The Patriots 2023 Preseason Thread - OTAs and Mini Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Jerry, but that error just before the last sentence is just effing foreboding! A rocky 2022, right? Not 2023?

:black-eyed:

I didn't notice that one until you pointed it out. I read some of the comment section and didn't notice any of the stoolies
providing any helpful proofreading tips, either. It seems they were more amused in skewering him for looking exactly like
Jamie Lee Curtis. The current version, not the one that stripped for Schwarzenegger back in the day.

Anyhow, I did enjoy his noting stuff that the other guys didn't, such as Ryland knocking the shit out of the ball through the
skinny posts, etc.

I like reading all the (mostly useless) observations that the other writers mention, but try to take it with a grain. For instance, last
Summer I figured all the doom and gloom over the Offense was exaggerated and things would straighten out over the first
month of the actual season, but it actually got worse.

Still, since I want to believe that Tyquan is going to be a fine player, I'll take yesterday's news as gospel and will concede that every
now and then you can learn a juicy tidbit from sifting through today's version of journalism.

He hasn't signed his rookie contract yet is the prevailing thought.

I saw a tweet that his school graduation is this week. If I recall correctly there's a rule that they can't attend OTAs until after they graduate.

:black-eyed:

I didn't notice that one until you pointed it out. I read some of the comment section and didn't notice any of the stoolies
providing any helpful proofreading tips, either. It seems they were more amused in skewering him for looking exactly like
Jamie Lee Curtis. The current version, not the one that stripped for Schwarzenegger back in the day.

Anyhow, I did enjoy his noting stuff that the other guys didn't, such as Ryland knocking the shit out of the ball through the
skinny posts, etc.

I like reading all the (mostly useless) observations that the other writers mention, but try to take it with a grain. For instance, last
Summer I figured all the doom and gloom over the Offense was exaggerated and things would straighten out over the first
month of the actual season, but it actually got worse.

Still, since I want to believe that Tyquan is going to be a fine player, I'll take yesterday's news as gospel and will concede that every
now and then you can learn a juicy tidbit from sifting through today's version of journalism.
I'm with you. Everyone is saying that Mac making a leap is a huge thing. But honestly, mid-2021 Mac is enough of a step forward if we have a good pass catching back and Thornton makes a leap and becomes one of the top 2-3 options.

Not true. Many get drafted as juniors in college.

Yep, meant to type if school was still In session, which usually ends with graduation. Looks like that rule was changed a few years ago.

Yep, meant to type if school was still In session, which usually ends with graduation. Looks like that rule was changed a few years ago.
The rule was known as the "May 16th Rule" and it did change 5 or 6 years ago; interestingly Oregon was one of the schools effected by the prior rule.

4th rnd pick Demario Douglas could become our next great slot receiver.

1. Douglas’ potential: Troy Brown was an eighth-round draft pick. Danny Amendola entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent. Julian Edelman was a seventh-rounder. All were under 6-foot and weighed less than 200 pounds. [Wes Welker is 5'9" and <200lbs.]

Could Demario Douglas, the Patriots’ sixth-round rookie out of Liberty, be next in line of underdog and undersized receivers to thrive in New England?

Former Liberty head coach Hugh Freeze, who recruited the 5-foot-8, 179-pound Douglas and watched him grow into a bona fide No. 1 option before being hired as Auburn’s new head coach in November, says he believes so.

“Y’all [the Patriots] have been great at moving those guys around and putting them in iso situations. I think that is his strength,” Freeze said of Douglas. “He could play for me right now at Auburn and start for us. He is the best, most quick-twitched kid at getting in and out of breaks that I’ve ever coached.

“He’s not the burner 4.27 guy [in the 40-yard dash], but his ... short-area quickness and his hands are phenomenal. If you watch the way he rolls out of breaks, it’s pretty darn special.”

“Double moves, he’s incredible at those,” Freeze said of Douglas, who totaled 131 receptions for 1,694 yards and 12 touchdowns over his past two seasons at Liberty.

“You’re probably going to have to play him inside and move him around; the catch radius on vertical seams could be an issue because you know he’s undersized. But on third-and-5, get him iso’d, he’s a handful to handle.”

The Patriots had a unique pre-draft opportunity with Douglas, who was at the East-West Shine Bowl in January and practiced with the West team coached by Troy Brown and other New England assistants.

“He has the natural ability to do it, and he has the work ethic. He’s a great teammate. Loves the game. Loves to practice,” Freeze said. “He’s so pleasant to be around, with no sense of entitlement. I can’t say enough good things about him.”

This kid understands leverage and has the strength to win a lot of battles.

View: https://twitter.com/NestPgs/status/1664690484357234688

This guy is vicious. He will sail close to the line, he'll cross the line at times. He has a huge chip on his shoulder too.

the-simpsons-mr-burns.gif

Today's Quick-Hits from Mike has some interesting points of what is to come

Good stuff and well worth a click.

I liked Tyquan's quotes that he wants "to be more strategic with his routes" and "to sell every route like it's a go ball". Yep.

In addition, Reiss points out that we only used pre-snap motion on 108 plays last season which was near the bottom of the league.

Now, maybe that was because we had more than enough problems just getting a non-penalized play off without introducing extra motion
to the equation, but it made me think of how we got quite a lift when Marcus Jones made a couple of big plays on Offense (among only 4 total touches) but
just his presence going in generated a ton of defensive response. They were definitely concerned with his speed and it created opportunities for his
teammates. This is what speed can do to transform your approach and why I advocate that our braintrust does everything it can to invest in our
Sophomore speed guys, Marcus, Tyquan and Pierre Strong and get them more heavily involved. This is one of the more compelling and exciting
aspects to the Summer program and I'll be keeping all crossable parts crossed and hope the Coaching staff agrees with me.

As an adjunct to that, I'm hoping that we can (situationally, of course) find a way to limit Marcus' defensive snaps so that he can get a lot more than 4
touches this season. Even if we don't need him as much, he's too good to not use him.

How much better would Mondre be if 8 guys on D weren't hunting him on every play? He had a great season in '22, but his overall effectiveness would
have been far greater if we could have used him as a counter rather than as our only viable weapon. That kid is all man, because he was about the only
dependable option we had despite the ridiculous predictability.

Also, the part about Jack Jones was encouraging to read. See link above.

Some new (to me) details on Keion White's work during last Wednesday's OTA session comes courtesy of Mike D'Abate of SI.

A brief sample:

Known primarily for his edge rush prowess during his time at Georgia Tech, White was a jack of all trades during the 90-minute session. The 6-4, 287-pounder aligned at outside linebacker, set in a three-point stance, rushed the passer, played the run, and even dropped into coverage as well.

This confirms some of the stuff we heard about how he was utilized in College and is an early indication that the Pats
are eyeing whether he can do some or all of those things in the Show.

It's a good piece worthy of a click. White's quotes are right out of Patriots Central Casting. Maybe the best ever from a rookie. This dude is serious.

Some new (to me) details on Keion White's work during last Wednesday's OTA session comes courtesy of Mike D'Abate of SI.

A brief sample:

Known primarily for his edge rush prowess during his time at Georgia Tech, White was a jack of all trades during the 90-minute session. The 6-4, 287-pounder aligned at outside linebacker, set in a three-point stance, rushed the passer, played the run, and even dropped into coverage as well.

This confirms some of the stuff we heard about how he was utilized in College and is an early indication that the Pats
are eyeing whether he can do some or all of those things in the Show.

It's a good piece worthy of a click. White's quotes are right out of Patriots Central Casting. Maybe the best ever from a rookie. This dude is serious.

i heard him interviewed before the draft and his attitude reminded me of Rodney's. i liked him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back