT and overall ol depth badly.
for cb jc jackson is ufa and behind him is a bunch of jags or returning from injuries so they need cb depth bad and possibly a starter or 2

huge offseason for the pats, they appear to have hit a homerun last year if mac works out long term, but they need another homerun this season even more if they are to bust out of the middle of the pack.

its easy to get to the middle of the pack, the hardest part is to go from middle of the pack to real sb contender.
I think Jackson comes back. Brown too, I think he wants to stay here. Wynn gets dinged for every bad play he has because he was a first round pick, he was really pretty decent when he was in there. Karras is garbage, he can go, Onwenu is a better player anyway.

Jones coming back next year will make that CB room pretty damned good. I do think they need a McCourty replacement though. I'm not sure he comes back.

You forgot a #1 WR

Back