The Patriots 2023 Off Season

The Pats waste no time. Big changes are coming for the coaching staff and the players. Let's get this right!

FmT3uUUX0AAUHLE

Hadn't thought of Charlie Weis, Jr. but his aggressive offense at Ole Miss under Lane Kiffin has changed that team's fortunes.
I notice he left out Chad O'Shea who spent 10 years coaching the Pats' offense.
Is Romeo Crennel available?
Asking for a friend...

I don't want to keep repeating myself, but Bill should pick up the phone and ask Paul Alexander if he has the itch to return to the NFL as his
Offensive Line Coach.

Alexander is a very interesting dude who has coached extensively at every level including 26 years in the NFL. He's 62 and has coached a
long list of all-pro O linemen. He recently decided to spend more time with his daughter, a pianist, so, he enrolled in a college course and became an
accomplished concert pianist who wrote a book about his experiences. He earned a master's degree in exercise physiology in 2012 and,
among many other diverse career accomplishments, was named to SI's "coaching dream team".

What I don't know about him is a lot, such as whether he and Bill know and/or like each other, but it stands to reason they do. Know each other. The
lifers all do. Whether he wants to get back to coaching in the NFL is completely unknown, because as far as I can tell nobody has asked him, but his
enthusiasm for the game is very high as anyone that has heard him talk about what he's seeing on NFL radio can attest.

Pick up the phone, Bill.

He's the HC of the Dresden Monarchs in Germany from what I understand. He was an OL coach in the NFL for 26 years, the Cowboys being his last gig 4 years ago.
He still pays attention as we know from his frequent interviews with Jim and Pat on Moving The Chains, SiriusXM, NFL channel.
If you didn't hear him last night he thinks Cincy's OL may be the weakest OL in the playoffs.

Is Romeo Crennel available?
Asking for a friend...

OUCH!!!!

Just remember -- don't look back because something might be gaining on you.

Best of luck in the 2023 playoffs, because next season isn't going to be quite
as magical for your guys.

There's a reason he's getting HC job interviews.
Mayo knows the game and he's a leader of men. He loves teaching the game. The players have bought into him 100%. They love the guy. Players know. Players talk.

Keep the defense great.

Asst. HC vs DC? I vote Asst. HC but my vote doesn't count.

OC for sure but both things can be done.

Not to be too cynical but is it at all possible that he’s being used to fulfill interview requirements. I’m sure it’s still good for him so he’ll do it but being invited to interview doesn’t mean he’s better than play-caller Steve Belichick. I see Steve as having as much potential as a DC as a young Kyle Shanahan as OC who came from his dad Mike Shanahan’s coaching tree….

If asst HC is in play would rather save this dry powder for Bill O’Brien who is far more likely to have better options the Patriots are competing with

Not to be too cynical but is it at all possible that he’s being used to fulfill interview requirements. I’m sure it’s still good for him so he’ll do it but being invited to interview doesn’t mean he’s better than play-caller Steve Belichick. I see Steve as having as much potential as a DC as a young Kyle Shanahan as OC who came from his dad Mike Shanahan’s coaching tree….

If asst HC is in play would rather save this dry powder for Bill O’Brien who is far more likely to have better options the Patriots are competing with
And who do you expect to replace him with? Matty P? Don't forget the Matty P defense was soft as puppy poop. Flores is the one who started bringing back the attacking defense. :coffee:

And who do you expect to replace him with? Matty P? Don't forget the Matty P defense was soft as puppy poop. Flores is the one who started bringing back the attacking defense. :coffee:

This is another angle why I’m not too anxious to overpay or blow the asst HC title to keep Mayo. Does anyone else remember the soft defense Mayo played on as field general as a player? Those were BB’s softest most frustrating defenses from 2009-2013 which could never get off the field on 3rd down. Steve Belichick was the play caller this season and did an excellent job. All the strengths of the defense were areas Steve Belichick led: outside linebackers, play calling, entire secondary…Makes no sense for SteveB to be Mayo’s “lieutenant”. There are already other charismatic defensive coaches who can fill the ‘vocal’ void - Covington has also been praised as the DLine coach and also the CB coach has done a fine job.

Have you now read any of the material on Mayo? Report: Jerod Mayo turns down defensive coordinator interview with Browns

Have you now read any of the material on Mayo? Report: Jerod Mayo turns down defensive coordinator interview with Browns

Yea I’m following it which is why I’m chiming up about it. I think Steve Belichick is the key to that defensive staff. Am waiting to see how much they overpaid for Mayo. Not convinced Mayo is the linchpin. He was inside linebackers coach. SteveB did everything else. They’re also only a year apart in age so makes no sense to me why people think Steve Belichick would be fine playing lieutenant. The actual play caller (Steve) is a far more valuable defensive staff member

For some context, Steve Belichick has been the defensive play caller since 2019. On no planet is a second guy who is not the play caller a more important staff member than the guy calling that unit’s plays. In 2019 the Pats until Thanksgiving looked like the 1985 Bears on defense for those forgetting. And to playcall a top5 defense with this year’s mediocre defensive talent was an elite job again by Steve Belichick . Oh and who coached breakout years for Uche and Judon - Steve Belichick.

2019 article:

For some context, Steve Belichick has been the defensive play caller since 2019. On no planet is a second guy who is not the play caller a more important staff member than the guy calling that unit’s plays. In 2019 the Pats until Thanksgiving looked like the 1985 Bears on defense for those forgetting. And to playcall a top5 defense with this year’s mediocre defensive talent was an elite job again by Steve Belichick . Oh and who coached breakout years for Uche and Judon - Steve Belichick.

2019 article:

Ever here of term synergy?

The sum is greater than its constituent parts?

They are both great at what they do, and they both know the game just from different perspectives.

Last edited:
Yea I’m following it which is why I’m chiming up about it. I think Steve Belichick is the key to that defensive staff. Am waiting to see how much they overpaid for Mayo. Not convinced Mayo is the linchpin. He was inside linebackers coach. SteveB did everything else. They’re also only a year apart in age so makes no sense to me why people think Steve Belichick would be fine playing lieutenant. The actual play caller (Steve) is a far more valuable defensive staff member
Well I have to say I have not read much from you that would indicate you have much of value to say on most team maters.

Mayo will be the next HC of the Patriots, bank it. Kraft loves him, the players listen to him, it will happen. I don't care if Steve or he is more important on defense, Mayo is a leader of men. When you see a defense down 22-0 at the half I call that bad play calling, when you see they don't give up and hold them scoreless in the 2nd half while scoring themselves, I call that Mayo lighting a fire under their ass. Just the fact that defense played hard to the bitter end of the season while the offense continued to let them down is a testament to his leadership.

Mayo will be the next HC of the Patriots, bank it. Kraft loves him, the players listen to him, it will happen. I don't care if Steve or he is more important on defense, Mayo is a leader of men. When you see a defense down 22-0 at the half I call that bad play calling, when you see they don't give up and hold them scoreless in the 2nd half while scoring themselves, I call that Mayo lighting a fire under their ass. Just the fact that defense played hard to the bitter end of the season while the offense continued to let them down is a testament to his leadership.
Yeah, I would not be surprised to see that at all. They all loved him when he was a player, and he came across as highly intelligent and coherent.

Love it.

Extremely risky to put all these accolades on a guy who has never been coordinator nor won a ring with massive coaching responsibility. But sure he’s very articulate and a good guy.

Back