The non-political Coronavirus thread

Had my first COVID vax Friday, btw. Pfizer. Wasn't my choice but you get what you can.
No reactions at all and feeling just fine.
My wife and I got our first (Phizer) last week and aside from injection site soreness the only thing I noticed was we had to go to bed early that night. I felt unusually tired that night and a bit the next day. It's the only flu-type shot I've ever taken.

I'll try to keep this non-political, but will allow that my wife had just broken down crying a while back due to extreme frustration with trying to navigate the state (Mass.) registration site and that isn't her. I was riled up. She'd been getting up in the middle of the night to try to get in and was just worn out. The way we ended up with appointments was through a tip from a friend to check out the Randolph town website and we got quick appointments through them. That seems to be a common theme around here. You're lost in the shuffle until a friend gives you some info that the herd doesn't know about and you share it with your friends in turn.

You'd think that the state would have coordinated the appointments under their system, but that was not our experience. The state site simply sucks, imo. It is
loaded with inadequate capacity, inaccurate/slow updating and numerous blind alleys and people have found their own way to get shit done rather than wait for the Government
to do something sensibly.

As an aside, Randolph had a big parking lot set up with volunteers and checkpoints and we were given the shots by Holbrook firefighters as we sat in our car. It
was well organized and easy.

Since we were on blacktop on a warm spring day and the Jakes were working out of coolers, I did wonder why we heard about required super-cold refrigerators that "only hospitals would have", but apparently that wasn't necessary. If anybody knows more about the particulars on that, then please share.

Since we were on blacktop on a warm spring day and the Jakes were working out of coolers, I did wonder why we heard about required super-cold refrigerators that "only hospitals would have", but apparently that wasn't necessary. If anybody knows more about the particulars on that, then please share.

A brief search turned up this, but I am sure there is more specific information available:

• Vaccine may be thawed in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
  • Refrigerator: Between 2°C and 8°C (36°F and 46°F)
    • Unpunctured vials can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 120 hours (five days).
  • Room temperature: Up to 25⁰C (77⁰F)
    • Unpunctured vials may be held at room temperature for up to 2 hours (including thaw time).
  • Using either thawing method, vials must reach room temperature before dilution and must be diluted within 2 hours, or returned to the refrigerator.
  • Do NOT refreeze thawed vaccine.

My wife and I got our first (Phizer) last week and aside from injection site soreness the only thing I noticed was we had to go to bed early that night. I felt unusually tired that night and a bit the next day. It's the only flu-type shot I've ever taken.

I'll try to keep this non-political, but will allow that my wife had just broken down crying a while back due to extreme frustration with trying to navigate the state (Mass.) registration site and that isn't her. I was riled up. She'd been getting up in the middle of the night to try to get in and was just worn out. The way we ended up with appointments was through a tip from a friend to check out the Randolph town website and we got quick appointments through them. That seems to be a common theme around here. You're lost in the shuffle until a friend gives you some info that the herd doesn't know about and you share it with your friends in turn.

You'd think that the state would have coordinated the appointments under their system, but that was not our experience. The state site simply sucks, imo. It is
loaded with inadequate capacity, inaccurate/slow updating and numerous blind alleys and people have found their own way to get shit done rather than wait for the Government
to do something sensibly.

As an aside, Randolph had a big parking lot set up with volunteers and checkpoints and we were given the shots by Holbrook firefighters as we sat in our car. It
was well organized and easy.

After fooling with the state covid site for weeks I got a tip to call the 211 phone number at the bottom of the page.
I left a voice msg with info and was told I'd get a call back within 2 weeks.
The call came that afternoon from a live person and she had an appt for me in Marshfield 2 days out.

Had my 2nd Friday and after 24 hrs had arm soreness, chills and light headed along with the general fatigue everyone notices.
No work missed like with Moderna - I had Pfizer.

So most of you have probably heard about the problems the Astrazeneca vaccine has had in Europe with blood clots. So here in Canada our government said it was safe, then the CBC had scientists and a doctor come on and say it was safe, so I posted on my Facebook that it's safe to all my friends.

Then yesterday our governments are like "Yeah, we're gonna pause giving it out because it might not be safe.."

giphy.gif

This is frustrating beyond words. If you weren't %100 sure it was safe DON'T F**KING SAY IT'S SAFE! It's hard enough to combat all the misinformation out there (I'm not getting political on that BTW misinfo is coming from both sides.) without you idiots making a mistake this huge.

I just want this shit to be over.

Sorry. I don't have any non-political thoughts about this topic. Politics is smeared over every inch.

Apologies.

Cheers

Oh, I agree with you, but I do at least attempt to stick with the suggested direction of a thread by it's author and vented some in the other forum.

It's really hard to not bring up the topic without stumbling over something that is political, but, unlike practically every other aspect of
American life I really don't notice anybody cheering for the tremendous job Massachusetts is doing, so I figured I could get away with
saying the State sucks without any Donkeys vs. Elephants squaring off.

So far, so good.

A brief search turned up this, but I am sure there is more specific information available:

• Vaccine may be thawed in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
  • Refrigerator: Between 2°C and 8°C (36°F and 46°F)
    • Unpunctured vials can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 120 hours (five days).
  • Room temperature: Up to 25⁰C (77⁰F)
    • Unpunctured vials may be held at room temperature for up to 2 hours (including thaw time).
  • Using either thawing method, vials must reach room temperature before dilution and must be diluted within 2 hours, or returned to the refrigerator.
  • Do NOT refreeze thawed vaccine.

Thanks!

I clearly recall hearing early on that the Phizer stuff was to be stored in refrigerators that were well below zero fahrenheit, but never heard what happens as it is thawed for use. If temp is
so key in the process then I thought it was pretty sketchy to be trying to regulate that with what appeared to be a normal tailgating cooler, but I concede that perfection is probably not reality in any vaccine site. I do hope the Holbrook Fire Department was on top of their game, but.....at some point you have to trust somebody knows what they are doing.

Day 2 after Johnson & Johnson. Arm is still a tad sore. I had some muscle aches yesterday morning when I woke up. When I got home from work I was too tired to get off the couch and go for my daily run. I seemed to get a bit of the chills both nights around bedtime but then felt fine in the morning. This should be the last day of this.

Vaccine Tracker Update-April 5
Time to 75% vaccination at current rate
USA 3 months
Chile 4 months
UK 5 months
Canada 10 months
Brazil 10 months
EU 1 yr
China 1.1 yrs
World 1.8 yrs
Russia 1.9 yrs
Africa >10 yrs

The Jeopardy contestant died from the jab at 40 years old the other day. She's from Wisconsin. Oops...
Sara Holub.

BTW, I watched Aaron Rogers as host of Jeopardy! last night and thought he was really good.

For the final question the current champ had no idea what the answer was and wrote "Who decided to kick that field goal". Hilarious moment.

View: https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1379189000716574729

So I'm hearing that these vaccinations are estimated to be effective for six months. If so, that's a bit disappointing to me. I mean I guess if they're going to continue handing them out then it won't be that big of a deal for me considering I go to the doctor every six months anyway. I guess I was just expecting them to last longer than that. Then again I have no idea how long the average flu shot is good for either. :shrug-n:

So I'm hearing that these vaccinations are estimated to be effective for six months. If so, that's a bit disappointing to me. I mean I guess if they're going to continue handing them out then it won't be that big of a deal for me considering I go to the doctor every six months anyway. I guess I was just expecting them to last longer than that. Then again I have no idea how long the average flu shot is good for either. :shrug-n:

That's conservative since trials have only gone for 6 months so far. So AT LEAST 6 months. They're finding immunity is still strong at 6 months so it will likely go much longer.
Some have postulated life-long.

Separately, Pfizer-BioNTech said that the ongoing phase 3 clinical trial of its mRNA vaccine shows that strong immunization persists for at least 6 months among vaccinated individuals.

Researchers found that the vaccine was 100 percent effective against severe disease as defined by the CDC, and 95.3 percent effective against severe COVID-19 as defined by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

The vaccine was also found to be 100 percent effective against one of the main COVID-19 variants (known as B.1.351) currently circulating widely in South Africa.

A study that included 12,000 vaccinated individuals also found “no serious safety concerns” with the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, the companies announced.

“The good news is that in the 6-month status report from Pfizer, immunity stays very strong, and we anticipate that it will continue to stay strong,” said Bailey.

“These people [in the study] have had the vaccine the longest, and it tells us it lasts at least 6 months,” added Bailey. “But it’s definitely longer than that — it’s not just going to drop off after 6 months. I would have been concerned if efficacy had dropped by a third or half.”

The fact that COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness remained almost unchanged over the span of the study period is an indication that protection will be enduring.

Reactions: Alk
Back