The non-political Coronavirus thread

My wife is an elementary school special education teacher. So her profession went to hell in a handbasket in mid March. It’s next to impossible to get special needs students to focus when you’re standing right in front of them and completely impossible on zoom calls. That is, when you can get your parents to have them even participate remotely. Unfortunately, in many school districts it is the lower socio economic status parents that have more special education needs and quite frankly, as mean as this sounds, they are not as willing to work to get their kids what they need.

Her school district is somewhat rural and they went back face-to-face the Tuesday after Labor Day. It is still been a tremendous challenge for her given the requirements for masks and social distancing etc. At 55 years old and 30 years in it is easy to see this has moved up early retirement date thinking.

I have worked from home since 2010 and the rest of my company went remote about the third week in March. For me it has been 50% the same and 50% completely different, professionally. I am in high-tech sales and while all my clients are quite willing to meet virtually, it does have an impact on my ability to build relationships and establish camaraderie with potential clients and even my long-term clients. I can feel some of these relationships slipping without the in person meetings.

All three of my children are in college and two of them are home working remotely. They hate it. My youngest (our daughter) is living in East Lansing at her sorority house. Michigan State is a barren place right now as
dormitories are almost completely empty 100% of the classes have gone online. Still, I’m glad that she’s up there experiencing some part of the college life as a sophomore.

Like others on here, my mother is in a nursing home and we have been unable to visit her except through her closed window since March. It is tough to watch her decline cognitively. I’m positive that in person visits would help her stay more aware.

We have been meeting with financial advisors (remotely) to try to determine if we can make the jump to retire. I’m going to be 52 and we have been saving our pennies and it may look like getting out in the next 12 months is a smart move considering the stress we are all experiencing from our careers. Much of this depends on where the country goes in terms of lockdowns and a return to normalcy.

Only one person in our wide circles has had Covid, the symptoms were mild and he’s in a category that is considered dangerous. He’s fully recovered. Other than that, we don’t even know anybody who has tested positive.

We have no fear of this virus at this point. Our concerns are 100% around what it is doing to society. A move south from Michigan is in the definitely cards.

I hope all is good for you and yours.
I tried retirement at 51. Moved the family to the GA coast, bought a nice boat, went fishing, played tennis and golf and such. It was great for a year then it got boring. So after a year and 8 months we were back up here in MA and back to work although at a slower pace. Now 20 years later I'm still working and enjoying it more than ever. I learned I had too much energy and drive & just wasn't ready for retirement.

Destroys fleas
Yes, it sure does. 100% of adult fleas are dead within a few minutes of exposure to the lather which makes them unable to breathe (clogs their spiracles aka 'noses')

Sadly, it won't kill or prevent the eggs from hatching so an effective spot-on flea treatment is still necessary. Bravecto is non-toxic and does a great job; Revolution does, too.
They have made Frontline and Advantage passe - good thing, too, since those purchased are usually counterfeit these days.

I tried retirement at 51. Moved the family to the GA coast, bought a nice boat, went fishing, played tennis and golf and such. It was great for a year then it got boring. So after a year and 8 months we were back up here in MA and back to work although at a slower pace. Now 20 years later I'm still working and enjoying it more than ever. I learned I had too much energy and drive & just wasn't ready for retirement.
Probably have a passion for what you do. Not just a good career and job but a true love or life’s calling to do the job. That’s very fortunate. And the message I’m trying to convey to my kids while they’re young, opportunistic, and unburdened with the financial requirements of life.

Yes, it sure does. 100% of adult fleas are dead within a few minutes of exposure to the lather which makes them unable to breathe (clogs their spiracles aka 'noses')

Sadly, it won't kill or prevent the eggs from hatching so an effective spot-on flea treatment is still necessary. Bravecto is non-toxic and does a great job; Revolution does, too.
They have made Frontline and Advantage passe - good thing, too, since those purchased are usually counterfeit these days.
He’s only had one bout with fleas. About 2 years back. He’s 7 now so it was a good run.
So I was complaining about it to a friend I ran into at a gas station filling up. Some scratchy old guy overheard and says “Wash ‘im in that Dawn soap.” I look at my buddy and laugh a bit. But went home and set up his tub. We use Dawn dish soap anyways, so I had it. Wash him. My jaw dropped when the guy got out of the tub. Incredible. He’s worn the Sorresto collar ever since. No more problems.

He’s only had one bout with fleas. About 2 years back. He’s 7 now so it was a good run.
So I was complaining about it to a friend I ran into at a gas station filling up. Some scratchy old guy overheard and says “Wash ‘im in that Dawn soap.” I look at my buddy and laugh a bit. But went home and set up his tub. We use Dawn dish soap anyways, so I had it. Wash him. My jaw dropped when the guy got out of the tub. Incredible. He’s worn the Sorresto collar ever since. No more problems.
Seresto collars are effective, too. I worry about their use on dogs around young children though.
Dawn works best bc it has the most surfactants but just about any dish detergent will work.

Seresto collars are effective, too. I worry about their use on dogs around young children though.
Dawn works best bc it has the most surfactants but just about any dish detergent will work.
Close to 19 and 15. And they’re too busy to interact. He follows my wife around like a shadow - she gives him a nibble of cheese. He jumps from a dead sleep now anytime he hears the deli packaging. At night he’s the 70lb hairy cinder block in my lap.

Dawn worked great ( bad infestation early summer here but noticed the doggies skin starts flaking...?
Have them on 3 month pill called provecto (sp) since. Works great.

Congratulations! Retirement at 51 with options that you took means you were highly successful and saved your pennies.

They didn’t disclose cause of death.
21 yr olds athletes don’t just drop.
Usually no mention is a sign of self inflicted. The family is already going through the tragic loss. No need to compound things by trying to explain it away.
He was in my office Monday.

Usually no mention is a sign of self inflicted. The family is already going through the tragic loss. No need to compound things by trying to explain it away.

So so sorry for that family....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I am so very sorry.

Back