The Patriots 2023 Preseason Thread - OTAs and Mini Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck. Me. Really?

Kirwan is one of the savviest and least "look at meeeee" guys in broadcasting. If that dude, and Jim Miller,
who isn't exactly a scrub, think we're in good shape then that is good news.

The Patriots are quietly and stealthily building some steady buzz and are a decent bet to unleash pure
hell on the rest of the football world.

It's too early to know for sure, but the elements of this season have a real, viable, non-homer chance to be one of t
he funnest experiences of the entire Belichick era and I cannot wait.
Let us just hope the team can live up to these expectations.

I'm trying very, very hard to reel it in and not go overboard until we have some actual competition to calibrate our instruments,
but......this offseason has really checked just about every box I hoped for.

I'm sure I'll get fired-up at some point, but right now is not the time to go icky-balookey over somebody that supposedly looks
good before the pads even come out of winter storage. I'll probably wait for late August to let my fanboy flag fly free.

OTA season is for rubes.

Fascinating is a good word for this team, though, and completely appropriate for this point of the calendar.
We have all seen this before the press gets all wired up about something they preserved to be top of the line. Only to see it crash and burn once the pads go on.

I'm trying very, very hard to reel it in and not go overboard until we have some actual competition to calibrate our instruments,
but......this offseason has really checked just about every box I hoped for.

I'm sure I'll get fired-up at some point, but right now is not the time to go icky-balookey over somebody that supposedly looks
good before the pads even come out of winter storage. I'll probably wait for late August to let my fanboy flag fly free.

OTA season is for rubes.

Fascinating is a good word for this team, though, and completely appropriate for this point of the calendar.

Adding fuel to your fire

View: https://twitter.com/GeorgeBalekji/status/1666132694483316759

Last edited:
1 or the other but I'd choose Bourne because of all the routes when he ran into guys last year.

View: https://twitter.com/NestPgs/status/1667185690524758016

Why in hell Bourne over Parker. Don't blame the WR for the piss poor Offensive plan that Patricia drew up.
I get both sides to this, but I'd prefer to trade Parker and keep Bourne.

Bourne has greater volatility in his outcomes. I feel pretty confident in the offense's ability to get incremental workmanlike yards, and doubly so if Hopkins comes aboard. The ability to bust for YAC and big plays is much more questionable, both with and without Hopkins. It's Parker who is most redundant with Hopkins added.

Keeping both and adding Hopkins will vulture targets (and development) from Thornton, Douglas, & Boutte, further stunting big-play potential.

The only benefit to keeping both (apart from injury insurance) is the bump you'd get in comp picks after they walk in the offseason. And the comp picks would be taken into consideration when determining the trade value with a potential partner.

If Bourne is cut or traded - Hopkins or no - that says something wildly positive about Douglas and/or Boutte. Or that new kid from RI, I suppose.

By all accounts, Mapu blew everyone away at OTAs. Including earning an immediate handshake from Bill, and a walk off the field chatting one-on-one. Apparently he was...calling defensive signals and adjustments (!?!) and made a sick INT that would have been a pick-6 as well as another PBU that was a dropped INT.

If Bourne is cut or traded - Hopkins or no - that says something wildly positive about Douglas and/or Boutte. Or that new kid from RI, I suppose.
This is an excellent point, really. There are 9 WRs on the roster right now, they're only going to keep 5 max on the active roster, maybe one more on the PS.

By all accounts, Mapu blew everyone away at OTAs. Including earning an immediate handshake from Bill, and a walk off the field chatting one-on-one. Apparently he was...calling defensive signals and adjustments (!?!) and made a sick INT that would have been a pick-6 as well as another PBU that was a dropped INT.
Please please please

This is an excellent point, really. There are 9 WRs on the roster right now, they're only going to keep 5 max on the active roster, maybe one more on the PS.
...and that doesn't take into account how they think about Gesicki and Montgomery, who are both kind of hybrid WRs.

...and that doesn't take into account how they think about Gesicki and Montgomery, who are both kind of hybrid WRs.
The pure range of difference between who this team could deploy as the speed Z (Thornton), quick Z (Bourne/Douglas), "precision/YAC" Z (JuJu), and big Z (Gesicki) is tough to defend.

The reason I'd pick Parker over Bourne is because Bourne wasn't smart enough/dedicated enough to learn his routes. That's what got him in the doghouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back