The NFL Draft, 2022

I genuinely have no idea how anyone can grade a draft before any of the draftees have taken a single NFL snap.

So much of someone's career is about luck and the culture of the organisation; David Carr could probably have done a lot better in a team with better coaching and (obviously) a decent O Line. How well would Tom Brady have done at the Lions? I honestly don't know.

That's not a knock on Brady and his talent/work ethic, but cultural fit and coaching really, really matter.

Now I have been around for a few years and I see many post not all that different from what you are posting. Yet I have seen 20+ years of BB drafting like this and some how he seems to do alright. We don't know how some of the young guys are developing like Barmore, Bledsoe, McGrone, and I still think Josh Uche has a lot of upside yet.
This is true, but I think everyone can agree that Brady made, up
With the 21st pick in the 2022 NFL draft the NE Patriots select Cole Strange OL, Jack Jones CB, Bialey Zappe QB and a 2023 3rd round pick. I think they did well.
Me, too. Belichick is a draft day wizard.

Meanwhile the New Orleans Saints traded picks No. 98 & No. 120 to move up 5 spots from pick 16 to pick 11 to draft Chris Olave and pundits think they had a good draft. Mickey Loomis went crazy over Olave.

I like Olave too but not so much that I'd give up a 1st, a 3rd and a 4th to get him.
After my initial disappointment with the draft, it's over now, they are all Patriots and we will see what happens.

I genuinely have no idea how anyone can grade a draft before any of the draftees have taken a single NFL snap.

So much of someone's career is about luck and the culture of the organisation; David Carr could probably have done a lot better in a team with better coaching and (obviously) a decent O Line. How well would Tom Brady have done at the Lions? I honestly don't know.

That's not a knock on Brady and his talent/work ethic, but cultural fit and coaching really, really matter.
Careful...being rational and making sense doesn't always fly with everyone around here...

With the 21st pick in the 2022 NFL draft the NE Patriots select Cole Strange OL, Jack Jones CB, Bialey Zappe QB and a 2023 3rd round pick. I think they did well.
Holy Crap-inski!!!! I never thought of it this way. Cripes, that's an incredible haul.

I told you that you could have very good posts if you stopped drinking.
But you spelled organization wrong.

Here's how it works. Some guys say this player is the 60th best player in the draft. Then they turn out to be totally wrong and he's drafted at 120. These guys and their followers never say, "Huh, I guess we were wrong. This player wasn't as good as I thought," No, they judge the draft based on the idea that their assumptions were 100% correct, and the NFL GMs who interviewed the player after having their scouts follow him through college, and who know what they want to accomplish football-wise are wrong.

"Coach X is a genius. He waited until pick 120 to select him and got a steal. THe other 31 NFL GMs who didn't draft him where we thought he should go are losers. The GM [who by the way still didn't draft player where Mel Kipers thought he should go] is a genius for taking him."

Worse are the idjots who take the rankings as a tablet of 256 draft-commandments, handed down to mock drafters from heaven. "Ha ha. Your coach picked a guy two rounds before Mel Kiper said he should go. You coach is a moron. My coach pick a guy two rounds AFTER Mel Kiper said he should go. My coach is a genius,"

And they will attack anyone who thinks this is a tad nutso.

By the time your 3 years have passed, and the draft can be evaluated, everyone has forgotten those mock drafts and are in love with the mock drafts for the current year.

Here's how it works. Some guys say this player is the 60th best player in the draft. Then they turn out to be totally wrong and he's drafted at 120. These guys and their followers never say, "Huh, I guess we were wrong. This player wasn't as good as I thought," No, they judge the draft based on the idea that their assumptions were 100% correct, and the NFL GMs who interviewed the player after having their scouts follow him through college, and who know what they want to accomplish football-wise are wrong.

"Coach X is a genius. He waited until pick 120 to select him and got a steal. THe other 31 NFL GMs who didn't draft him where we thought he should go are losers. The GM [who by the way still didn't draft player where Mel Kipers thought he should go] is a genius for taking him."

Worse are the idjots who take the rankings as a tablet of 256 draft-commandments, handed down to mock drafters from heaven. "Ha ha. Your coach picked a guy two rounds before Mel Kiper said he should go. You coach is a moron. My coach pick a guy two rounds AFTER Mel Kiper said he should go. My coach is a genius,"

By the time your 3 years have passed, and the draft can be evaluated, everyone has forgotten those mock drafts and are in love with the mock drafts for the current year.
And the genius coach is magically not the idiot he was 2 rounds ago for not taking said player.

Brilliant take, seriously. Kudos to you

G: COLE STRANGE, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

HM: Luke Goedeke, Tampa Bay | Jamaree Salyer, Los Angeles Chargers

While Dante Scarnecchia is no longer the Patriots' offensive line coach, the team's track record of developing offensive linemen lives on. Strange offered as good developmental tools as existed for a versatile interior lineman in the class. His explosiveness will come in handy during New England’s often movement-based run concepts.

OFFENSE

QB: SAM HOWELL, WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

Honorable Mention: Malik Willis, Tennessee Titans | Bailey Zappe, New England Patriots

Shirley, you can't be serious. His drafting record says hello.
Tom Brady (multiple league and Super Bowl MVPs), Deion Branch (Super Bowl MVP), Richard Seymour (NFL HOF), Julian Edelman (Super Bowl MVP) and Matthew Slater (five time 1st team All-Pro) all say hello to you.

So do Vince Wilfork, Rob Gronkowski, Devin McCourty, Jerrod Mayo, Dont'a Hightower, Ty Warren and Jimmy Garoppolo. And Logan Mankins and Matt Light and Sebastian Vollmer and David Andrews and Joe Thuney and Shaq Mason and Patrick Chung.

Malcolm Butler and JC Jackson and Jacobi Meyers don't say hello - they were UDFAs and were signed after the draft.

Last edited:

The Patriots traded their 21st pick to the Kansas City Chiefs for picks 29, 94 and 121.

the Patriots selected Cole Strange OL, Jack Jones CB, Bialey Zappe QB and got a 2023 3rd round pick for moving back 8 spots.

Look at the # of good players on the Patriots the last couple of decades, and those on the Bills, and then realize for 20 years more often than not the Patriots picked # 31 or #32, and two years had a first round pick taken away so that our first pick in the draft was #64. More often than not the Bills picked in the top ten and STILL could not draft up a decent team.

The Bills seem to go after Big Name players so it;s natural you confuse going for the guy Mel Kiker says is good, as opposed to going for players that help the Patriots team overcome injuries and stay competitive year after year after year. In spite of drafting after almost every other team in the league almost every year, the Patriots has been one of the best teams in the league over the last two decades, and we did it with smart drafting of middle class players. In 2004, for instance, we overcame the loss of Ty Law and RIchard Seymour (almost all game) because of BB's astute drafting and use of Free Agency.

It was Bills drafting that led to you back-to-back division titles in 30 years, compared to so many trips to the superbowl for the Patriots I honestly lost count.

The Patriots traded their 21st pick to the Kansas City Chiefs for picks 29, 94 and 121.

the Patriots selected Cole Strange OL, Jack Jones CB, Bialey Zappe QB and got a 2023 3rd round pick for moving back 8 spots.
He's not impressed. If three of those four players we got go to the probowl, he'll still laugh at the Pats for not picking the shiniest, most overhyped self-centered player in the draft. And of course, point to the player who didn't make the probowl, but...

...not only is it better to be feared, it's better to be in the heads of fans of other teams.

Last edited:
Back