The Remembrance Thread

I was 6 years old when my father died in a car accident. Nobody loved me so much and nobody told me: you will succeed! I missed him all my childhood, no one inspired me so much. I love you, dad!

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a great dad.

And welcome to the Planet.

I was 6 years old when my father died in a car accident. Nobody loved me so much and nobody told me: you will succeed! I missed him all my childhood, no one inspired me so much. I love you, dad!
Welcome!

And an excellent post with which to introduce yourself.

Cheers, :toast:

My father passed away Tuesday. He was long suffering from diabetes and cancer. My friends and I simply referred to him as "Senior" because I'm a Jr.

Baron Sr was a veteran, first in the Army, then in the National Guard. Both of my parents were in the military so I grew up an army brat, lived in a lot of different places, raised on C Rations.

Senior was a character...the epitome of "come as you are, be who you are". He never cared what anyone else thought except his friends. I do take after him that regard. He had a long career in the military, 20 years, but never advanced terribly far, he just wasn't that interested in rank, and he was forever getting into trouble while serving...he had an endless littany of stories to tell about the dumb things he and his buddies did while serving that got him into trouble time and again, and they were just hilarious.

He also worked for General Motors for his entire life, pretty much, first at the GM plant in Framingham. He was a hard core union man, lunch pail blue collar democrat.

Even to his dying days, he was passionate about life, and his opinions and values, and shortly before passing away, he finally painted over the 10 foot "FUCK TRUMP!" sign he had painted on the side of his barn. He once paid $200 to attend a fundraising dinner hosted by Michael Vick. He made sure to eat his dinner, given the price he paid for it, before he got bounced by Vick's bodyguards when Senior went after him on stage for the abuse and torture of animals, which is probably my father's greatest, lifelong passion.

He also got bounced from Woodstock '99 in Worcester because they were hosing people off the stage with a fire hose, and my father thought he could hold his ground, and figured he would try it out, so he hopped on the stage, braced himself, and lowered his shoulder into the fire hose...and beat it, shortly before security hauled his ass out of the event.

That's my dad. He had many flaws, but he loved life, loved his friends, and loved animals, and he was fearless. He didn't give a damn about rules or decorum, just went though life saying "Fuck it, this is what I want to do, and I'm gonna do it".

Rest in Peace, dad.

Attachments

• SR AND DOTTIE YELLOWSTONE.jpg
    SR AND DOTTIE YELLOWSTONE.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 12
  • sr campaign.jpg
    sr campaign.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 14
  • sr flutie day.jpg
    sr flutie day.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 15
  • SR, LADY, BANDIT, DEE DEE.jpg
    SR, LADY, BANDIT, DEE DEE.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 16
  • sr.jpg
    sr.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 14
Mods can Sticky if they want.

Just thought it would be nice to have a place for us to memorialize a few people in our lives.

Rock on, people.

My father passed away Tuesday. He was long suffering from diabetes and cancer. My friends and I simply referred to him as "Senior" because I'm a Jr.

Baron Sr was a veteran, first in the Army, then in the National Guard. Both of my parents were in the military so I grew up an army brat, lived in a lot of different places, raised on C Rations.

Senior was a character...the epitome of "come as you are, be who you are". He never cared what anyone else thought except his friends. I do take after him that regard. He had a long career in the military, 20 years, but never advanced terribly far, he just wasn't that interested in rank, and he was forever getting into trouble while serving...he had an endless littany of stories to tell about the dumb things he and his buddies did while serving that got him into trouble time and again, and they were just hilarious.

He also worked for General Motors for his entire life, pretty much, first at the GM plant in Framingham. He was a hard core union man, lunch pail blue collar democrat.

Even to his dying days, he was passionate about life, and his opinions and values, and shortly before passing away, he finally painted over the 10 foot "FUCK TRUMP!" sign he had painted on the side of his barn. He once paid $200 to attend a fundraising dinner hosted by Michael Vick. He made sure to eat his dinner, given the price he paid for it, before he got bounced by Vick's bodyguards when Senior went after him on stage for the abuse and torture of animals, which is probably my father's greatest, lifelong passion.

He also got bounced from Woodstock '99 in Worcester because they were hosing people off the stage with a fire hose, and my father thought he could hold his ground, and figured he would try it out, so he hopped on the stage, braced himself, and lowered his shoulder into the fire hose...and beat it, shortly before security hauled his ass out of the event.

That's my dad. He had many flaws, but he loved life, loved his friends, and loved animals, and he was fearless. He didn't give a damn about rules or decorum, just went though life saying "Fuck it, this is what I want to do, and I'm gonna do it".

Rest in Peace, dad.
Condolences, Baron. So sorry for your loss. Really. He sounds like an amazing Individual. The old life long union democrats were an entirely different thing than the left as we now see it. You for sure have an unending storeroom of memories.

Rest in peace, Senior.

Last edited:
I'll step up to the plate first.

My uncle died on Memorial Day after a bout with colon cancer. He was around 66 IIRC.

A lot of people say stuff like, "When he was born, they broke the mold". In this case, it's utterly true. When he was born, they didn't just break the mold, they stomped on it and scattered the pieces so another would never be made again, LOL.

My uncle was like a teenager trapped in an adult body. He spent most of his life as a painter and paperhanger, also doing pizza delivery and Chinese food delivery. Late in life he worked at Suffolk Downs on security. His main hobbies were fishing, playing cards, and when he was younger he liked firearms quite a bit. If anyone lived in the East Boston area from the late 70s to the early 00s, chances are he delivered you a pizza or some Chinese food. If anyone has a house in East Boston or the northern suburbs (e.g. Revere, Medford, Everett, etc.,.), chances are he painted or wallpapered a house on your street.

His name was John, but everyone knew him as "Junior". His other nicknames were "Muttonhead", "Goonior", and my personal favorite was "Fugly". ROFL His typical outfit was a pair of cutoff jeans and a tank top, and an ugly ballcap.

He wasn't a mean person, just a bit clueless. Childlike, childish... debatable. But, like my cat--who is always getting herself into trouble because she doesn't know any better--I don't think he was purposefully malicious. He might have been occasionally selfish or self-serving, but IMO it was simply because he didn't know any better. But he was a good guy. Long before we Sox fans heard of "Manny being Manny", most of his friends knew it was "Junior being Junior". ROFL

I have a lot of great childhood memories with my uncle. Delivering pizzas (I'd ride shotgun in the car, grabbing the doorframe and fearing for my life). Fishing (getting picked up at 5 in the morning to hit an all-night Dunkie's before setting up shop at Crystal Cove in Winthrop, or on the Cape Cod Canal or the beaches of Mashpee, or the rocks at the edge of one of the cities around Logan Airport where the planes would fly so close overhead you could wave to the people in the windows). Playing cards (we had a weekly Whist ritual in the late 80s to mid 90s... me, my dad, my uncle, and either my dad's friend or my uncle's friend... some nights we spent more nights laughing so hard we cried, or throwing the cards at each other in anger, LOL). We took some road trips to Disney a couple of times. He was sort of like a big brother, if you had a big brother who was kind of irresponsible, LOL. He was a hard guy not to like because of his easygoing, goofy personality.

When I visited him in the hospital, I didn't even recognize him. He was always a heavy guy, but the cancer had turned him into a swizzle stick. He looked like a concentration camp victim, couldn't have weighed 75 pounds; he looked like Frank Perdue on a starvation diet. I brought him a few home-printed pictures of East Boston, and some other of his favorite places (Disney World, Foxwoods, John's Pass near St. Pete). I also brought him some pr0n mags and scratchies. He was very happy to see those. Most people want flowers, or something like that; but I knew he'd want a pr0n mag and some scratchies. That pretty much sums him up.

I walked in, and he whispered, "Boy, are YOU ugly." I said, "Yeah, we'll you're Fugly... and now you're REALLY fugly." He shrugged and said, "Well... Some people go easy, some people go hard."

My aunt--his wife--died of lung cancer a few years back. RIP, John Rindone Jr. If there's a Heaven, you went there. On the other hand, if there's a Heaven, and my aunt is there, then you went someplace else, LOL.
Awesome retro on your dad! Everyone should be so lucky as to have a lovable peace of work for a dad. As an aside, re: Eastie and Pizza, Been a Santarpios devotee for a long long time, fabulous pizza And their open fire lamb kebobs amd there Hot red pepperswere to die for, sorry for the thirteen years it took me to reply. :rofl:

Rest in Peace, dad.
My condolences Baron.
Awesome dad who raised an awesome son.
A successful life,

Memory eternal.

Rest in Peace, dad.
So sorry Baron ..... nothing I can say will change much but that sucks...

~Dee~

:smilies-11117:

I don't venture here much so just saw this, Baron. What a great tribute to your dad. I feel like i know him a little now. may he r.i.p.

So based on today's news of how Dwayne Haskins was killed.

I went through this in my 30's. Seriously, my 2 best friends met the same demise within a 6 mo. period.

You gotta know I still think about you guys, Charlie, Little John.
Loved you.
In my heart always.

What sucks, the one friend was the one to call me about our other friend...
memories flooding back.

was just something that was really hard to get through. Wife helped me so much.

Last edited:
So based on today's news of how Dwayne Haskins was killed.

I went through this in my 30's. Seriously, my 2 best friends met the same demise within a 6 mo. period.

You gotta know I still think about you guys, Charlie, Little John.
Loved you.
In my heart always.

What sucks, the one friend was the one to call me about our other friend...
memories flooding back.

was just something that was really hard to get through. Wife helped me so much.
Memory triggers are everywhere. You just never know. I've touched on that just recently. Be well.

Cheers

Today for some reason I am remembering 2 best friends, Charlie and Little John , Both left me the same year. Hit by vehicles, Chariie would have been 66 tomorrow. Little John sometime in August would have turned 65 . It sucks I can't remember the day,

Just letting you know you guys are in my memory forever and I miss you both.
I want to thank you for being part of my life, Such good times,

Take care AOT hang with the kids they have so much to offer and have been through much and came out at the end of the tunnel. They are the future and you both of you did a great job always remember cause I’m sure your parents will remember. Trust me.

~Dee~

So my mom passed over. Just writing here so I can remember how I feel.

The Magic of a Mother's touch.

There is a magic in a Mother's touch.
and sunshine in her smile.
There is love in everything she does
to make everything worthwhile
We can find both hope and courage
Just by looking in her eyes
Her laughter is a source of joy
Her works are warm and wise
There is a kindness and compassion
To be found in her embrace.
and we see the Light of Heaven
shining from a Mother's face.

I was fortunate. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I will miss seeing your face.
I love you mommy.

babalu87, a long time Planeteer of reknown taken from us in May of 2019, would have been celebrating a 57th birthday today

for those of you unfamilliar w/ his EEE story, see: HERE

I'll be raising a beer in rememberance of you, babs, at gametime today

121695647_10214692905636470_8926690878855850256_n.jpg

61436916_10213364473082076_1761373196260474880_n.jpg

61453132_10213364474082101_2719500191483822080_n.jpg

Back