The Official Real Life Happens PP Member Support Thread

I just wanted to send out a quick note to all here. You probably won't see me around much for a while. On Wednesday night our boys were driving home and the roads became suddenly icey. Our youngest son lost control and the car rolled into the ditch. Our youngest son somehow was able to get out of the car and run to the highway for help. Our oldest son unfortunately didn't make it. This is just the most God awful pain that I have ever known and I honestly don't know how we're going to keep going but we have to for our son. He is still facing some surgery on his right hand and has a nasty contusion on one of his lungs but we are home after a long night at the hospital. All of the thoughts and prayers are much appreciated and needed. This is how we are going to heal.
There are no words that can be typed to ease your pain. I can't even begin to fathom what you are going through at this moment. Only someone who has gone through it can understand the unimaginable loss you are experiencing.

Just know that you and your family are in my thoughts and my heart aches for you.

I just wanted to send out a quick note to all here. You probably won't see me around much for a while. On Wednesday night our boys were driving home and the roads became suddenly icey. Our youngest son lost control and the car rolled into the ditch. Our youngest son somehow was able to get out of the car and run to the highway for help. Our oldest son unfortunately didn't make it. This is just the most God awful pain that I have ever known and I honestly don't know how we're going to keep going but we have to for our son. He is still facing some surgery on his right hand and has a nasty contusion on one of his lungs but we are home after a long night at the hospital. All of the thoughts and prayers are much appreciated and needed. This is how we are going to heal.
My God, that is awful and I cannot imagine the pain that you, your wife, and your entire family is going through.
My sister lost her only child to a car accident in broad daylight on a nice sunny day. A bee got into the car and his girlfriend freak out, he tried to swart the bee and lost control went off the road. His girlfriend had minor injuries but he died at 18 just 2 months after graduating from high school.
I didn't know what to say to my sister without it sounding cliche and I told her that. I just held her and told her I'd be there for her no matter what.
I don't have any word of comfort, but I do feel so very sorry for you, you wife, and your entire family.

I’m so so sorry, Alk. I don’t have the words.

Such terribly tragic news, Alk

At this time of such sorrow, you and your family hopefully will find solace in that your grieving is the last gift of love you all have to give to your lost son and brother

and that this outpouring of love, however painful now, will in time bring you all peace

I'm so sorry to hear this, Alk. That is terrible and my heart goes out to you and your family.

There are no words proper enough, no emojis or Gifs nor pictures that could even begin the express the extreme heartfelt devastation at your words, "Didn't make it."

Fuck!!!

I have no children. I have been through 3 rotten times with close friends.

There is absolutely no agony in this life that even approaches a comparison to losing your child.

Jesus.

I'm so sorry sorry man. This should never happen, it's just not right.

Do whatever you need to do.

I'm here 24 hours a day for anything need, even if it's just to yell and scream at the injustice of it.

I'm sorry just doesn't cut it.

Fuck.

I'm with you. 💔🖤

My prayer are with you and your family. There is little that is more difficult than the loss of a child regardless of the age. Just know that there are people out there that can and do understand the pain.

Alk, this is so unfair.
I read this thread a couple of nights ago and struggled with how to respond or even if to but I have to.
It is truly a nightmare losing such a beautiful soul ( I have been to the brag about your kids thread) and also found the write up on-line.
You raised a wonderful family.

So sorry for your loss. Know I mourn with you in thoughts.
But also know someday it will be an ache you can live with.

For me, I find a little comfort that your boys were togather so your oldest didn't pass alone.
Praying for your family.
God Bless

My prayers and best wishes go out to you and yours, ALK. My most sincere condolences.

I know that we don't agree at all about the jabs topic, but, I don't hate you. We just have different beliefs. Anyway, you never know when your time is up. We have to live our lives to the best that we possibly can. I don't have any kids (that I'm aware of ;) ), but, I would cherish the memories of your son. Remember all of them. The good, the bad...everything. Life is full of ups and downs. I watched a tribute documentary on Ronnie James Dio last night, and he said (paraphrased) the same thing. Remember all of it. Sorry for your loss...

So sorry to hear this... I Cant image the pain you must be feeling. You and yours will be in my thoughts.

~Dee~

The Black hole of mortality.

You know that I am probably too aware of and focus too much on my own age. I am forever making little jokes about it in a self-deprecating sort of way (and stay off my lawn). Not looking for a lot of sympathy. Don't need it. But I have fallen of late into a black hole. Yesterday morning my favorite Aunt was found in her bed having apparently passed quietly in her sleep two or three days ago. She was just 5 years older than me and married my favorite Uncle Don, my Mom's baby brother, when she was 14 and he was seventeen (northern Vermonters do a mean impersonation of Ozarkians). Uncle Don passed eight years ago and that hit me awful hard, too. I have been so close to them, loved them both dearly, forever.

My wonderful cousin Jeff lost his beautiful wife marge just a month ago. She had run things at the Von Trapp lodge in Stowe for over thirty years. She made great friends everywhere she went. At her memorial service (in a small corner of Northern Vermont), nearly six hundred folks assembled. The kind and loving thoughts iterated by everyone were sublime. I loved Marge.

Lori has recently started to evidence extreme memory issues and the evaluation is (seemingly very slowly) underway. She has lost two friends since the start of '22 and right now 3 of her dearest friends are with cancer. Two are certainly leading to their passing and third is tbd.

So as I said, sympathy not required. This is but an inevitable stage of life. At every passing, words about wonderful memories are spoken. And that is part of where I am now. It is a time to remember and cherish so many wonderful things and people that have been my life. It's often sad and difficult. But it's beautiful in it's fashion.

Cheers, :hello:

Last edited:
No words of mine can ever express my sadness at this. May God have mercy on your family Alk. So very sorry.

Last edited:
I just wanted to stop in and thank you all so much for the well wishes. This is a time in our lives that I wouldn't wish on anyone (even a Jets fan). We have had an outpouring of support that I don't think we ever could have imagined. At times it has made it harder to hear just how many lives our son touched in his short 21 years of life but at the same time it gives us a great sense of pride & comfort. Probably a week after the accident we received a call from the highway department. One of the employees who happened to be a year older than our oldest son had found our younger son's ID. When he realized who we were he immediately went back to the site and found our older son's cell phone and by some miracle through the ice and rain it powered on. We were able to find the last picture of our two boys together that they took about 30 minutes before they headed home. We will treasure it forever. Our younger son had a follow up today and like we suspected, he will need surgery. Even with the first splint that they put him in he was still able to play his PC games which was a great escape for him. Today they took his old splint off and put on a much more restrictive splint so there is no way he will be able to play his games. He took that really hard. He will have surgery next week after the visitation & memorial. Hopefully that will go well and they will put him in a much smaller splint.

Attachments

• 321438569_544428731037950_4284659702500023128_n.jpg
    321438569_544428731037950_4284659702500023128_n.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I just wanted to stop in and thank you all so much for the well wishes. This is a time in our lives that I wouldn't wish on anyone (even a Jets fan). We have had an outpouring of support that I don't think we ever could have imagined. At times it has made it harder to hear just how many lives our son touched in his short 21 years of life but at the same time it gives us a great sense of pride & comfort. Probably a week after the accident we received a call from the highway department. One of the employees who happened to be a year older than our oldest son had found our younger son's ID. When he realized who we were he immediately went back to the site and found our older son's cell phone and by some miracle through the ice and rain it powered on. We were able to find the last picture of our two boys together that they took about 30 minutes before they headed home. We will treasure it forever. Our younger son had a follow up today and like we suspected, he will need surgery. Even with the first splint that they put him in he was still able to play his PC games which was a great escape for him. Today they took his old splint off and put on a much more restrictive splint on so there is no way he will be able to play his games. He took that really hard. He will have surgery next week after the visitation & memorial. Hopefully that will go well and they will put him in a much smaller splint.
Holy Moley. That is phenomenal beyond all reckoning. A great, great, happening.

Bless you and yours.

Back