The Official Real Life Happens PP Member Support Thread

Thinking about you and your daughter.

I have a friend whose son decided to enroll at Virginia Tech shortly after the massacre there, and my friend was OK with that. I thought about it, and decided they both had made a good decision.

The actions of the insane are unpredictable and seldom are correlated to the location where they occur. The shooting at MSU has nothing to do with the quality of the institution, and hopefully that will be evident to everyone after a little time has passed.
It appears the shooter had no connection to the university at all.

I am leaving shortly to go get Lil and bring her home until Sunday.

It appears the shooter had no connection to the university at all.

I am leaving shortly to go get Lil and bring her home until Sunday.
Sorry this happened. Hope there is a silver-lining in the unexpected time you now get to spend with her. Thinking of everyone involved.

Sorry this happened. Hope there is a silver-lining in the unexpected time you now get to spend with her. Thinking of everyone involved.
Thanks. We are having lunch. Nothing is open today in East Lansing so we are in Lansing.

I may try to get Lynn and Lil out of town somewhere for a long weekend. Get her away.

Last edited:
I haven't been posting for over a week. Last Friday I reported to the hospital, for a major aortic aneurysm surgery. The surgery started about 9AM and my wife and family got to see me around 630 PM.
The surgery itself is considered to be one of the biggest surgeries that they do. That was told to me by 2 doctors who weren't involved in the actual surgery. I spent 3 days in the ICU and 4 days in other hospital rooms. I came home this Friday, weak and very tired but recovering better than expected. It will be a long recovery but should be able to do most things in about 3 months. Looks like I should be able to play golf around May 1st.
What I found out is that I have been blessed more than any man can expect. Not just by my wonderful family, friends, business accociates, but by many people who I didn't have a clue cared about me. This team of doctors did a great job, the nurses and other health care workers were all outstanding. I wish that I could say hospital food prep but you would know that I would be lying.
Please keep sending your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes to Alk and his family as I do. They will need them for a long time.
Hey PP, my wife decided to fix hers after her mother and her sister almost died from this. I think I posted on it on here. It was determined she had a big bulge too.

She's walking 2-3 miles a day now, and vacuuming a who;e damn house. Glad you made it through. Wishing you same recovery as wifey had. I think it was like 2 months.

I can't help but think back to 1986 this day. Our first Valentine's since my wife and I were joined. It was a rainy night but we just went up the road to a great italian restaurant to have dinner. Her parents came, too.
Wonderful dinner. I had veal piccata.

Heading home just down the road, we were deciding if we wanted to go see a movie.
Then we were hit head on by a drunk driver.
I still feel the struggle in my left shoulder (dominant shoulder) today. We don't go out on this night. But I have my plans.

Real life happens to everyone. It's how you respond. JMO.

What I am thinking is not appropriate for this side of your board.
Time to create dinner.

Last edited:
I found a great deal. The ladies leave Thursday and come back on Sunday. I am not a MIA fan but Lilly was so happy to hear this. They are ruining the deal right now at the mall.

In all seriousness, I have a couple of thoughts about the events of last night at Michigan State University.

As I mentioned above, the murderer (not shooter) had no relation to the university at all. He was a mentally ill man that had been arrested for felonious possession of a handgun in 2019 and released for "equity" reasons with a misdemeanor conviction and probation by a Soros backed "prosecutor". Had he been properly convicted he would have very likely still been in prison and getting treatment/medication last night. 4 people would still be alive including him. I will stop here on this.

The thought I can't get all the way through in my mind is the phone calls. I knew of the situation within 13 minutes because I am signed up for alerts from campus. I was on the phone with Lilly within 15 minutes calming her and her housemates down. Eight other parents were also calling their kids. 3 of them never answered. How many times did they call? How many texts? How many to their kids friends and room mates? Can you imagine the rising panic as time passed? I can't. My mind won't allow it yet. This hurts. Damn.

The wife and I spent 5 hours or so listening to the live scanner broadcast of the police in East Lansing on my computer. This was a roller coaster of emotion as they searched and cleared building after building, dorm after dorm, street after street. MSU is HUGE. It is the largest land grant university in the country with over 50,000 undergrads on campus and in East Lansing. You can drive for for 2.5 miles in one direction on one street and not leave campus. HUGE. There were law enforcement officers there from all over including the university police, the East Lansing police, the Michigan State Police, the FBI, and at least a dozen other Ingham County departments. Over 250 units plus 2 choppers, many ambulances and fire trucks. I say all of that to say this: The MSU PD dispatcher is a HERO. Her name is Aimee Barajas. We all listened in awe as she calmly handled the traffic as it increased 10 fold over the 5 hours. She handled and directed hundreds of units. Never once did I hear a flinch. Never once did I hear a quiver. She handled all of the radio traffic, incoming calls about gun shots heard and injuries. She managed a huge event without warning and did it like a true professional. She was so good I was impressed through my own anxiety. I can't be the only one that recognized this and someday down the line there needs to be recognition from the University and community. I will drive up for it.

I'll stop.

Last edited:
I had my scare in Vegas, That dreadful night that person was picking off people. Daughter called me during all the commotion, scared as heck. rat rat rat rat. I heard it, It was the most terrified I have ever been. So I feel where you were. Grateful you baby made it thru it.
Thank you AOT. That had to be terrifying as well. I will never forget that night. So much is still unknown.

Hammer (Lil) was .8 miles from the initial shootings (although he would be fleeing down her street later that night). The best way to describe the fear I know is this: you can walk across a 2x6 on 6 inch blocks with out issue. Now take that same 2x6 and place it 50 feet in the air. Are you walking across? The latter is how you feel when a murderer is down the street.

She was exhausted and is asleep on the couch with Seamus. He knows too.

Hey PP, my wife decided to fix hers after her mother and her sister almost died from this. I think I posted on it on here. It was determined she had a big bulge too.

She's walking 2-3 miles a day now, and vacuuming a who;e damn house. Glad you made it through. Wishing you same recovery as wifey had. I think it was like 2 months.
Thanks. My surgeon told me that it would be likely that I would not see the leaves change color, if this was not found and fixed.
I'm doing well, as good as can be expected at this stage, still have a couple of months to go before I get back to close to normal.
Just grateful that it was found, and that the surgical team was so good at what they do. They are saying 3-4 months to reach close to normal activities.

Last edited:
From what I understand, a judge could have put this guy away for 5 years, but let him off.
My big scare was my daughter going to NYU grad school and working in a high rise office building one block from the WTC on 9/11/01. Won't get into what she saw on that day.
My sister worked in Manhattan for the NFL at that time and got off the train at WTC every day. I had the same scare, especially when we could not reach her for hours and hours.

From what I understand, a judge could have put this guy away for 5 years, but let him off.
My big scare was my daughter going to NYU grad school and working in a high rise office building one block from the WTC on 9/11/01. Won't get into what she saw on that day.
The Soros backed prosecutor chose to reduce the charge from a felony to a misdemeanor thus allowing the murderer to legally purchase the handguns. Felons can not own guns in Michigan. Facts. Stopping there.

We had another follow up for our son's hand. He got the all clear to lose the brace. Now to start working on getting some more mobility in those fingers. Those tendons are pretty tight right now so he isn't able to completely make a fist.

We had another follow up for our son's hand. He got the all clear to lose the brace. Now to start working on getting some more mobility in those fingers. Those tendons are pretty tight right now so he isn't able to completely make a fist.

Time for the various size squeeze balls

Back