Was last night the first time that it was confirmed that Widmore was a member of the "others"?

He and Ben are rivals. But I don't recall his ever being confirmed as an other until last night.

Yep, first time that's been confirmed.

I think that problem between Widmore and Ben stems from the fact that both Ben and Locke are confirmed leaders of the Others by Jacob. That apparently never happened for Widmore, and I bet that Widmore left due to either Richard or Ben's influence, hence why he's now trying to get back.

Some thoughts and insight from Dark UFO:

-Meeting some new (old?) Others. The reveal of “Jones” as Widmore was very well done. Even though his screen time was limited up to that point, he had managed to move to the top of my “people who need a good beatdown” list. Finding out it was Widmore just seemed fitting. The “Jones” nametag was enough of a decoy to throw me off for the most part, however the scene where John “chose” not to shoot him did stick out a little bit–as if it wasn’t really a choice at all, but a necessity to keep the time continuum from becoming even more out of whack. On a sidenote, it was weird that Widmore had a fake name on his coat (Jones) but the Other with the Cunningham coat was actually named Cunningham (we hear Widmore refer to him by name when he’s telling Richard what happened). I’m assuming they had taken these from the US soldiers they killed, so how nice for Cunningham to luck out and have a distant relative in the bunch.
We were also introduced to Ellie, which it seems may be the mysterious Eloise Hawking in her younger years. It’s not a stretch to assume that Hawking is also Faraday’s mother (given the hints from last week compounded by further evidence from this week’s scene between Des and 2008 Widmore). It’s turning into quite the family circus. Speculation about whether Faraday and Widmore are related (and thus Widmore and Hawking if Hawking does indeed turn out to be Faraday’s mom) is bound to ensue. Widmore could either end up as Faraday’s father or uncle (”Shut up, Ellie” sounded like something a brother would say). Could we possibly see Brother Campbell return in the near future? Along those lines, it seems to make sense that if Faraday shared what he knows about Desmond (he’s special, needs to get to the island, but has the ability to deviate from the rules, etc.) with people in the past (Hawking, Widmore, etc.), that this would explain why Desmond has been “steered” along his path by Hawking, Widmore, Brother Campbell, etc.

-Miles using his ghostbusting skills once more (for more than just scavenging boar carcasses).

-The return of Faraday’s mullet. When he told Ellie she looked familiar, I think it was to the woman in the Oxford picture, who may end up being his sister. It would make sense that his sister would look like a younger version of his mother. Plus, with Widmore being such a prick, why would he take care of the sick woman just because he felt responsible. Perhaps there’s more to it like he’s secretly her father. Who knows.

-A heavy dose of Alpert. After being deprived last season due to Nestor Carbonell’s casting in “Cane” on CBS, it’s good to see him in a more prominent role this year. It appears that Alpert indeed is very old. Given the time travel element to the show, I wasn’t so sure that his apparent lack of aging wasn’t really just him traveling through time and thus always looking the same age. Time to shoot that theory dead. It’s all clear now as to why Richard kept showing up in Locke’s life. Locke told him when he was to be born and that he’d eventually be their leader (per Jacob), so Richard followed up on it. I’d consider this an “answer”. As to why Richard doesn’t age, I guess we’ll have to stay tuned.

-The reveal of Widmore as Faraday’s benefactor.

-Da bomb. Faraday’s “bury it” suggestion makes me wonder if the burial site will end up being the hatch. We already know that the “limitless energy source” is really at the Orchid, so perhaps the purpose of the hatch is just to contain the h-bomb and it’s leaking radiation.

Except that the hatch has that electro-magnetic anomaly. I don't think that is explained by the h-bomb.

By the way, I LOVED the speaking of Latin. As a teacher of it, I love how beautiful it sounds. Similar to Italian (for obvious reasons), but in some ways even more lovely.

Except that the hatch has that electro-magnetic anomaly. I don't think that is explained by the h-bomb.

By the way, I LOVED the speaking of Latin. As a teacher of it, I love how beautiful it sounds. Similar to Italian (for obvious reasons), but in some ways even more lovely.

but what is to say that the electro magnetic field in the hatch isn't what is keeping the h-bomb from melting down? It just seems like a chance that seeing as the hatch was underground, and that Desmond went further down into the hatch to turn the key, and now we find out the bomb gets burried under ground, that these things may be related.

OK a few thoughts.

Finding out Widmore is an "Other", along with the time travel stuff, provides a possible answer as to why Ben couldn't kill Widmore when he confronted him last season.

At the time I speculated that it may have been a grandfather paradox situation, and what we've seen this season suggests that is probably pretty close to the explanation.

I suspect that both Ben and Widmore knew that Ben and he would "meet" at some future date and so they both knew he couldn't kill him then, as Faraday explained about the limits of time travel.

I didn't notice if anyone else mentioned this, or everyone had eagle eyes, but the bomb appeared to be placed right over the hatch.

I was getting a little tired of lost after last season, but this season is off to a great start. Looks like they're starting to tie together some of the loose ends. If the season continues like these first few episodes, I'm hooked again.

Actually, I think that the girl holding the gun on Faraday was Faraday's mother. She has the accent, and Faraday told her that she seemed familiar.

Great ironic twist.

Just finished watching it, and this is exactly what I was thinking.

It would also explain why Widmore financed Faraday's research. I mean, obviously Widmore has personal reasons for getting to the island, but if he and Farday's mother have a connection to the island.... Egads... What if Widmore is Faraday's father? Has there been any mention of his father? Lots of talk of mother, but not of father.

No, Juliette is not Dharma.

She was recruited after Ben had killed all the Dharma people.

Richard was present when she left the US to first travel to the Island. He had her drink that weird cocktail remember?

Richard is the only one of the Dharma era "others" that we know of. Ben was Dharma and we really don't know where the rest of the group we've seen came from.

Who knows how many people were brought in on the submarine before Locke blew it up.

As far as Richard not aging, I think that he's "unstuck in time" in a similar manner that we saw the rest of the cast do this week. He doesn't shift at the same time they do, don't ask me why, but if he bounced through time in the same fashion, what appears to be years for us could be months for him.

Sorry, I meant she's an "other". She's was with Ben. What I was pointing out was that she was brought to the island, so like the survivors, she's moving through time. So she's really not odd man out.

It would also explain why Widmore financed Faraday's research. I mean, obviously Widmore has personal reasons for getting to the island, but if he and Farday's mother have a connection to the island.... Egads... What if Widmore is Faraday's father? Has there been any mention of his father? Lots of talk of mother, but not of father.

Actually, I think that the abbot from Desmond's abbey may be Faraday's father. In season 2 or 3, when we see Desmond meeting the Abbot in his office, there's a photograph of Mrs. Hawkings on his desk.

Sorry, I meant she's an "other". She's was with Ben. What I was pointing out was that she was brought to the island, so like the survivors, she's moving through time. So she's really not odd man out.

Except that we don't know that she's the only one of the Others who was brought to the island.

Recall that Locke was with Richard and all the remaining Others when he shifted and they didn't.

We know that the Others could come and go from the island, so we don't know if or how many of them were brought to the island like Juliette.

but what is to say that the electro magnetic field in the hatch isn't what is keeping the h-bomb from melting down? It just seems like a chance that seeing as the hatch was underground, and that Desmond went further down into the hatch to turn the key, and now we find out the bomb gets burried under ground, that these things may be related.
Remember that Jack and Sayid were trying to explore the hatch, and a huge bunch of it was cemented in. Jack asked what was up, and Sayid says something like: "I haven't seen anything like this since Chernobyl."

Am I making that up?

Widmore needs the Island to get the sick women back to make he healthy

Actually, I think that the abbot from Desmond's abbey may be Faraday's father. In season 2 or 3, when we see Desmond meeting the Abbot in his office, there's a photograph of Mrs. Hawkings on his desk.

Looks like I was right. Faraday's mother is the young blonde woman keeping him captive in the past.

Young Widmore called her "Ellie". Faraday's mother's name is Eloise Faraday.

What a cool guess on my part :)

So, just curious.... Is one of the French guys Alex's father? And if so, what happened to all the guys? Were they killed by the others? Did they ever say what happened to the rest of the people who were shipwrecked with Rousseau?

So, just curious.... Is one of the French guys Alex's father? And if so, what happened to all the guys? Were they killed by the others? Did they ever say what happened to the rest of the people who were shipwrecked with Rousseau?

Robert is Alex's father, and he's one of those guys.

According to Rousseau, they "became sick", and she had to kill them.
Good times!

:toast:

I called both Claire/Kate and Jin being on the Board

the screaming sounded like Labor and Jin survived but Michael was allowed to die because he completed his mission with the explosives

Back