The NFL Draft, 2022

This is likely me being way too optimistic but look at Sam Roberts play and tell me he doesn't look like Willie McGinest on the field. Kid is 6'5 290 pounds, very smooth moves and pursuit. He is not a DT, looks perfect as a 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB like McGinest.
Hope he translates in the NFL.

View: https://youtu.be/CmyuXNxYdhQ

This is likely me being way too optimistic but look at Sam Roberts play and tell me he doesn't look like Willie McGinest on the field. Kid is 6'5 290 pounds, very smooth moves and pursuit. He is not a DT, looks perfect as a 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB like McGinest.
Hope he translates in the NFL.

View: https://youtu.be/CmyuXNxYdhQ

He's playing against guys who would get universally hazed and mocked by NFL practice squadders. As Hawg put it, dwarf-tossing.

He may be a great one, who knows?

From PFF. Maybe our draft was better than initially thought.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS DRAFT CLASS

Folks in the media didn’t care for the Patriots’ draft, and it left many around the NFL scratching their heads, as well.

I asked a scout during Day 3 of the draft if he was surprised Zappe went before Howell.

“In a vacuum, 100%,” he said. “ But as the days pass, I’m just kind of expecting the Patriots to do unorthodox things.”

Some Patriots fans have theorized that New England took Zappe because he’d be more willing to accept a backup job behind starting quarterback and 2021 first-round pick Mac Jones. To that I say, would the Patriots really take a player who’s happy with a backup job? They simply must have liked Zappe more than Howell for his smarts, intangibles or on-field play.

We've already covered New England's surprising decision to select guard Cole Strange with their 29th overall pick in the first round. It was one of the biggest shocks of the entire draft, but another league source recently reached out and said he understood the pick in part because Strange is a freak athlete. He’s widely regarded as a future starter in the NFL.

Reactions to the Patriots’ draft actually underscore how differently teams rank or value certain players. I reached out to an AFC personnel executive after the Patriots picked Strange on Thursday night, and he defended the pick by calling Strange a good player and a starter. He essentially said the key to the draft is picking good players, and that’s exactly what the Patriots did.

The NFC personnel executive understood the Thornton pick. He thought it was necessary for New England to trade up for the Baylor wide receiver and believed one of the teams who picked a wide receiver in the next three picks would have chosen Thornton. But the Strange selection was laughable to him.

An NFC scout was also surprised by the Thornton pick but understood New England falling for his speed. Thornton ran a blazing 4.28-second 40-yard dash, and it shows up on the field. One of Thornton’s most concerning measurables was his 8.25-inch hands. Only 14 wide receivers with 8.5-inch or smaller hands caught passes in the NFL last season. Three of them were Tyler Lockett (8.375 inches), Tyreek Hill (8 inches) and Hunter Renfrow (7.875 inches), however.

In the PFF era (since 2006), only 30 drafted wide receivers with 8.5-inch or smaller hands have caught passes in the NFL. And only 42 total wide receivers with 8.5-inch or smaller hands have caught passes in the same span. They have a combined 8.6% drop rate. The average drop rate among all wide receivers in that same span of time was 8.49%. So, perhaps hand size is a bit overrated.

The top-graded players on that list are Hill, T.Y Hilton, Lockett, Renfrow and Will Fuller V. If Thornton can turn into any of those players, New England will be more than happy with the pick. Also on the list are J.J. Nelson (who also ran a 4.28-second 40-yard dash) with a 14.9% drop rate and Chad Jackson (also a Patriots second-round pick) with a 25% drop rate. If Thornton becomes Nelson or Jackson, it’s much more of a problem.

Thornton had a career 5.9% drop rate in college, but it was just 4.6% in his 2021 senior season, his most productive campaign at Baylor.

Concerning hand size.
Thornton's technique at the catch point is pretty much perfect. He extends his arms with his hands together to catch the ball rather clapping the ball as many receivers do.
Lockett, Tyreek Hill, Hunter Renfrow and Will Fuller are having productive NFL careers with smaller hands than our guy.
A 4.6% drop rate for Thornton is outstanding especially when you consider he faced double coverage on practically every catch and had a below avg QB throwing him the ball.

From PFF. Maybe our draft was better than initially thought.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS DRAFT CLASS

Folks in the media didn’t care for the Patriots’ draft, and it left many around the NFL scratching their heads, as well.

I asked a scout during Day 3 of the draft if he was surprised Zappe went before Howell.

“In a vacuum, 100%,” he said. “ But as the days pass, I’m just kind of expecting the Patriots to do unorthodox things.”

Some Patriots fans have theorized that New England took Zappe because he’d be more willing to accept a backup job behind starting quarterback and 2021 first-round pick Mac Jones. To that I say, would the Patriots really take a player who’s happy with a backup job? They simply must have liked Zappe more than Howell for his smarts, intangibles or on-field play.

We've already covered New England's surprising decision to select guard Cole Strange with their 29th overall pick in the first round. It was one of the biggest shocks of the entire draft, but another league source recently reached out and said he understood the pick in part because Strange is a freak athlete. He’s widely regarded as a future starter in the NFL.

Reactions to the Patriots’ draft actually underscore how differently teams rank or value certain players. I reached out to an AFC personnel executive after the Patriots picked Strange on Thursday night, and he defended the pick by calling Strange a good player and a starter. He essentially said the key to the draft is picking good players, and that’s exactly what the Patriots did.

The NFC personnel executive understood the Thornton pick. He thought it was necessary for New England to trade up for the Baylor wide receiver and believed one of the teams who picked a wide receiver in the next three picks would have chosen Thornton. But the Strange selection was laughable to him.

An NFC scout was also surprised by the Thornton pick but understood New England falling for his speed. Thornton ran a blazing 4.28-second 40-yard dash, and it shows up on the field. One of Thornton’s most concerning measurables was his 8.25-inch hands. Only 14 wide receivers with 8.5-inch or smaller hands caught passes in the NFL last season. Three of them were Tyler Lockett (8.375 inches), Tyreek Hill (8 inches) and Hunter Renfrow (7.875 inches), however.

In the PFF era (since 2006), only 30 drafted wide receivers with 8.5-inch or smaller hands have caught passes in the NFL. And only 42 total wide receivers with 8.5-inch or smaller hands have caught passes in the same span. They have a combined 8.6% drop rate. The average drop rate among all wide receivers in that same span of time was 8.49%. So, perhaps hand size is a bit overrated.

The top-graded players on that list are Hill, T.Y Hilton, Lockett, Renfrow and Will Fuller V. If Thornton can turn into any of those players, New England will be more than happy with the pick. Also on the list are J.J. Nelson (who also ran a 4.28-second 40-yard dash) with a 14.9% drop rate and Chad Jackson (also a Patriots second-round pick) with a 25% drop rate. If Thornton becomes Nelson or Jackson, it’s much more of a problem.

Thornton had a career 5.9% drop rate in college, but it was just 4.6% in his 2021 senior season, his most productive campaign at Baylor.

Concerning hand size.
Thornton's technique at the catch point is pretty much perfect. He extends his arms with his hands together to catch the ball rather clapping the ball as many receivers do.
Lockett, Tyreek Hill, Hunter Renfrow and Will Fuller are having productive NFL careers with smaller hands than our guy.
A 4.6% drop rate for Thornton is outstanding especially when you consider he faced double coverage on practically every catch and had a below avg QB throwing him the ball.
whether we agree with the picks or evals here or not, an important point of note is all these personnel guys have differing opinions on the same guys. so yeah...can't boom OR bust any of 'em yet.

This has been posted before elsewhere already.

Hang you hat on one practice snap, out of position in a drill that is known to favor the DL. Genius!

Just in case:The Stadium Wall

So highlights aren't good but 1 video of 1vs1 is enough to say he isn't good?
The answers, as always, will come on the field and not through a single play, spreadsheets or YouTube cut-ups of college games.

The answers, as always, will come on the field and not through a single play, spreadsheets or YouTube cut-ups of college games.
also who is to say thats not Jones best play ever made LOL

I also don't see anything in a single play that tells me that Strange isn't going to be a solid player.

With the 21st pick in the 2022 NFL draft the NE Patriots select Cole Strange OL, Jack Jones CB, Bialey Zappe QB and a 2023 3rd round pick. I think they did well.

Me, too. Belichick is a draft day wizard.

Meanwhile the New Orleans Saints traded picks No. 98 & No. 120 to move up 5 spots from pick 16 to pick 11 to draft Chris Olave and pundits think they had a good draft. Mickey Loomis went crazy over Olave.

I like Olave too but not so much that I'd give up a 1st, a 3rd and a 4th to get him.

Back