The Quotes Thread

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
My favorite Terry Goodkind quote. It's applicable to sooo many situations:

“Faith and feelings are the warm marrow of evil. Unlike reason, faith and feelings provide no boundary to limit any delusion, any whim. They are virulent poison, giving the numbing illusion of moral sanction to every depravity ever hatched.

Faith and feelings are the darkness to reason’s light.

Reason is the very substance of truth itself. The glory that is life is wholly embraced through reason. In rejecting it, in rejecting reason, one embraces death.”​

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
My favorite Terry Goodkind quote. It's applicable to sooo many situations:

“Faith and feelings are the warm marrow of evil. Unlike reason, faith and feelings provide no boundary to limit any delusion, any whim. They are virulent poison, giving the numbing illusion of moral sanction to every depravity ever hatched.​

Faith and feelings are the darkness to reason’s light.​

Reason is the very substance of truth itself. The glory that is life is wholly embraced through reason. In rejecting it, in rejecting reason, one embraces death.”​

So much truth in this one quote. Tremendous.

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
“The only proper purpose of a government is to protect man's rights, which means: to protect him from physical violence. A proper government is only a policeman, acting as an agent of man's self-defense, and, as such, may only resort to force only against those who start the use of force." —Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction...Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a bandage for their wounds, I am not a sacrifice on their altars. There is nothing to take a man's freedom away from him, save other men. To be free, a man must be free of his brothers...I shall choose friends among men, but neither slaves nor masters. And I shall choose only such as please me, and them I shall love and respect, but neither command nor obey. And we shall join our hands when we wish, or walk alone when we so desire" -- Ayn Rand in "Anthem" (1937).

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
WRITTEN IN 1899:
“How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.”
— Winston Churchill, (1874-1965)
“The River War: An Historical Account of the Reconquest of the Soudan”, (1899), Volume II pp. 248–250.

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
“Persuade me or prove to me that I am mistaken in thought or deed, and I will gladly change—for it is the truth I seek, and the truth never harmed anyone. Harm comes from persisting in error and clinging to ignorance.” —Marcus Aurelius

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
“Persuade me or prove to me that I am mistaken in thought or deed, and I will gladly change—for it is the truth I seek, and the truth never harmed anyone. Harm comes from persisting in error and clinging to ignorance.” —Marcus Aurelius

I’ve read his “Meditations” many times. I have a great fondness for Stoic philosophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
johnlocke

johnlocke

Reaction score
This has a great deal of meaning in this funny ass passage from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

I didn't really get the meaning behind the passage when I was young and just thought it was fun to break it out and have my friends try when we were tripping in my teen years. Good memories though.

Adams was the man.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”​

― Douglas Adams, Life, the Universe and Everything

Last edited:

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
MMT refers to Modern Monetary Theory

I’ve been wanting to ask an MMT advocate since the beginning is: if we can borrow all the money we want without limit and without consequence, why raise taxes on anyone, as Democrats always want to do? For that matter, why tax anyone at all, if you can borrow (print) all the money you want?
- Steven Hayward

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
"Facts are stupid things..."

--Ronald Reagan
Now do Biden. Take your time and use that DB experience you obviously have (to make this place hum).

You could even roll them out a couple a day! :) <friendly jab>