The non-political Coronavirus thread

I'm eligible for my first shot in a few weeks based on the fact that I'm turning 65.

I've done nothing about trying to qualify early even though I could've done so, but
I'm OK with waiting no matter how other folks handle their situation.

My neighbor yelled over to me that other day to mention he'd just had his shot.

He was out on his deck having a smoke and told me ( not that I asked) that he got his dose
early because he smokes and has COPD. "Good for you", I responded sarcastically. The guy doesn't
have the sense God gave a pine cone. He thinks it's perfectly fine that his own addiction
makes somebody else have to wait, but I have to admit that the system is ripe to be
exploited the way they have it set up.

Maybe I'm the sucker.

At this point, I won't be getting it.. on the advice of doctor. I suffer from an immune-based neurological disorder. Thankfully, due to some miraculous drugs its under control and has been for over 20 years.. I have no symptoms.
But, my neurologist suggests waiting a bit until more is known about how this interacts with people like me. I am going to see him in May. Time will tell. I haven't had a flu shot in 20 years for the same reason... haven't gotten the flu in that time.

At this point, I won't be getting it.. on the advice of doctor. I suffer from an immune-based neurological disorder. Thankfully, due to some miraculous drugs its under control and has been for over 20 years.. I have no symptoms.
But, my neurologist suggests waiting a bit until more is known about how this interacts with people like me. I am going to see him in May. Time will tell. I haven't had a flu shot in 20 years for the same reason... haven't gotten the flu in that time.
I never had a flu shot ever. Never will either. Or this biometric jab...

I am not getting it even when I am eligible. I had a flu shot ONE TIME (2008?0 and that was the last time I got the flu.

Well 2 weeks ago I got engaged. To the day. That following Saturday my fiancé spends all night coughing all over me. She tests positive for Covid on that next Monday the rapid was negative but doesn’t get the results of the accurate one till Friday a week ago and it turned out she’s got it. I started feeling bad on Tuesday but get tested last Friday and it came out negative the rapid and the more accurate one that takes a few days. I’m still feeling pretty bad. Tried to clean out the garage and could barely finish. I’m gonna go get tested again tomorrow. I don’t see how I can’t have it.

We’ve been quarantined since Friday outside of my getting a test. Haven’t even started my truck. Luckily we have some relatives bringing us groceries.
It sucks feeling this bad and getting a negative test.

Well I went in today and tested negative again. I got the deep swab too........... whew they definitely get way up there.

This whole thing really makes me wonder. How can I live and sleep with someone who’s sick as hell with Covid, coughing all over me, then I feel bad all week, and I still test negative?

I was almost wishing I’d test positive to justify all this time spent at home. Jeez a week at home with a bored woman who hates seeing me sit down, yet we aren’t supposed to be around people. I’m going insane.
After all these negative tests can I give up the quarantine? I’m feeling better. My girl is still testing positive though? She had her last test last night. They won’t let her back into work without showing negative.

I never bought into this BS, I definitely don’t now, but I’m not trying to kill an older person either.

Well I went in today and tested negative again. I got the deep swab too........... whew they definitely get way up there.

This whole thing really makes me wonder. How can I live and sleep with someone who’s sick as hell with Covid, coughing all over me, then I feel bad all week, and I still test negative?

I was almost wishing I’d test positive to justify all this time spent at home. Jeez a week at home with a bored woman who hates seeing me sit down, yet we aren’t supposed to be around people. I’m going insane.
After all these negative tests can I give up the quarantine? I’m feeling better. My girl is still testing positive though? She had her last test last night. They won’t let her back into work without showing negative.

I never bought into this BS, I definitely don’t now, but I’m not trying to kill an older person either.
Maybe her test was a false positive and the two of you have the something else?

Well, first off hope you all feel better
Possibly you both have the flu. And her test is a false positive.

Well she had her first two tests Monday a week and a half ago. The quick which is less accurate was negative, but the one that takes a few days was positive. She took another test last night to get back to work which showed another positive. Most of her office is out with the corona virus including her partner.

I suppose it could be two false positives a week apart, but I’m pretty sure it was the corona virus given 60 percent of her office coming down with it.

And we each also tested negative for the flu.

Well she had her first two tests Monday a week and a half ago. The quick which is less accurate was negative, but the one that takes a few days was positive. She took another test last night to get back to work which showed another positive. Most of her office is out with the corona virus including her partner.

I suppose it could be two false positives a week apart, but I’m pretty sure it was the corona virus given 60 percent of her office coming down with it.
That is weird. They way they cycle the PCR test, when the test is wrong it is almost always a false positive rather than a negative.

And we each also tested negative for the flu.
I'm not sure what the flu test is, is it to the same degree of scrutiny as the Covid one? I can't imagine they are doing PCR for the flu but truly don't know. I don't know anything about % accuracy on that either.

Edit: Answered my own question: he CDC notes that rapid influenza testing has a sensitivity ranging from approximately 50% to 70% — meaning that in up to half of influenza cases, the flu swab results will still be negative.

Last edited:
Over the weekend I had a niece and her mother and boyfriend come down with the Rona. She and her boyfriend are social butterflies, were never socially distancing (which I believe in) and from pictures were rarely wearing masks. In Mass WTF, you guys are getting hammered again. Then Saturday night found out my father who is in a nursing home in ManchVegas has had the Rona and Pneumonia in his lungs since Tuesday. They have him on blood thinners, antibiotics and oxygen but he is not hospitalized. He has a couple of lower body aneurysms, so being on blood thinners if one were to let go, they say there is nothing they can do for him. Fingers crossed.
My father fully recovered before Christmas. A couple of weeks ago he received the vaccine and had been tired and in pain ever since. He was admitted to the hospital on Friday for fluid in the lungs and labored breathing. He passed last night. RIP to a hardworking MF. Taking the vaccine was the right thing in his situation, being in a nursing home, 90 years old and wheelchair bound. No matter your feelings on the vaccine it was his best option, you have to do what is best for your situation. During a pandemic, living in a petri dish is just about the worst case scenario.

My father fully recovered before Christmas. A couple of weeks ago he received the vaccine and had been tired and in pain ever since. He was admitted to the hospital on Friday for fluid in the lungs and labored breathing. He passed last night. RIP to a hardworking MF. Taking the vaccine was the right thing in his situation, being in a nursing home, 90 years old and wheelchair bound. No matter your feelings on the vaccine it was his best option, you have to do what is best for your situation. During a pandemic, living in a petri dish is just about the worst case scenario.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Back