The non-political Coronavirus thread

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I've been back full time for awhile now and been able to get a pretty good grasp of some of the political climate and timbre.

This thread might be a spectacular failure, but I thought it was worth a shot as this virus has affected all of us in so many ways. It it fails, please accept my apologies and I'll get rid of it or move it. But I need your help to keep this thread away from upsetting people.

So, I am not looking for any debate in here. More of a "how has it affected you?" A place to talk about it's effect on your life both the good and the bad. Maybe some of your concerns.

What I don't want in here is debate about it's lethality. Or debates about how serious it should be taken. Or what the government or other organized crime organizations should do. No articles referencing statistics about comorbidity factors.

Does that make sense?

No, I would like this thread to be far more personal. Talk about you. Not what that lady in pajamas at Wal-Mart did with her chin diaper. Not for criticism of others. It has become a highly charged issue, and that is a shame, but it is so pervasive in our lives, that I felt we should have a place to talk about how it affects us.

I'll start with a little. I have been working from home since the middle of March and I work for a stuffy old company that didn't like people working from home. One great positive for me is they saw how well this can work and the culture may be changing. I am home through at least the end of the year. I am hoping for more. I LOVE working from home. The isolation has not affected me personally at all. I love it. But I understand how it can be difficult for others. I now tend to stock up on supplies more than I did in the past as I think its only prudent with all the uncertainty ahead. Not full prepper yet, but I don't think I will ever be week to week again. Because of the extra time in my day without a commute, I have been able to get myself in better shape. I have a lot more things delivered and I use a lot of curbside pickup because its so damn convenient.

How about you?

I too have been working from home since I came back from maternity leave in May. It had been the best thing ever. I get to be home with my baby everyday! Also, like you UT our company did not like us working from home and that is now changing. They are even working on figuring out what jobs can be done from home going forward. We are home until April 2021 as of now.
Thankfully, the baby doesn't have much stranger anxiety stuff people are always worried about, even though the first 3 months of her life were in isolation pretty much lol
THANK GOD for video chats though!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Wearing masks are for pussies.

Actually we have 5 Patriots masks. Our wife made 2 and we got 3 more for our birthday.

Wearing masks are for pussies.
:mad:

We are home until April 2021 as of now.

Oh, that's wonderful. I hope more and more companies consider transitioning to a remote workforce. I would consider moving to the middle of nowhere .... well, MORE the middle of nowhere than I am already, if I knew remote work could be permanent.

:mad:

Oh, that's wonderful. I hope more and more companies consider transitioning to a remote workforce. I would consider moving to the middle of nowhere .... well, MORE the middle of nowhere than I am already, if I knew remote work could be permanent.
Yes! We have been looking for a house with alot of land not in the city, but the commute. If I don't have a commute, or even only have to do it twice a week I'm up for moving wherever! It's a game changer for us!

Yes! We have been looking for a house with alot of land not in the city, but the commute. If I don't have a commute, or even only have to do it twice a week I'm up for moving wherever! It's a game changer for us!

Agreed. I'd love to get a large plot of land away from everything. I don't mind driving an hour to the grocery store once a week or so.

We’re currently traveling in New England and so far have not had any issues other than a mask nazi on one of our flights. Having to fill out a form while staying in a hotel in Maine has been the toughest thing we have had to deal with so far. Even staying in Boston overnight was cake, as long as we had our masks on everything has been peachy.
1 more night in Maine (Freeport) to visit L. L. Bean and we head back to RI in the morning.
It’s kinda funny because I always assumed Alaska was one of the freeist states in the nation but I am not looking forward to having to deal with the clowns at the airport. We’ll see what happens when we get back I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being retired and living on Olde Cape Cod, thankfully hasn't required much life-altering efforting at all

The Cape overall has not seen Covid-19 adversely affect it's year round population health wise as much as other regions of the State

On the Lower/Outer Cape, being in our small town means people-sparce living, easier to take pandemic precautions making for less anxiety

Summer beach-going was effected by face masks making scanty beach garb way more prevalent as women realized an anomimity that loosened inhibition to exhibit the goods......or so I've been told :cool:;)

Exisiting on Social Security, modest savings and an over performing 401K is appreciated

Having to still stand in zombie-lines to gain entry to some establishments to spend this money is not

Overall, I have no reason to complain, but being olde allows me my crankiness

Which, now I think onnit, I would still exhibit cranky, pandemic or not I guess :)

Agreed. I'd love to get a large plot of land away from everything. I don't mind driving an hour to the grocery store once a week or so.
That’s my retirement objective.

Small ranch as a home base. REMOTE. Preferably off grid. I’m an electrician. Give me a river or stream, some wind, and the yellow marble and I’ll make it work.

RV for many extended travels to see as much of this great country as I can.

Working from home since March, I love it. I do not have any adverse affects from it. We are scheduled to go back to work in November for 2 days a week but with the numbers climbing in MA I wonder if that will happen. I have been walking with my wife every morning for about 3 miles a day instead of commuting to MA from NH which has been great. Hiking on weekends etc. I feel for all of the bars and restaurants that have suffered but we have been getting take out to try and keep them afloat.

Being retired and living on Olde Cape Cod, thankfully hasn't required much life-altering efforting at all

The Cape overall has not seen Covid-19 adversely affect it's year round population health wise as much as other regions of the State

On the Lower/Outer Cape, being in our small town means people-sparce living, easier to take pandemic precautions making for less anxiety

Summer beach-going was effected by face masks making scanty beach garb way more prevalent as women realized an anomimity that loosened inhibition to exhibit the goods......or so I've been told :cool:;)

Exisiting on Social Security, modest savings and an over performing 401K is appreciated

Having to still stand in zombie-lines to gain entry to some establishments to spend this money is not

Overall, I have no reason to complain, but being olde allows me my crankiness

Which, now I think onnit, I would still exhibit cranky, pandemic or not I guess :)
Perk to the anonymous of a mask: more g-strings.

perfect. Especially for the buttah-faces.

I had this darn thing and it was fairly mild for me. I have a follow up appt with my amazing doc this morning.

Weird thing is nobody else in my world had it or caught it.

My best friend Jo has been laid off since March. She had some money so she took the time to take care of her 102 year old grammy and my dumbass. :)

We spent 2 weeks camping just the 2 of us. (OK actually a beautiful ex showed up one day too. :) )We spend a lot of time in nature and have not stopped getting together with friends down at the river from day one. None of us were scared. It was just an odd thing. Everyone would just show up after work and was it like any other summer down there.

NH has restrictions and Concord has a mask mandate, but I don't really care if someone wants me wear a mask in their store right now. Don't really have much heart heart in that battle although the world does look strange right now.

But as for me personally, I work from home anyway, this hasn't had much of an impact. For Jo it has. Her Company is not recovering and she's looking for a new job.

My love, my ex Melissa and I talk often. She is a massage therapist. Doesn't just give massages, actually has a degree in it lol, has had her business cut in half by state mandate. She may have to close her doors because she has 11 pages of protocol to follow and she can only have = so many clients a day now. State mandated. I feel terrible for her and others like her.

Last edited:
Other then happy I have a job I can go to and somewhat covid proof, the only way it has affected me is for 2-3 weeks I was working extra when half a shift at work in another department got it and I had to fill in.
At least in this forum I can say.

Its been bad on my end. Our best friends husband died in July. We have known them for around 25 years. He got sick, like flue like symptoms. He went to doctor, they did not have quick results tests at that point, so he waited 3 days
and got results back, by that point he was really sick, he was checked into the hospital, and a day later was put on a respirator. He had a rebound where they were even thinking about taking him off the respirator, but he sadly passed away that night. He was 43. He worked at a local pharm company for 20 years. He left a 4 year old daughter and wife. I work as a Senior systems Manager at a school district, and its been awful. Not only the spread that has happened, but
also trying to keep kids going on distance learning. We have had a lot of cases, but school districts keep those pretty quiet. I have worked from home since March. We currently are doing Parent choice of sending their students in
or doing home learning. My wife and I are 49, she is a teacher for another school district, and its been pretty scary. Nobody wants things to get back to normal more than I, but I am not sure that will happen until
we get a vaccine that can control the spread a bit better. I know this is a hot bed of opinions, but I try to keep my family and everyone we come in contact with as safe as possible. I have read many stories of conflicting things, and frankly I
am not taking any chances. I have 3 grown kids and 2 grandkids and they are my life.

Oh that's awful P71, my sympathies. I knew when I posted there would be people that had some unfortunate experience with this virus. Thank you for sharing.

As with others, my last day in an office was 3/13. The owner of our small agency was hell bent against people working from home, if you needed to be home for any reason, you needed to use PTO or sick time. In the following 7 months, productivity is unchanged, he's not renewing the $15K/mo lease on an overly big office space and the earliest we'll return to any in-office work is after the new year. I love getting 2 hours/day of my life back and my 90 yr old mom does not want me going back. I know others in agency feel the same way. Best guess is that he'll rent a few cubes and begin to bring people back sometime next spring.

My wife has never left her office, the nature of substance abuse counseling does not afford that luxury. Her agency was saved by the PPP loan, received when she had just a few weeks of revenue left. They transitioned to more online counseling and groups, although that is less than ideal and she hates it. Her agency depends on the court system and she's seeing an uptick in referrals just in time because the PPP funds are nearing an end. If the courts have to close down again, she'll need another lifeline or possibly see a lifetime of work go under (just passed their 25th year in business).

On the virus front, my mother lost her cousin early on, a nursing home victim, and one of my wife's good friends lost both in-laws. My wife almost lost her sister who got caught in the Arizona surge. She spent 4 days in the hospital, 2 in ICU. She still has lingering effects 3 moths later, but having more good days than bad. One of my wife's office workers was diagnosed in May, she had to shut down for 5 days, but no one else in the office tested positive.

We've been enjoying outdoor dining, slowly moving indoors, but choosing our spots. Going to places when we know they won't be busy. In June, we began getting together with a few people who we know are taking the virus seriously and doing the simple things starting with masks.

Stay safe everyone.

We had someone in our dept who had it. He was sick, but only for a few days. His wife had it and was asymptomatic except for losing her taste/smell for a short time. Their young kids never got it. We all had to be tested due to exposure to him , and none of us had it. Know a guy in his 70s who is the sole caretaker for his live-in girlfriend who is extremely immune compromised and dependent on him. He got it and she never did.

Hasn't been too bad. I was working at the hospital...lost that job because I had to show up to court TWICE for drunk in public and disorderly conduct. I was drunk...not in public though. Actually called 911 because something was off. I suffer the repercussions of a traumatic brain injury....so I have seizures occasionally. Went the 1st date no one showed up so they rescheduled and again no one showed up. Case dismissed. BUT lost my job from that. And pretty much January 1st when my lease is up it's back to being homeless again...was previously for 5 years...whatever I'll get by but bad timing with covid going on and winter...won't be too much fun. But as far as covid it felt good working at the hospital...got plenty of free masks lol pay isnt good $10 BUT I got by and ate good....extra 40 lbs.

Back