The Remembrance Thread

1 month ago, my brother and I lost our dad. Feel free to raise a glass in his honor.......even if he was a Jet fan.

Came close to losing a coupe of people int he last two months, but fortunately, it all worked out well enough. Still, I'd like to mention a little something.

Every year in August, a group of guys and I go to the remotest areas of Maine for a weekend and enjoy the wilderness, the company, the food, and the campfires together. it's an absolute blast and the one weekend we all look forward to every year.

Every night, weather permitting, after dinner we have a campfire and sit around it, have a few drinks, and just chat and laugh the evening away while watching for shooting stars.

I always, always take a moment to pause and appreciate it. I disengage myself from the conversation for a couple of minutes, and look at everyone around the campfire one at a time, trying to burn the memory into my mind, to remember it. I don't say anything, I just do it.

Why?

You just never know who won't be around next year, next campfire gathering.

The next time you are with friends and family, in those moments when there is no TV or distractions, where it's just you and them. Take a moment to take it all in, and appreciate it. Take a moment to create a mental home movie, something to remember them by, something that can make you smile later in life.

Campfires, cookouts, tailgating, or just sitting on the deck or in the backyard and enjoying the day is a good time to just realize how great that moment is and take it in, seer it into your memory.

It helps appreciate what we have, and those we have that make our lives worthwhile. Acknowledge it to yourself. Someday, someone there won't be there any more. It's a good time to appreciate them now, when you are having a good time, doing nothing but being there with them, rather than wait for someone to be gone.

I've got a lot of good memories doing this. I'm not sure if they would have stuck in my mind or not, but I don't think it hurts to actively focus on remembering a moment from time to time, when you have them.

I am very pleased to report that some family members of mine have just been notified that they will be awarded the Inaugural Cotton Fite Award this summer!

It is fitting, because Rev. Cotton was a very good friend of ours. He passed away last summer, but his memory remains with us, and I know my family members truly deserve to be the first recipients of the award in his memory.

So, with that...here's to Cotton. :toast: This will be a great summer memory in your honor.

CottonFite.jpeg

The Rev. Dr. Robert Cotton Fite died on August 15, 2017 from a cerebral hemorrhage after a fall at home. In life, Cotton was a beloved Episcopal priest, clinical psychologist and peace activist, as well as a loving husband, father, grandfather, uncle, great uncle, and dear friend to many around the world. He died painlessly and peacefully, surrounded by his family and caregivers.

Cotton was a remarkable person, known for his tireless and passionate dedication to peace, justice and service, as manifest through his preaching, his counseling work, and most recently, his advocacy in support of the Palestinian cause. He was a gifted preacher who inspired others with insight, candor and soulful inquiry. His leadership, both within the communities he served and on behalf of matters in the larger world, provoked healing and change, and his legacy will continue to inspire others who work toward those goals. Cotton will be greatly missed for his thoughtful perspective on myriad issues, for his unfailing kindness and good humor, and above all, his capacity for hope.

At the time of his death, Cotton was Priest Associate at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Evanston, IL, where he had been serving for almost 40 years. He was also serving his eighth year as board chair of Seraj Library Project, an organization created to build children’s libraries in rural Palestinian villages. During his tenure at Seraj, Cotton was gratified to watch these libraries become vibrant centers of refuge and community renewal.

Cotton’s voice was valued across the ecumenical and interfaith spectrum. Working faithfully and persistently within the Episcopal denomination, he was the first convener of the Palestine Israel Network (PIN) of the Episcopal Peace Fellowship and was a longtime member of the Chicago Faith Coalition. Cotton longed for a peaceful and just resolution to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Since 2003 when he made his first trip to Israel-Palestine, he devoted himself to active engagement in the Palestinian struggle for justice, educating, leading workshops and speaking to congregations and groups both locally and nationally on this issue. He was among the founding members of Kairos USA and supported many other initiatives in this cause, returning many times to lsrael-Palestine, where he had developed deep friendships and connections.

https://israelpalestinenews.org/rev-cotton-fite-worked-palestinian-rights/

Life is short,
and we do not have much time
to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us.
So be swift with love.
Make haste to be kind.
And as we go, may the blessing, the peace and the joy
of the Holy One,
who is in the midst of us
be among us and in our hearts this day and always.
AMEN.

—based on the words of Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Jd's Remembrance thread always comes to mind on the 4th as well as on memorial Day. When we think of the Birth of this nation and the ongoing fight to preserve it we think of all those who died for that cause. We must remember them. We must honor them. We must swear to continue to support the Amercan dream.

Another birthday kiddo,

Life keeps on rolling. I guess I am getting old because each year that rolls by I find more and more of the people I love are on your side of the vial, but I guess there are still people here who need me, so our reunion will have to wait.

But it's one year closer.

Jd's Remembrance thread always comes to mind on the 4th as well as on memorial Day. When we think of the Birth of this nation and the ongoing fight to preserve it we think of all those who died for that cause. We must remember them. We must honor them. We must swear to continue to support the Amercan dream.
You got it right.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Another birthday kiddo,

Life keeps on rolling. I guess I am getting old because each year that rolls by I find more and more of the people I love are on your side of the vial, but I guess there are still people here who need me, so our reunion will have to wait.

But it's one year closer.
I can only guess what this is about. But if I'm right i am so sorry for your loss and yes people need you here now.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

One year ago this evening, jarred from slumber by a frantic phone call from my daughter.
Bullets were buzzbing by her head and people were down and bleeding around her.
It was by far the most helpless and terrifying 10 minutes of my life. I am so grateful she and her cousin escaped from that nightmare physically unscathed. I am so sorry for those less fortunate and I remember them and their loved ones today probably more than most.

Daughter is visiting today. we are going to go out and walk, hug, love and do things together and I will be there for her in anyway I can.

I woke up this morning, looked at the digital phone clock and it said 4:31 AM.

I come into my office and listen to the local radio via iheart and am reminded that was the exact time of the Northridge quake I went through 25 years ago. Probably just coincidence but...

My grandmother was given her last rites this morning. I have, all my life, been very close to my grandparents. They were practically foster parents to me.

She has lived a long and full life, outlived all of her siblings, and her husband.

I can honestly say that everyone who knew her, loved her. She adored poetry, had many, many poems memorized and could recite them on demand. She was also an amateur poet herself, so I will share one of hers here;

A LEARNER

I learned so much from you.
It should have been the other way around,
But I’m not surprised that the student became the teacher.

You taught me that success is measured by small
accomplishments,
not in great leaps and bountiful gains.

You showed me the truth of each new day – a living
symphony of sounds and sights and the joy
of being part of it.

For me, you opened doors to new ideas and experiences
and taught me that we are created equal in
our ability to grab onto life and stake a claim, finding
our own little niche, for better or for worse.

You taught me the joy of receiving and the thrill of giving,
accepting good fortune graciously and in return giving back to
the best of your potential – as you have done.

I learned that beneath the camouflage of everyday faces,
we all share the same desires and goals, and that the
camouflage is worn as protection
against the cynics and the judgmental.

You proved that there is pride in doing a job and doing it well.
You have taught me that even the wingless can fly.
That all it takes is the courage to try and the willingness
to take the flight.

You are teaching me that there is a time to cling
and a time to let go. It’s a hard lesson and one I’m still struggling
with, hoping to master it in the time remaining.

Thank you for taking a few moments of your life to pay her some respect. It is appreciated.

My grandmother was given her last rites this morning. I have, all my life, been very close to my grandparents. They were practically foster parents to me.

She has lived a long and full life, outlived all of her siblings, and her husband.

I can honestly say that everyone who knew her, loved her. She adored poetry, had many, many poems memorized and could recite them on demand. She was also an amateur poet herself, so I will share one of hers here;

A LEARNER

accomplishments,

of being part of it.

to take the flight.

Thank you for taking a few moments of your life to pay her some respect. It is appreciated.

wuv

A LEARNER

accomplishments,

of being part of it.

to take the flight.

Actually thank you for sharing this, thanks for the reminder that Grandparents are a blessing.

Actually thank you for sharing this, thanks for the reminder that Grandparents are a blessing.

Won't rehash it, but I've talked about my summers on my grandparents' farm in Northern VT. Had to work. Learned about the demanding, unyielding requirements of a small Vermont Dairy farmer. Learned skills, responsibility, especially to those depending on you, teamwork. So much absorbed. Two of the hardest working people I've ever known. Bless them.

Cheers, to Gram and Gramp, :toast:

Won't rehash it, but I've talked about my summers on my grandparents' farm in Northern VT. Had to work. Learned about the demanding, unyielding requirements of a small Vermont Dairy farmer. Learned skills, responsibility, especially to those depending on you, teamwork. So much absorbed. Two of the hardest working people I've ever known. Bless them.

Cheers, to Gram and Gramp, :toast:

That isn't an udder that you're milking Tim... :coffee:

Not a personal connection, but one of the Baron's idols has passed away. He was a household name in the bushcraft and survival community, and I have his books in the library at my cabin. I peruse them on rainy days often.

RIP Mors Kochansky

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wwPYNHeoPM8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some of his more well known quotes;

The more you know, the less you carry - By far the most famous

The knife is the balance point for survival in the bush. Without it, you have to stay on the move. With it, you create the opportunity to rest.

Next to knowing how to dress well, fire is one of the most important bush skills there are, because it is one of the few means available to make up most great deficiencies.

Three years ago tonight was the most terrifying night of my life. Remembering those that lost their lives and so grateful my daughter and niece were spared.

Back